2019 Derpibooru Community Collab

T72B
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

@Cyan Lightning  
all right then

Ive got a question that’s somewhat constructive:

Recently I have been wanting to try digital art. Ive tried free mousing drawings in gimp to less than stellar results. So what exactly do I need to upgrade from pencil and paper to what most other people here use? software, and is there some hardware? like touch screen monitor or something?

thanks
Cyan Lightning
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

The Prodigy Unicorn
@T72B  
I use mostly mouse for my art. Though I have drawing table. But I rarely use it. Though not sure, what you mean upgrade. But you mean by something like

Then either you can learn tracing, your traditional artwork to digital using a vector software like CorelDRAW, Illustrator or Inkscape or try to learn digital painting by learning to use graphic table with raster software like Photoshop, Paint Tool Sai and if you really want to not spend money Paint.net or MS Paint
Bigshot232
Blue Skies - For Patreon supporters
When you Ponk - Derpi Supporter
Element of Generosity - For users who have donated to the site
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Economist -
Silver Bit -
Heart Gem -

Mr. Works'alot
@T72B  
This will be entirely your preference. I prefer drawing digitally as I make alot of mistakes in my inital works and being able to undo alot is quite handy.

You can also do your inital sketch on paper and scan it into your computer, using the pen / vector tool to trace it. Cyans suggestions are good, but theirs also Clip Studio for raster drawing and affinity design for vectoring (programs I use).
T72B
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@Cyan Lightning  
The problem is I dont know much if anything about digital art, so I dont know what I actually want from what is available.

well at least now i know of a few terms so that I can start to look stuff up
Cyan Lightning
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

The Prodigy Unicorn
@T72B  
Well, that’s exactly how I feel, when I first started. I don’t know anything about vector art and then. I, started practicing, creating vector and stuff. So yeah, all I suggest is just getting started, don’t be afraid to make a bad art or failing, because because those two are the point where we can learn what we can and can’t, so we can improve it.
Terton
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Barghest Best Girl
I just can’t get my head around Inkscape. Back when I joined the fandom and did vectors (back in 2011, blimey) I used Adobe Illustrator, and even though I haven’t used that in years (because it was a yarr’d version that dun did broke on me) I still have the mindset of using it whenever I try to use Inkscape, so I get confused wondering where all my Illustrator tools are. :v

How I didn’t have that same problem when switching from Paint Tool SAI to Clip Studio though, I’ll never know…
T72B

@LightningBolt @Ninji @Cyan Lightning @Bigshot232

Thanks for the info! there is certainly a hell of alot more than I was expecting. going to give inskscape a shot, but also its really good to know that there is such a thing as a graphics tablet. and that they can actually be so cheap! I was dreading that something like that was going to be like $1000 touch screen monitor or something. though those do certainly be a thing.

guess I have alot of info to sort through wile I figure this all out
Terton
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Barghest Best Girl
$1000 touch screen monitor or something. though those do certainly be a thing.

Aiming for one of them (or something like it) to be my next tablet, assuming my current doesn’t break in the time between now and whenever that will be. Might even have to consider getting a laptop after that to use my current tablet with on the go.
Cyan Lightning
Non-Fungible Trixie -

The Prodigy Unicorn
@T72B  
Just another tips. While your drawing, you shouldn’t only focus on improving. But but you should focus on your enjoyment on drawing too. If for example you start to not enjoying it, it’s good idea to take day off or just rest from drawing, maybe play a game, watch movies, hang with friends or just do shitposting XD. The point is to break once in awhile.

Honestly, from my experience. Aiming just to improve on something can ending up with burn out and trust me recovering from burn out can take quite awhile. I remember I ending with burn out that lasted for months and it wasn’t fun at all. So yeah at the end practice and rest when you need.
Bigshot232
Blue Skies - For Patreon supporters
When you Ponk - Derpi Supporter
Element of Generosity - For users who have donated to the site
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Economist -
Silver Bit -
Heart Gem -

Mr. Works'alot
@T72B  
I suggest looking at what you can do for free and try them out from there. Buying extra stuff can become quite expensive and kinda risky, especially if you buy all the kit and end up not liking it.

Not try to scare you off, but as a example: I use a Cintiq 13HD tablet (GBP 500) (it has a screen, so like drawing on paper) with Clip Studio EX (GBP 160) and Affinity Design / Photo (GBP 80). Thats not including other things like drawing glove and stuff, and other programs i tried before getting these, but thats roughly GBP 740 or roughly USD 940.

Edit:  
If you want to draw, get a drawing program like Paint tool Sai or Clip Studio or something. Don’t get Photoshop, thats for photo editing and painting; its takes raw pen input, which isn’t good for drawing unless your super good at it.
T72B

@Bigshot232  
well I was considering doing some art supply upgrades, so new pencils, some proper paper, proper drawing pens, better colored pencils/art markers, etc. so not exactly cheap. so the possibility some something more versatile, more powerful and cheaper is exciting.

also has anyone used autodesk sketch book? seems to be free. is it any good? https://sketchbook.com/
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
Others got their kirin badges a week ago, but I’m still sitting here alone without it, wondering if I was simply forgotten? I’d really like to have that cute Autumn Blaze badge…

I’ve been meaning to ask about this several times now, but I tried to get the best artist badge first, but the badge thread is dead, so I guess I’ll ask about this then.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Time for the next one!