Ask the mods anything

Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Jaredking203  
I feel like I’ve been all over the site today (Monday), but I guess a lot of that wouldn’t be visible to normal users … But, weekends here CAN be a bit of a headache sometimes. So taking a couple days away from the fandom is sometimes a really good idea …

The site is a lot like a giant fan convention. You spend a few days trying to help everyone have fun, and refilling the soda machines, and trying to keep that handful of convention goers that always seems to show up from ripping each other’s throats out … and then having more fun.

So, a day or two away from the site to recharge does help with the whole ‘this is a fan convention that runs 52 weeks a year, year after year’ thing.

For me though that ‘take a break’ is usually later in the week when my day job is more pressing because of all the stuff that has to get done before Friday.

@Background Pony #6DC5  
Is there a way to access a list of the IDs of all images in a Gallery?

Short of maybe going through the API or some sort of wrapper for the site itself in a scripted browser, I can’t think of a way to do that … I don’t think there’s a way within the regular user interface short of opening every image and then parsing the resulting string.

@Mikey  
Can confirm. Mikey has greater stamina for all of this than I sometimes do.
Background Pony #6DC5
@Ciaran

Thanks anyway. Failing that, is there just a way I can access the images in a list by only knowing their position in the list? It seems like to get to the image itself I need to know its ID, and that’s the issue
R33lKhun1sP0n3
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

The Genie Artist
Can we have a feature where Artists can change the main Source File of an image On/off-site where if you accidentally forgot to add something or want to change the one you made you can replace it with another file? I am just curious because Furaffinity and Deviantart have the same mechanics to do so.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@R33lKhun1sP0n3  
@Princess Celestia  
She means “no”, because we actually had similar functionality in the (distant) past, and while most users didn’t cause any issues, a handful abused it to troll and disrupt everyone else.

The potential for abuse is much higher on an imageboard where most everyone visits the main front page over an artist-focused site where people tend to go straight to an image or artist’s gallery.
R33lKhun1sP0n3
Non-Fungible Trixie -

The Genie Artist
@The Smiling Pony  
I see. Well if that’s the case can only the Artist or uploader that uploaded the image change it? Because of course if some random person on the site is give the power, they will abuse it. But if it’s the uploader or original artist then maybe that might crack down on some of the trolling. But if it would still be no, then I understand completely.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@R33lKhun1sP0n3  
That’s how it was, it was still abused to troll people and mess with the site.

The abuse potential and moderation cost of undoing it is simply too high. It sucks, we had always wanted the site to be more user friendly and convenient, but it just takes a few cretins to ruin things for everyone.
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@R33lKhun1sP0n3  
In the past there have been some uploaders and artists who very much would have abused the ability to replace images. Very, very much. Even when they need to report the image there’s been attempts to radically alter the message of the image so people ended up “Liking” or “Favoriting” an image that got changed. Some I think appeared to be doing it to game the voting system, others did it I think because of an obsessive need to ‘get things in the right order’ or to create a sequence of images in their uploads that told a story or forced the most upvoted images to the front of their list - even if the people who voted on those images didn’t vote (or downvoted) on the image they wanted to replace it with … some I think might have just been trolling.

When “This Thing” has votes and favorites and comments attached to it, the ability to change “This Thing” to something else is exploitable.

If you have an image that you would like replaced, you can report the image for a reason of “Other” and let us know you’d like the image replaced, and give us a link to the replacement in the provided text field. We usually turn around those kinds of requests in an hour or two.
R33lKhun1sP0n3
Non-Fungible Trixie -

The Genie Artist
@The Smiling Pony  
Understandable. Well I thought I’d just provide my two bits since I wanted to change a piece of art that brought a bit of personal backlash and painful memories. Anyway, I might favorite this blog in case I need to ask another question.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@R33lKhun1sP0n3  
Please report the image and provide a link to the replacement - if the replacement is more than a fix though, like fixing text or color or something like that, then it might be better to upload the new image and take the old one down.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide