Automotive enthusiasts?

Barry Tone
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Needs to know Hebrew.
@FuckItsDaytimeAgain

Alrighty. No worries.

So you have the Amsoil European Formula 5w40 Classic Formula which, as I found out, is rated for Diesels. I’m surprised, I didn’t know about this one; it doesn’t show up under Amsoil’s “Diesel Oils” section (oh, dear.) I’m guessing it’s not fit for all Diesel Engines. You got a break with it, here’s why:

As far as Viscosity goes (and hence, fuel economy,) this 5w40 is more of a 0w40. I’m even more surprised, I didn’t realize there were any Amsoil Diesel Oils in the xw40 range that are this thin:

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445) - 13.6  
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445) - 83.3

To compare, Renewable Lubricants’ Low Ash 5w40 is:

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445) - 14.0  
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445) - 76.9

Huh. I wasn’t expecting this, either; between these two oils, although the Amsoil 5w40 that you have in your car now is thinner when hot, RLI’s oil is thinner when cold.

In short, I think the Amsoil 5w40 you have in your car now is about as fuel efficient as you can get it without sacrificing engine longevity; Shell T6 0w40 (yes, it exists; please don’t mistake it for 5w40) is thinner, but I don’t expect it to give near as much protection to the engine. Here are its viscosity ratings:

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445) - 13.2  
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445) - 75

I won’t talk about engine longevity based on oil at the moment, I think I’ve covered enough for now.

Sources:

Amsoil European Formula 5w40 Data Sheet (4 different oils are listed here, your oil is listed as “EFM.”)

Renewable Lubricants 5w40 Low Ash Data Sheet

Shell T6 0w40
FuckItsDaytimeAgain
Wallet After Summer Sale -

I am the sober horse
@BarryFromMars  
Hey thanks that’s some great info.

When you search around you might find lots of threads around the PD engine talking how VW 505.01 certified oil (which this is) is not the best in terms of wear. Some show it increased their wear rates from oil tests, while others claim they’ve achieved way higher fuel economies from this oil.

Both make sense, as this is apparently one of the thinnest oils available, and the injector cams (unit injectors) run on high pressure at the cam lobe.

What doesn’t make sense is how VW heavily warns you to only use 505.01 oil in their engines (and to carry a quart around), as other oils might cause engine failures (the car came with a door hanger specifically about this)

Some suspect it has to do with emission certifications, either has to do with oil vaporization or maybe it’s formulated to avoid damage to the catalytic converter (which this one has).

On other news, I found out the brake issue most probably has to do with the brake booster check valve.
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

The brand new Genesis GV80.

full

full

My first impressions are that the rear corners are too big a blind spot, I would prefer a regular three spoke steering wheel, and the grill is too big. I like the GV80, but overall I think the Lincoln Aviator is more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe the GV80 will grow on me if I can see it in person.
RainbowDash69
Eden Shallowleaf - For supporting the site
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Emerald - For users who have donated to the site
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event

Visit Friendship Daily!
GMC is making a similar feature to compete with Rivian’s Tank Turn feature…. Behold the new Yukon hurricane turn !!

@kleptomage  
The SUV has unique headlights. The rear blind spots are so very common in these new SUVs. I’ll take the Aviator over the Genesis model
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@RainbowDash69  
I think the smaller GV70 will be better than the GV80 if they keep the twin turbo V6 and make it fun to drive.

That 180 turn feature would be great for quick U-turns. I want to try that.
Barry Tone
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Needs to know Hebrew.
@FuckItsDaytimeAgain

You’re welcome.

Oil Viscosity has a relationship with fuel economy; there’s a tradeoff between the two. The lower the viscosity, the higher the fuel efficiency but at the cost of engine longevity. Your engine could probably run a slightly thicker 5w40, but since you’re using Amsoil which is an exceptional company that makes exceptional oils, perhaps there’s no reason to change.
kleptomage

@TundraArcticWolf  
I see some Bentley Bentayga in the GV80. Figures since Hyundai snagged Sangyup Lee from Bentley.

The problem with most SUVs/crossovers is that they come in two varieties: dull as dishwater mass market SUVs and unreliable luxury SUVs stuffed with gimmicks like the BMW X5 or Land Rover. SUVs like the GV80 interest me because they break the mold - it’s luxury I can trust without silly fluff like hand gestures for changing the radio or pop-out door handles.
MagpulPony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Artist -

Fuck Russia
@kleptomage  
That’s why I prefer still having at least some traditional gauges, and a mechanical parking brake. Some things you don’t need to over engineer when it will just break later.
TundraArcticWolf
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Friendly Arctic Wolf
@kleptomage

I found a wikipedia page on the Genesis GV80 about what type of engines as well as what type of equipment and safety features will be available:

“It will be available with three engines: a turbocharged 2.5L unit with 300 horsepower, a turbocharged 3.5L unit with 375 horsepower and a turbocharged 3.0L diesel with 274 horsepower. The diesel engine will only be available in select markets.

The GV80 features a high level of equipment like Navigation-based Smart Cruise Control (ASCC), Remote Smart Parking Assist, NFC Digital Key, Around View Monitor (AVM), 22” Wheels, Nappa Leather Seats, 14.5” Touchscreen Infotainment display with 18 speakers Lexicon Audio System , Electric Side Curtains, Driver Controlled 2nd row and 3rd row seats.

The safety system includes 10 airbags, Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist, Reverse Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist, Driver Attention Warning, Blind Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist, Automatic High Beam Assist and Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS).”
kleptomage

@MagpulPony  
I guess I wouldn’t be opposed to all digital gauges. Screens are pretty good these days and with a digital display the gauges can be customized.

As for a parking brake, I never use it so whatever.
SubaruAnon

With SKS innawoods
It’s been a bit since I’ve first posted here, but I have some things I want to share.

In August of last year I bought a 2005 Subaru outback 2.5i limited with 207,000 miles. (Still original head gaskets) It lasted me less than 100 miles before the transmission broke. About a month ago I fixed it by replacing it, (I also did a tune-up, water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, and all coil packs and their respective wires.) But, even more recently I discovered the FWD conversion fuse was in. I take it out, and put it in reverse, I then hear a massive bang from the back.

Now, I researched this and found out I made a mistake when buying that transmission. It’s from a legacy, and it has a slightly different final drive ratio from the outback, (4.11 vs the outbacks 4.44) I don’t believe this is the cause of the bang though. I think the diff was compromised before I even bought it, which would explain why the FWD fuse was in.

So now I’ve bought a new diff from a legacy to match the transmission. I’m installing it this weekend.

I have more problems though. Here’s everything that needs work:

Not blowing heat, heater core needs to be flushed.

Diff replacement.

And just today I found some kinda metal in my left rear tire. It’s not leaking though. Probably gonna patch it.

I still love this car, it’s just been a piece of work.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide