Religious Disscusion Thread

Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
Romans 13:9, KJV
For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Sad how many Christians seem to “forget” this part when it inconveniences them.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
To carry over a topic brought up in the other religion thread:
Gendering gods, or really applying any mortal/earthly classifications upon them, is a basically fruitless endeavor.
Beings that could be classified as gods would be well beyond our ability to classify.
While I do not view the gods as omnipotent nor omniscient, I believe even limited gods would not have definable characteristics that would make sense to human understanding.
Gods are like the wind, or water. Our minds struggle to make sense of their forms in their natural state, so we compress their being down into shapes we can reckon with.
Be that a big man with a white beard, or a leaf clad goddess. In truth. They are likely more ephemeral constructs than what we would classify as distinct beings.
Background Pony #A15E
@Zincy
Depends on the religion.
For example, in Christianity, God is being referred to using male pronouns, but it’s done to reflect the relationships within the Holy Trinity (Son/Father) rather than the nature of God. Jesus has a gender, but that’s due to the fact that Jesus is a human in addition to being a God.
On the other hand, in some pagan religions, gods have clear genders. Some of them might be nonbinary, but that’s still defined.
Meanlucario
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
1 Corinthians 10:26 (KJV)
For the earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof.
I question this, considering what came before and after are about God being beyond the earthly. Could be a translation thing where King James wanted to justify earthly desires through “divine right” in a way.
Background Pony #A15E
@Meanlucario
There are also passages saying that Satan rules this world, but this is not literal. It means that Satan is free to tempt people and a lot of people do listen to him. Even if it was literal, ruler is not the same as rightful owner.
Similarly, Adam and Eve are supposed to benefit from and take care of Earth, but they are also not the owners.
At least that’s how I understand it and I don’t think I am alone. There is a theme, found in some prayers and religious songs, that you can’t really offer anything material to God because everything in this world is already His, so you offer your faith/prayer/good deeds/etc.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that in some parts of the Bible, “world” does not mean Earth or universe, but the attitude of caring only about worldly things, or the people who have this attitude.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
Not going to lie, reading Paul’s views on the differences between men and women and not understanding nature at all in Corinthians was painful.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
To explain myself (two weeks later):
1 Corinthians 11:2-16
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
It makes little sense for men and women to be treated differently this way, considering that God created both (using Adam’s hip as a base but still) and God being non-binary. Paul also doesn’t realize that males tend to be the pretty ones in nature, not the females. In nature, men having long hair would be encouraged for finding a suitable mate. And you got to love “9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man” when the rest of it is going about how women were created for the men (which goes against his claim of get hitched or be single for life is the way to go).
Background Pony #A15E
@Meanlucario
> be Paul, one of the leaders of the Church
> do important Church things
> some woman in Corinth refuses put on a hat
> people are writing you angry letters about it
> they split into the Hat Party and the Hatless Party
> there’s gerrymandering already
> they are asking you whether the hat should be on or not
> sigh
> write them a letter with a rant on the importance of hats
> randomly mention angels to keep people happy
> Corinthians are amazed at your wisdom
> mission accomplished
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
You’re on the precipice of a very keen understanding.
That the Bible is fanfic garbo.
Assuming for a minute that Christianity is correct, and that Jesus and God exist, even if I were a Christian I wouldn’t buy into the Bible.
It’s a book written by mortal, biased, men many, many years after their suppose savior died, attempting to understand the will of a being that, by all rights, would be an incomprehensible cosmic eldritch horror.
The Bible is fallible humans with their own agendas trying to assert the “will” of a God.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
Why does the Garden of Eve and Eve share a name? I thought Adam was the “special” one.
@Zincy
Time to disappoint you, since I’m sticking to Christianity and am going with the bible being manipulated and altered to fit people’s views since day 0. If God was going to judge base on people’s understanding of his word, he’s make it so literally set in stone and everyone who saw it would instantly understand what it said, no matter what languages they understood.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Au contraire, you did not disappoint. That was what I meant. That regardless of whether Christianity is correct/incorrect that the Bible is an inaccurate and contradictory tome written by biased men, used and abused over the eons.
Separating Christianity from the Bible is a far better way to live than to be tethered to a strict reading of the scriptures. If more Christians thought that way, there would be less hate and judgement in the world.
Background Pony #A15E
@Zincy
One can treat the Bible as God’s infallible word and still not interpret everything literally. Consider for example the story of Noah. Its possible interpretations are:
  1. Bible is God’s literal word and this really happened as described, with the flood, ark and everything.
  2. Bible is God’s literal word and this is a story by which God wanted to convey a message (like Jesus’ parables).
  3. Bible is God’s word corrupted by humans and this really happened.
  4. Bible is God’s word corrupted by humans and this is a parable.
  5. Bible is entirely a human thing and this really happened.
  6. Bible is entirely a human thing and this is a parable.
    n. There are more interpretations possible.
Bible is full of stories and allegories and it’s silly to treat everything literally. But you don’t need to consider it a fanfic to not treat everything literally.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
Time for my weekly Bible criticizing. King James Version as usual.
2 Corinthians 6:14-17
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
I see Paul wants to create a divide to cast stones. And are we not their way to salvation through us to God? Like Jesus was for you and the other disciples?
2 Corinthians 9:9-10
9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
Didn’t Jesus talk about charity is nice but futile due to there always being poor people and orphans no matter how much you donate? Why after his “death” do you sing a different tune? And wouldn’t making donations connected to how “righteous” you are cause people to donate to claim they are righteous when donating is the only good thing they did?
2 Corinthians 10:3-4
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
Using guns and blades to force others to believe in Jesus and branches of Christianity going to war with itself and other faiths using weapons says otherwise. Christianity has a bloody history, and not in the way the Bible describes it.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
On another note, why are people saying the “he without sin cast the first stone” part of the NT was added later? What’s the evidence? A TL;DR would be appreciated.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
I just watched Overly Sarcastic Productions’s video on Faustian Bargains, and Red made an interesting point. Job shows Satan as God’s no-man and apparently their book (the Tanakh I believe) doesn’t mention eternal damnation in it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide