What makes an opinion valid?

EyeGuy
Duck - quack
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Dreading Season 9
I have no idea whether this goes on the pony discussion thread, or this one, because this topic could apply to many things, but I feel like it applies to the brony fandom the most.

See, a long time ago, facts and opinions were easy to distinguish. Facts were things that were objective (for instance, “the sky is blue” is a fact), while opinions were things that were subjective (“the sky is pretty to look at” is an opinion). Simple as that, right?

But nowadays it seems like the boundary between fact and opinion has become blurred. Nowadays it seems like some opinions are more “valid” than others.

Every single time I defend something controversial about post-Faust MLP, from A Canterlot Wedding to everything the movie did, I get responses saying that these peoples’ negative opinions are valid.

Are you saying that my positive opinions are invalid and that I’m wrong for liking MLP? If this is the case, then you understand why I wish for the show’s cancellation.
Background Pony #BB9A
Honestly, I have no answer for that question either. I do know that sometimes when you disagree with popular opinion, sometimes people will keep debating it until they feel like they’ve “won”. Or until everyone stops replying.

Even though I liked to think of myself as above it, I care about other peoples opinions as well. Even though I tried really hard to ignore them. It feels embarrassing admitting that.

What I originally wanted to say was “If you still enjoy the show, that’s all that really matters. Who cares what other people think” even though I can’t follow my own advice.

In my case I found new hobbies and interests, I still come back here to enjoy fanart and using the forums.

Sorry I couldn’t answer your question. I just felt like replying.
Background Pony #8E50
@EyeGuy  
That was you - not someone else.

You’re the one who is spreading that message in each one of those examples.

That hatred is coming from you - whether you got it from someone else or not is not an excuse for you spreading it to others.

And if anyone said that they like the show and don’t understand why you are throwing so much hatred toward it, you called them an ass-kissing Hasdrone or accuse them of having Stockholm syndrome.

So - what do you mean when you say your “my positive opinions”? Do you have an example of a positive opinion that you have expressed on this site, that wasn’t wrapped in a backhand insult to “everyone else”?
EyeGuy
Duck - quack
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Dreading Season 9
@Background Pony #22EC  
I can’t think of any positive opinions I’ve expressed on this site right now, but I can think of ones that I expressed on Equestria Daily, deviantART, YouTube, and the MLP subreddit.
Background Pony #8E50
@EyeGuy  
Then maybe you should ask THOSE people.

Because if you can’t think of any positive opinions that you’ve expressed on this site, if all you can remember about your time here is saying negative things about the show, posting trolling images designed to create drama or ridicule others, or insults you made toward others who were just talking about how much they enjoy the show, then maybe there’s your answer.
EyeGuy
Duck - quack

Dreading Season 9
@Background Pony #22EC  
I have a bad reputation on other brony sites too. The mods of the MLP sub even threatened to ban me if I made another drama post or comment.

Oh, and it’s been a long time since I directly insulted anyone for unironically enjoying the show, so stop bringing that up.
Background Pony #8E50
@EyeGuy  
If you’d like to be here and enjoy the show with everyone else, you can do that.

You can post positive opinions right now - don’t compare them to anyone else or ask why “everyone else” disagrees, just say;

“I liked this last episode. It was fun and I’m looking forward to more” - if that’s how you really feel.

Try it - see what happens. You might be surprised.

(you might want to create a new profile though, your current one has quite a history here).
Megalobronia
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Nintendo Nerd
What I think makes an opinion valid:
  • Not insulting/disrespecting others who like or dislike something
  • Not outright calling a character a “Mary Sue”
  • Making sure you have all your facts straight and not missing the point (this point’s debatable)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide