Cartoon/Western Animation General

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Hali the Emoji girl

I’ve thought a lot about the show lately, as I like to analyze things that I like. And there’ a variety of reasons that make it a good show.

First and foremost are the characters. I’m not going to say they’re Shakespearean levels of depth,but the main cast is at least a fair bit more deep and complex than standard cartoon fair. Catra in particular, especially the toxic, obsessive, nature toward Adora. Spoiled a bit- That kind of twisted love cycle is something rarely explored in cartoons. It really shows off some dark, dark aspects of human nature. Even the more shallow characters are fun. They’re legitimately interesting, fun, and relatable.

Secondly, there is almost no tokenism in the story. Many people, myself included, worried it would just be a “hey come check out our gay” situation where a character is “the gay one” or “the trans one” with very little else about them. That ended up not being the case, thankfully. There is a lot of representation, but none of it is the central aspect of any character. The clearly gay characters don’t run around shouting from the roof tops that they’re gay, they’re just characters that also happen to be gay. Same goes for any other trait. They just focused on making good, interesting characters and then organically fitting in the representation where it fit well.

The overall aesthetic is also very nice. The magitech space opera look is always fun, and overall the show is quite pleasing on the eyes. The first season has a little bit of jank in the animation, but by the second season that’s pretty much fixed save for the normal amount of cartoon buggery. The 4th and 5th seasons in particular have some very well animated moments. It’s also nice that the characters all have different body types, as the original used uniformity for the sake of selling more toys.

The voice acting is also amazing, with some pretty high level talent. Big names like Keston John, Sandra Oh, Daniel Dae Kim, and Lorraine Toussaint all do phenomenal work beside relative newcomers.

The story also has some legitimate gut punches, and deals with some heavy stuff. Actually touching on several topics that you never see brought up in cartoons. Other shows have touched on issues of abandonment, cycles of abuse, and toxic relationships, but She Ra goes wholehog into the deep end of a few of those.

It’s a smart, well rounded show with interesting characters, some actually heavy themes, and a goes heavy on the character dynamics. It is a character driven show, which I like.

Plus Catra is amazing. Best bipolar catgirl.

full
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@DarkObsidian
I am very much looking forward to Mark Hamil voicing Skeletor. Because that is just perfect casting.

While I’m not a big “He-Man/She-Ra/Masters of the Universe” fan, (in fact, I kinda wish somebody would make a separate thread for that, because that’s all anyone talks about here) that is awesome. I can totally see him doing the voice.

In fact, besides Jim Carry, Mark Hamil is the only other person I could imagine playing Dr. Robotnik in the Sonic movie. (Especially, after seeing his memorable cameo in the new Netflix MST3K series revival.)
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@northern haste  
I didn’t see it, I guess these threads get burried easily.

@TheDog  
@Beau Skunky
Pretty sure one of the promos had him say it several times to let the old-school fans know they’re not being leashed so much.

Yeah, it’s nice they got less restriction, but also didn’t abuse it too much, and go overboard with the edge/vulgarity. (Like “Ren & Stimpy” did.)
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Hali the Emoji girl  
Thanks,I can’t post links properly on my phone.  
On your question about selling toys, there’s nothing wrong with that if it doesn’t affect the quality of the show itself. The 80’s He-man and She-ra would have looked stilted with similarly designed characters regardless,and the toys never dictated what the show did. Sometimes they were given suggestions on specific Characters to use,but they weren’t forced. Stinkor I’ve heard was outright rejected.  
Unfortunately with the new She-ra Mattel seems to have no interest in toys at all. We got two figures from super7, and a line of dolls,which We really had to twist Mattel’s arm for. I want a more show accurate Catra,and Madame Razz,Huntara, Entrapta,little kid Adora and Catra(potential two-pack),I could go on. Guess I’ll be waiting for MOTU Classics to get around to doing new She-ra.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Hali the Emoji girl  
While not my thing personally, it’s surprising that on a site like this, (where people are pretty open about their fetishes and I remember an admin discussing sex before in a semi-SFW thread before) a thread like that wouldn’t get attention.

Now I know for sure people ignore the forum main pages, or new topics get buried too easily by ongoing subjects.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Dex Stewart

The fans have taken up the calling on the toy front.

Lots of She Ra merch on Redbubble, Amazon, and specialty stuff like Displates and wall scrolls.
Thanotos Omega
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

IDEA: Batman Beyond movie featuring The Phantasm, who is Max after Mad Stan killed her family in one of his random attacks, Blight Returns and hopes to turn the Phantasm on both Batman and his son.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide