Computers general(help, advice, talk)

uc9
Thread Starter - /nsfw-monster-musume-thread

Corrupter of the pure
You know we haven’t had a thread like this yet now that I think about it.

If you need help on something or are thinking about making your own computer yourself it ask away. If you just want to chat about something go ahead. If you get asked twenty times in a row the same question about the same problem then make a post explaining to people how to fix it.

I am only semi-familiar with windows; I’m more of the linux side so if you need help installing linux/steamos or need help installing your video driver that’s easy.

ADVICE ON MAKING YOUR COMPUTER FASTER  
For windows users here’s a extremely good piece of advice on how to make your computer faster. Windows is more focused towards graphics and making your computer look pretty; that’s why it’s such a pain in the ass resource requirement wise. So I’m going to list off a bunch of things that will help it be faster.

1)Install a alternate window shell. The default windows shell(your desktop and sort of stuff when you are on your computer) is as slow as old people fucking.

2)Install a different windows file manager. The default one is slow.

3)Install bleachbit. Click everything, EXCEPT under “system” you’ll see a checkbox for, “free disk space”; leave that unchecked and I’ll get to this next. Running this once every week or so will keep your computer running fast instead of getting bogged down.

4)When running bleachbit the “free disk space” option over writes your unused disk space. So if you have embarrassing christmas photos of you kissing santa running it fourteen times will make it so that no one can ever recover those christmas photos and post it to facebook. One or two times is alright though, but the more times you run it the harder it is to recover the files. Keep in mind that this takes a long time and the larger your hard drive is the longer it takes; a 500gb hard drive probably takes around a hour to do.

5)One of the most common computer problems is when your computer turns on, but it’s a black screen. This is a broken bios. This is extremely easy to fix most of the time. If you know your computer version most companies will have the program to fix this for free along with instructions on how to fix it. If you don’t know your computer version then welllll it’s going to be a pain in the butt to fix.

FOR PEOPLE INTERESTED IN LINUX/STEAMOS  
SIDE NOTE: IF YOU GET LINUX DEFINITELY GET STEAMOS (requires a 64bit computer though)  
I know more about linux so here’s the reason why I like it:  
1)More secure than windows. Windows is about as secure as using a shield in dark souls.  
2)Less resource intensive. If you have a extremely old computer and you don’t really do anything on it besides browse the web that’s the way to go.  
3)Free  
Drawback:  
It’s not user friendly. It’s easy once you get the hang of it, but there is definitely a learning curve at the beginning so if you go in thinking running programs from windows or macs without installing Wine(software) or such you’re going to get a slap to the face.

INSTALLATION:  
As for installation here’s a quick tutorial on how to install steamos:  
http://www.maximumpc.com/how_install_steamos_2013  
You can also use a program called “unetbootin” to use iso files you find off the net to install to a usb drive. This works as well if you want to make a backup repair usb for your computer.

If you want to dual boot, aka run windows and linux on the same computer, then what you do is that you first shrink your windows. A easy tutorial here.  
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309169.aspx

I suggest you dualboot for the love of god. If you want to dualboot then when installing  
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-dual-boot-steamos,review-2015.html  
Skip to step seven. For step 11 I would personally give it a large swap space. Swap space essentially acts as backup ram space on your computer hard drive, the larger the swap the less likely it is for programs to crash, but the more used the slower it is. If your computer is prone to crashing a large swap space is good.

INSTALLATION OF VIDEO DRIVER  
If you have a nvidia video card here’s how you install the driver:  
Press Ctrl Alt T and a thing called “terminal” will pop up, this is the equivalent of command prompt from windows, then type in “sudo apt-get install nvidia-current”, press enter, let it install.  
The way you upgrade to the latest version of the driver every time it updates is you press Ctrl Alt T and then type, “sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates” press enter, then type in, “sudo apt-get update” press enter, then type in, “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” press enter, let it update and done.

ADVICE  
Some important information if you do decide to use it:  
If you still want to use windows, but don’t feel like having to reboot every time you can use a program called “virtualbox”. Here is a quick tutorial on it.

The way you install linux programs, almost all of them are free by the way, is go into your start panel, preferences, ubuntu software center.  
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-VirtualBox

You’re going to need java a lot. You can install this through the ubuntu software center.

You may or may not need gparted. Gparted is a partition resizer/creator/deleter. Do not ever touch your windows partition though.

If your computer is crapping out use “unetbootin” and put “smart boot manager” onto a usb drive, this will fix most booting problems when starting a computer.  
Virtualbox let’s you run a operating system inside of a operating system, yo dawg. Keep in mind that doing so will be running two operating systems at once. Running windows xp is quick and painless, running windows 7 in it requires a really good computer.

Install “wine” and “winetricks” sometimes you can run windows programs in it, sometimes not. Winetricks you can download needed windows files to help things windows programs run. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you can figure out what you need easily; just run a program, it’ll tell you what it’s missing, go into winetricks, go to select the default wineprefix, install a windows dll or component and look for it. MOST of the time after fidgeting with it for a bit it’ll work. Sometimes programs don’t like linux and won’t work though or sometimes if you’re trying to play a japanese game the font text is broken.

If you don’t like how linux looks/feels you can install a thing called a “desktop environment”. These will change how your desktop and such looks and so forth. Some of them are if you want to make your computer faster; others are for if you want it to look nicer. Personally I would suggest lxde, it’s fast and visually looks good enough.

Also with vdpau and gnome player you can play hd videos in linux with no frame loss. You just install gnome player from the ubuntu software center; here’s how to install vdpau to play hd videos:  
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/136

I use both windows 7 and ubuntu 12.04 I use windows 7 for games and adobe creative; I use ubuntu 12.04 for everything else. Warning though; there is a definite learning curve for linux. The first week and half you’re going to have trouble figuring some stuff out.
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
Is TuneUp a good program for maintenance or there are other options?

It’s a ripoff.  
CCleaner does the same thing for free.
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
Oh I forgot something. If you’re a first time linux user and if you’re in “terminal” and you get a permission denied message saying you don’t have “root” permission, just type in “sudo -s” press enter, retype what you typed in right before you got the message and press enter then it won’t give you that message again. Having to do this every time sounds like a pain in the butt, but it’s a security reason why you have to do this.

IF YOUR WINDOWS COMPUTER HAS PROBLEMS WITH PROGRAMS CRASHING OR FREEZING:  
http://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Virtual-Memory

FOR ARTISTS  
Get PaintTool sai. Photoshop is a photomanipulation software not geared towards artists. Sai is specifically for artists and is way cheaper to buy. The blend tool is also way better. It takes some getting used too, but it’s way better for art.

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE/USB ADVICE  
Use ntfs on external drives/usb. The reason why is that other formats, I think it’s EXT (haven’t had this problem in a while so don’t remember), have a maximum file size of 4gb. That means if you try to copy a large file to a usb drive that exceeds that nuh-uh can’t do it.
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
I know this information is old, but here’s some of the specs for upcoming steam machines:  
http://kotaku.com/from-alienware-to-zotac-all-the-steam-machines-with-sp-1495960379

Before you say, “not affordable” the gtx 670 costs $230 alone.

The coolest one by far is the maingear:  
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/maingear-spark/  
full  
It’s so itty bitty, it’s a good gaming pc and it has a solid state drive. I may buy this one if it’s cheap. It’s actually more powerful than the xboxone and ps4. Actually all of the steam machines either match the xboxone and ps4 spec wise or are more powerful.
Background Pony #D476
I have a Windows7 64bits OS since last October.

How often should I give it maintenance both in hardware and software?

And what programs are the ones you would recommend for it?
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
@Background Pony #866D  
If you haven’t done software maintnance in a while jeez you need to do it now.

CCleaner + avg virus scan + bleachbit(run bleachbit without the “free disk space” on a regular basis to keep your computer from getting slow) + Uninstall programs you don’t use + http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/essential-tips-to-speed-up-windows-7/  
Should cover most of your bases.

As for hardware buy a speciality air can spray at computer stores; open up your hardware case and use it to blow away all the dust. Also clean your cpu fan. If you take off your cpu fan you’ll need contact paste/thermal paste to re-put it back on, don’t use too much thermal paste or too little as thermal paste is what helps keep your cpu cool. Dust tends to clog up here a lot causing your cpu to run hot and slow down performance. This is easy to fix, but be extremely careful when putting the fan back on so that you don’t accidentally break your cpu from accidentally applying too much force, but make sure it’s locked back in place.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
First, I’m an apple tech (ACSP(Apple Certified Support Professional)), thus if anyone needs any OS X related help, don’t hesitate to ask :)

Second, I have a Windows question: How do you manually stop an external drive for a safe dismount? For e.g. one of my external backup drives cant be dismounted without a shutdown, and windows is always under the assumption that it’s always being accessed.
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
@Ebalosus  
. . . Yeah, I’ve had that problem before myself. Sometimes windows is stupid when it comes to what format a external drive is. The only real advice I have is to delete everything on the hard drive including the partition, format it to different formats and see if any of them won’t give you this problem. I don’t really know why this sometimes happens or why it only happens to a particular hard drive or thumb drive, but if you’re unlucky it’s a pain in the butt to figure out why windows doesn’t want to behave itself.

The worst case I’ve had of this happening was for my portfolio, I had to save it on a thumb drive and it would delete my files from the thumb drive when I tried to eject it and I was hurrying against the clock checking every possible format on the thumb drive to see what would work.
someguy111
Wallet After Summer Sale -

How much RAM does Photoshop use? I know it varies for the size of what’s being worked on but let’s say something average size like 10MP. How much does it add per layer? How much does it need for effects and all that? Trying to get an idea of how much RAM is enough but given what I hear about what a hog it is and given the RAM needed for other things in less RAM-intensive programs I’m pretty sure I would need a ton.
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
@someguy111  
It varies on the amount of information per layer, but if you want to make a high resolution picture or such and have a bunch of layers it’s going to use a lot of resources; for smaller images and lower resolution images it’s fine, but those big high resolution images with lots of information on it will give your computer a nervous meltdown.

If you’re a artist get SAI instead.
someguy111

@uc9  
I have SAI and paint.net, neither of them have the effects I need for something, I would have to use PS. Plus SAI does not like super high res either.
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
@someguy111  
Well I guess it can’t be helped then, but yeah photoshop is not resource friendly. There’s no definitive amount of ram it uses per layer as that is dictated by the amount of information you use.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
@someguy111  
I’m running PS CS6 at 4000x4000 resolution, 10 layers, along with a bunch of other stuff opened. It works fine with my 8GB of RAM.

Depending on what you need, there are many alternatives that requires much less resources, such as SAI, which uc9 mentioned.

What effects do you need?
someguy111

@Grieffon  
I would be running about 50,000x50,000 or more with 3-4 layers. SAI does not go over 10,000x10,000 and paint.net does not support pressure sensitivity. I need better Gaussian blur effects.
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
@someguy111  
Are you using gaussian blur as it’s intended or are you using it to blend your color on a layer, cause sai does have a blend tool that is way better.
someguy111

@uc9  
Well even if it is better, SAI does not support the res I need. Paint.net is ok but PS is where I would go for fancy effects. Also, I am using blur in a separate layer, not blending on the same layer.
uc9

Corrupter of the pure
@someguy111  
Again, there is no definitive answer to that. The amount of RAM it uses depends on a number of factors. It’s like asking for a approximate distance between the earth and mars, it varies and there’s a maximum and minimum distance between the two, but there’s no definite 100% in place set 24/7/365 distance that the two must maintain at all times. The best guess would only be a fuzzy approximation at best.
someguy111

@uc9  
paint.net can tell you how much is needed by opening the “new” window and entering the size of the canvas. 50,000x50,000 would use 9.3 gigs for the base layer.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide