Computers general(help, advice, talk)

tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Flutter_Lover

Other neat trick you can do on a laptop is undervolting your CPU and propping your laptop up for better airflow. A cool(er) laptop is a longer lasting laptop.

When you undervolt you’re essentially asking the CPU to consume less power. Less power means less performance but for most use cases you wouldnt feel it, but the lower temperature is totally worth it.

By keeping your CPU cool it will prevent your CPU from hitting the throttling temp limit, which is the point where your CPU will nerf itself really hard to stop it from reaching unsafe temperatures.

I.e. Undervolting helps you get better temp for very minimal performance hit, and lets your laptop to run much longer before hitting the throttling limit, if at all.
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

It’s been about five years since I built my current computer. To build a new computer I had to do research. My thanks to Noctua for maintaining a database of compatible coolers, to Gamers Nexus for being a gold mine of information about hardware, and to pcpartpicker for helping put together a list and get better prices. Here’s my parts list:
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
I got my Noctua cooler today. The rest of the parts should come tomorrow and then I can start building.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Most boards have more than one slot for them these days, but usually only one is at PCI 4 speeds, with the other three at PCI 3 speeds.
For 99% of people, I recommend using one of the ‘slower’ PCI 3 slots for the OS drive, since in my experience unless your system is set to open a bazillion things upon login, the performance gains of putting the OS on a PCI 4 drive are marginal at best. Better to put software on there that absolutely needs the bandwidth.
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@Ebalosus
My motherboard has four M.2 slots - three with PCIe-4 and one with PCIe-3. Might as well use them. These drives are brilliant: small, super fast, a huge amount of storage, and no cables to mess with.
Today after a busy week I finally had time to work on my build. I installed everything on the motherboard and got it in the case… after struggling for an hour trying to get the integrated IO shield through the back before realizing the tabs don’t have to go through the hole. Would have been nice if that was written somewhere.
I hope to finish up tomorrow.
kleptomage

I’m mostly done. As usual, dealing with the cables has been the worst part. I’d prefer rubber grommets to the awkward cable covers in the Phanteks P500A, but the case does have nice velcro tie-downs, a decent amount of space behind the motherboard, and the shroud over the power supply helps hide the mess.
The stock fans on the case are too loud and the RGB cables can’t reach the motherboard, which is just as well because I’ve decided to try to keep the lighting more tasteful than a box full of bright fans. The LEDs on the ram, thin strip on the power supply shroud, and a top mounted LED strip should provide a nice subdued light once I tinker with it.
I have to install the remaining drives and move my data. I’ve ordered a Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax for the rear exhaust. If I like it, I’ll order three more to replace the stock fans.
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
So, earlier on I saved a text document, but right as that happened, my computer blue-screened, and now the text document is, well… corrupt. Corrupt in that I can still open it, but it’s just a bunch of emptiness, or so it seems. Apparently I can select the emptiness. Is there anything I can do to restore it to a previous version? I need third-party software to be recommended, as I don’t have File History enabled.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide