Cooking thread

Background Pony #6285
@yelling_into_the_void  
Is it a 9” pie pan? Are you buying canned pie filling in 20 ounce cans? That’s why.

The rule of thumb for a 9” fruit pie is that you will need at least two 20 ounce cans, or at least two pounds of fruit to fill it, once the fruit has been washed, peeled, cored, pitted, and so on. Sugar or your favorite sweetener (I have had good luck this year with a stevia based mixture in fruit pies) to taste, maybe 1/2 cup to 1 cup.

A fruit pie also needs starches to thicken the material and hold it all together so that the fruit stays in the slice of pie and the slices don’t disintegrate. This can be 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cornstarch, all purpose flour, white cornmeal, or a combination thereof, either sprinkled over the fruit once you arrange it in the pie shell. Or for soft fruit, like blueberries, set aside about three quarters of a cup after washing them and put them in a blender or food processor. Then blend into it the sugar and the starches until the fruit mixture is uniform. Pour the fruit mixture into a bowl and dump in the rest of the fruit. Stir to coat. Then put everything into the pie shell and assemble the top cover onto it. Bake for 1 to 1 and a half hours at 350 to 375 degrees, or until the filling is fully cooked and the top crust is golden brown.
Background Pony #6285
@yelling_into_the_void  
It’s weird, I know. I can’t prove it but I suspect they sell pre-made fruit pie filling in that packaging because it’s the perfect amount to put on top of a homemade cheesecake with no leftovers. My mother always made cheesecake that way.

Speaking of filling for fruit pies, always make cherry pie filling out of sour red cherries. Sweet cherries, especially dark or yellow cherries, are best eaten fresh. They lose a lot of flavor when cooked. Sour red cherries are perfect for cooking, though you might want to increase the sugar a bit from what you might normally use with other fruit.
Background Pony #6285
I just got curious and tried canned key lime pie filling in a graham cracker crust. Filling the 9” crust took two 21oz cans. It’s very sweet and very rich, but not as tart as I expected. The label said it’s made with real fruit, but I was hoping for a stronger fruit flavor.
Background Pony #ED38
Today I made a marinade and put some chicken in the refrigerator to marinate overnight for piri-piri chicken.

Half the marinade is reserved to be served as a sauce after it is cooked.

Piri piri sauce is traditionally made with African birdseye peppers, but those are not readily found in supermarkets here, so I substituted red Fresno chili peppers.

1 pound red chili peppers  
one medium bundle cilantro or to taste  
one to one and a half ounces fresh basil leaves  
one bulb garlic (normally approximately twelve cloves)  
one quarter cup extra virgin olive oil  
juice of one lemon  
one teaspoon smoked paprika  
one teaspoon MSG  
one teaspoon black pepper or to taste  
one teaspoon salt or to taste

The above ingredients are for the sauce.

This is the garnish.

fresh chopped parsley for garnish  
crushed cayenne pepper flakes for garnish

This is the chicken.  
4-5 pounds chicken pieces, traditionally legs are used but other parts are also quite usable

Cut the stems off the peppers and put them in the food processor. Process them slowly into a pulp, slowly adding the olive oil bit by bit. Peel and trim the garlic and add it too a bit at a time, processing smooth again. Add the other sauce ingredients to the mixture and process until all is smooth and uniform. Use all the cilantro including the stems. This will result in about a pint or a little bit more of fresh piri-piri sauce.

Divide the sauce in half. Coat the chicken parts thoroughly and evenly with half of it as a marinade, and put them in a covered glass bowl in the refrigerator. Put the other half of the sauce The amount of time to marinate is up to you and really depends on your tolerance for spicy food, as well as the type of peppers used. You can get a good mild flavor with relatively mild peppers in half an hour, or you can get very piquant flavors with stronger peppers, like fresh cayenne or red cherry peppers, overnight, if you like it hot.

Put the coated chicken in foil lined pans. Pour the marinade over it so that it cooks coated with it. Bake at 350 F. for about 1 1/2 hours or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven, arrange chicken on platter, and pour over the rest of the sauce. Garnish with parsley and red pepper flakes.

Serves several hungry people who like spicy chicken with hot chili pepper sauce.
Background Pony #ED38
@Background Pony #ED38  
Following up, I put the chicken in foil-lined pans, coated and covered with the marinade from the bottom of the pan. I baked them one hour and 40 minutes at 350 F, and they were at an interior temperature of 190 F. That might have dried them out, except they were coated with the pepper marinade, which kept everything nice and moist inside. I put them on a platter covered with the reserved sauce and sprinkled them with parsley.

They are spicier than I anticipated from tasting the sauce yesterday. I suppose a 24 hour soak in it really made the chicken pick up the flavors. They are hotter than any hot wings I’ve ever had in a restaurant. I’m the guy who goes to the new burrito place that puts up a sign that says “we dare you to try our ghost pepper salsa!” I try their ghost pepper salsa. I’ll f|| y a y ||ing do it again. I stirfry chicken with fresh cayenne peppers and broccoli.

And by the time I’d eaten two of these chicken thighs I was at my limit. The sauce is delicious. The chicken is crunchy on the outside, moist and tender on the inside, and has that chili and basil and cilantro flavor all the way through. But it’s HOT, hotter than I expected, in a way that sneaks up on you after you take the first few bites. I’m an experienced, acclimated pepper enthusiast. I ate them half an hour ago and it’s giving me a nice little endorphin buzz. It has cleared out my sinuses for the first time since pollen season started.

Anyone reading this who does not like hot peppers might want to modify the recipe. You could adjust the marinade time shorter, down to half an hour, and you could substitute less boisterous peppers. You could even swap in, I think, sweet red bell peppers, and maybe just put a little pinch of cayenne pepper in it to give it that tiny little bit of fire, that tiny little bite. The flavors in the sauce are wonderful, and I think they’d be really good even without the hot peppers. You owe it to yourself to try this.

This is a good recipe. I have heard there’s a restaurant chain that specializes in it, and I can see this being a very good flagship item for a menu. I’ll have to do this again.
Background Pony #ED38
@Background Pony #ED38  
Followup: yes, it makes a tasty marinade and tasty chicken with sweet red bell peppers substituted for the hot chili peppers, and I did add about a teaspoon of cayenne pepper flakes to the mix.
MethidMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

I cooked a whole duck in my rotisserie oven last night. First time cooking and eating duck and it came out wonderfully~ (I’ve been told it’s difficult to cook duck well)
Background Pony #B71F
Hey, I am also a vegan. I would like to share a healthy salad breakfast recipe that is full of the goodness of Ayurveda and enriched with therapeutic herbs and spices. I found that on iahas.com and it was very tasty.

Tangy Tex-Mex Salad

Prep Time: 20 Minutes  
Total Time: 30 Minutes  
Serves: 2 person (400ml)

Ingredients  
2 cups of your favorite variety of lettuce, chopped (Romaine works best as it adds to the crunch), 1 cup of Arugula, ¼ cup of Caramelized onion, ½ cup of sliced mango, Salt to taste (preferably Himalayan salt), 1 big avocado, ½ cup plain yogurt (preferably full fat), ½ t garlic powder, ½ t cumin powder, ½ t ginger powder, 1 t honey, 1 T chopped cilantro, juice of ½ lemon, 1 Jalapeno, Freshly ground black pepper

Method  
For salad dressing, Blend yogurt, avocado, lemon juice, honey, garlic powder, ginger powder, cumin powder, jalapeno, salt, and olive oil into a smooth paste. In a mixing bowl, add lettuce, arugula, caramelized onions, mango, and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste and drizzle the dressing on the salad. Mix together and serve.
Background Pony #A3D0
@yelling_into_the_void
reminds me of the biggest cooking fail ive ever seen.
and it was in a cooking class of all things.
half the class were guys that were there just to eat whatever food was made and for the field trip to a big restraut.
but man did we have a bozo in our group.it was one of the first days, and we had to hardboil eggs to make… I think it was supposed to have been an egg salad or something.
he screwed up hard-boiling the egg and burned it.. by not putting any water in the pot.
Background Pony #A3D0
@Background Pony #122C
those? those aree easy.
pull the cardboard so the tube is loose, get a good grip that not TOO tight… and whack it against the side of the counter at full arms length.
when it pops just like.. any of their other doughs, twist it the rest of the way open and peel out the dough.
Background Pony #D3CB
What’s the difference between using tinfoil and parchment paper in cooking?
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

An excellent grilled cheese sandwich:
Crusty sourdough, smoked gouda, bacon, sliced cherry tomatoes dabbed with a paper towel to remove their excess juice and seasoned with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide