General Anime Thread

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@DeathCloud

Look on the bright side, it took Slime like 4 episodes to ruin itself then spend every other episode getting worse, while Spider is 6 episodes in and still getting better.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
I think the main problem with live action adaptations of animes isn’t that they stray too far from the original. It’s that they try to replicate it so much. Live action adaptations are so focused on trying to match the original that they never make it their own. And as a result, the quality suffers and it just feels like a cheap copy of the anime version.

Take, for instance, the American version of The Office. In the beginning, critics hated it because it was trying too hard to copy the original. Once they started putting their own spin on it, the reception became warmer. And now, it’s universally praised.

Take, for instance, the hair color in live action adaptations. In anime, a lot of characters have these unique hair styles and hair colors. So, in the live action adaptations, they try to replicate that, which I feel is a mistake. Some hair styles and hair colors is so intrinsically anime that when you put it in a live action setting, it comes off as cringe and phony. I’m sure there’s a way to do it, but a lot of times when it’s done it just takes me out of the world they’re trying to build.

Overall, I think the biggest problem with live action adaptations of anime is it tries to replicate the original series too much. They should instead replicate it without going all the way. Essentially make the characters the same but don’t just do a carbon copy. Because otherwise, what’s the point?
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

I’m sure there’s a way to do it
Much easier if the series had realistic looking people to begin with. Otherwise you gonna get F’d.

Recent Netflix adapation Sweet Home didn’t even try to replicate the hairstyle and color of the webtoon counterpart and imo it’s for the best.

BLEACH Live action and FMA Live action tho? I wanna hit them in the face. It’s SO CRINGE omfgggg.

Even the MCU and pretty much every other current superhero movies had to think: “okay how do I make a blue, skintight jumpsuit with streaks of white not look too cringe.”
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Even the MCU and pretty much every other current superhero movies had to think: “okay how do I make a blue, skintight jumpsuit with streaks of white not look too cringe.”

The answer, it turned out, was to use their Ultimates designs.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Dustcan  
which is cool.

point is, you simply CANNOT go around doing THIS and have ppl not ask questions: “Okay uhm, yeah what?”

full

In screenshot its look ranges from “yeah ok I can see it” to “it’s cosplay.”

LOL they didn’t even bother doing anything with Winry, which made her ironically the most genuine looking of the bunch.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I was looking into the new He-man “anime” coming out,and the animation Studio is apparently in Texas. How is it anime if it’s not from Japan? It’s not based on a Japanese property either. The 2002 series took heavy inspiration from anime,is that an anime? What about New Adventures? That had several episodes Animated in Japan,and had a definite anime feel.  
From what I can find, Powerhouse,the studio,has no connection to Japan. Their past work isn’t even primarily anime inspired.  
I just thought this was weird.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Dex Stewart  
I’m kinda more willing to just write “anime” off to an artstyle or feel than actual “japanese made animation (animeshion)

Ie, if it looks like anime, it’s anime.

Like, for a while now, JL:Dark and Young Justice series have been “anime.”  
TEEN TITANS (not GO): Anime.  
Airbender? Anime.  
Thundercats 2011? Anime.  
RWBY? Anime.  
…  
OVERWATCH? ANIME.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@igotnopicks  
I mean, technically,but usually the word anime used in English refers specificly to an animation from Japan. There’s some gray areas,with animes based off foriegn properties,or Western/foriegn shows worked on by Japanese studios.  
full  
full
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Dex Stewart  
I never watched a single ep of South Park so maybe it’s actually anime after all.

“Hey Hey let’s go kenka wo suru! Taisetsu na mono Protect My Balls! Boku ga warui so let’s fighting! Let’s Fighting Love!”
Background Pony #F241
@Dex Stewart  
I kind of like TMNT Superman Legend despite despite arguably being more good than the 80s cartoon.

While the OAV was never released here I do remember them releasing the toys in the US.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide