Gun Discussion

FliegerFaustToP47
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Laß mich sterben
@MagpulPony

Yeah… I can’t stop thinking that’s a prop for Fast and Furious. But i get your point, I had some vague knowledge about guns that exceed 12,7mm and can only be used in specific areas by the noise generated. Like this one:

full  
*What are you going to kill using this?*

But i honestly thought that you technically could get one of those guns. But you needed an special license, paperwork, more paperwork and a lot of money to pay for said license so you could legally be a user of example: the Anzio 20/50. AKA totally not this:

“Hello sir, are you Holden Afartt?  
“Yes, I’m Holden Afartt, and this it’s my wife Butch A.F., we came here to buy a Vulcan”  
“Oh sure! Here it is, have a nice day!”
Background Pony #DFEF
@FliegerFaustToP47  
In most of the US, a .50 caliber rifle can be bought over the counter with no special paperwork. They are, however, extremely expensive, as is the ammunition. There aren’t many out there. Also almost all are single-shot or magazine-fed bolt-actions, and already extremely heavy and bulky.

I personally wish the dividing line were .58 caliber. Then we could have PTRD41 rifles in 14.5x114mm. Anything the .50 caliber does, the 14.5mm does about 25% better, though it is also true that surplus MG ammo in this caliber is generally not good for much better than 5-6 MOA regardless of what it’s being fired through–but there is no reason ammunition of better quality could not be manufactured.
Background Pony #DFEF
What are you going to kill using this?

Your budget.

…also, in that image, the .50 is the small one. The big one is a 20mm, using the same ammunition as the M61 20mm autocannon the US Air Force mounts in fighter aircraft, and those are not for sale to the public in the US. Though the manufacturer, Anzio Ironworks, has developed a proprietary cartridge for the same design, the .50 Anzio. It’s that same 20x102mm casing, but necked down to accept a .50 caliber bullet. Theoretically it is permissible for American civilians to purchase it. I don’t know how many they’ve sold. I believe they are regarded as “long-range target rifles.”

It’s very powerful, but not really comparable to the 20mm, and not as ballistically efficient. This is unavoidable. Energy is the capacity do work and in a firearm the expanding gases do work by exerting force on the base of the bullet, accelerating it down the barrel. The 20mm has two and a half times the bore area the .50 does. The .50 Anzio can get a 661 grain steel core armor piercing bullet up to a bit over 4000 feet per second, but that velocity requires a barrel that’s 72 inches from breechface to muzzle. It’s a bit more of a crew-served weapon than a rifle in the conventional sense. They make a “lightweight” version with a 50” barrel, but it gives up about 10% of the velocity the 72” barrel generates.

I’m not even sure what kind of optical sight is suitable for it. How much magnification is needed to take advantage of its flat trajectory and accuracy at range? 20x? More? Does it need a rangefinding reticle, like a mildot setup? Or would any sensible end user already bring his own laser rangefinder, and perhaps a thermal sight? Yes, you can buy thermal weapon sights in almost all of the US. They’re extremely expensive, but maybe not to the person who buys that kind of rifle.
Twi Clown
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

Übermensch in training
Yeah yeah, happy new year and all, but in a bit of a venting here, something I really hate are people who shoots their guns to the air to “celebrate” for some fucking reason.

It’s always the same, the radio says “don’t do it” and people just like to violate such common sense law everytime.

How do you deal with people like that?
Zerowinger
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@Twi Clown  
I think I heard a few pop off myself - it’s like the dumbasses completely forget that gravity is a thing.

On a more positive note - I got a hold of an East German parts kit build AK from an online retailer (and glad I did - they completely sold out within three days of going live), and a Vz.61 Skorpion is on the way. Just trying to get a few items I really want before Simple Joe and his handlers try to executive order a ban on their importation.
Background Pony #5252
@Background Pony #DFEF  
In Poland you can legally get guns up to 20 mm on a hunter’s or collector’s loicence. For sport the limit is 12 mm unfortunately, so no fifty cal.

@Twi Clown  
WTF? You mean with regular ammo and not blanks?
Background Pony #DFEF
@Background Pony #5252  
Not him, but how would you tell the difference, at a distance?

Here it’s bad enough that some gun stores ban ammo sales in the day or two before holidays.
Background Pony #5252
@Background Pony #DFEF  
What I meant is that since they regard it as a problem, I assume they mean regular ammo. But at the same time I find it hard to believe that someone would fire regular ammo in the air like that, not caring where the lead falls. And even harder to believe that it’s a big problem and not just an isolated incident.
Twi Clown
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

Übermensch in training
@Background Pony #5252

Sadly, yes, often regular ammo is used. And here it happens pretty often.

My parents always told me to stay inside the house whenever the midnight of christmas and new year came in because of that.

We do have tv ads each year saying “dont do it”. You kinda underestimate people’s stupidity.
Background Pony #DFEF
Does anyone else get feels when you hold an AK?

More seriously, I’ve got a Romanian AK that I was lucky enough to buy before everything went crazy. It’s an almost-stock WASR. The only changes are a flash suppressor instead of the slant brake and an ALG trigger, and a rattlecan camo paint job on the stock. I am considering an extra-power recoil spring to reduce the likelihood of peening the rear trunion.

I’ve taken it the range a few times, and I just cleaned it, but it didn’t come with the little cleaning kit that has the bolt disassembly punch. I tried with a brass punch, a hammer, and a vise, but I was NOT able to get the firing pin retaining pin to budge. It feels like it might be frozen in place, if not staked. I’ve been spraying brake cleaner through the bolt on the sides of the firing pin, and trying to clean the extractor in place with more brake cleaner and an old toothbrush, but it’d really give me some peace of mind if I could get it apart to check for wear and damage, and perform the most basic preventative maintenance–taking out the firing pin, checking it for damage, cleaning any foreign matter off it, giving it a very light coating of oil, taking out the extractor, cleaning the extractor slot and the side of the extractor that has the hook, and putting just a tiny bit of lithium grease on the extractor before putting it back on.

Also, I’ve been using food processing machinery grade nontoxic white lithium grease as a lube on a number of firearms, mainly because I found an old tube of it in the bottom of my toolbox. As far as I know it’s as good as anything out there, barring really extreme cold conditions.

I am annoyed at the lack of availability locally for 7.62x39. I’m told it’s not difficult to reload if you can get components, which is iffy here and now. Supposedly 7.62x39 tolerates even cast lead bullets, and the gas system is tolerant of reduced-power practice ammo loaded with 2400 or Accurate #9 and cast bullets in the 150-160 grain range.
lonewolf
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

U mad?
I regret not getting more ammo sooner. No place nearby to get any (and I’m not going to anyplace in Topeka), and I can’t find what I need online so far (9mm luger defense and 12ga. slugs).
Zerowinger
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@lonewolf

@MagpulPony

Ammo drying up has really accelerated in the last week. And prices have doubled on a lot of stuff.  
I’ve been focusing on the 7.62 and 5.45 soviet rounds since that’s probably the stuff most likely to be immediately EO’d from import by this administration and they don’t really have any domestic production.

.223/5.56 I haven’t gotten in a while but have held off on since unlike the Russian stuff, it’s made here. That and it’s currently going for $1 a round which is ridiculous.
Dex Stewart
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
fullfullfullfullfullfull  
I’ve been watching the Dirty Harry films. Alot of guns,but mostly Harry’s .44 Magnum.  
Just wondered if anyone here knew if he was right about it being “The most powerful handgun in the world”.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide