Mario Discussion

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
Ehhhh… I think they’re capable of having emotion, like in “Sing.” Which I thought was a pretty heartwarming movie at times.
In fact, honestly one of the biggest complaints I always hear that bugs me is, “Ew Illumination!” Or “Illumination is the Devil! Why couldn’t a more mainstream/popular studio make it?”
Which I don’t understand, as I actually enjoyed some of their movies.
And honestly, it’s not like recent Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, and such always make perfect movies either… (Don’t forget Disney was kinda behind the original live action 1993 SMB movie.)
“The Bad Guys” adaption was alright, but it was vastly different from the book series. So I doubt Dreamworks would respect the source material, or collaborate well with Nintendo. They would probably change too many things, make it too “hip,” or modernized/Americanized, or something. Same goes for Netflix. (Probably why Nintendo cancelled their Zelda and Starfox Netflix adaptions.)
Meanwhile Disney/Pixar would be unlikely to do an adaption, as they usually just create their own I.P. stuff, and rarely do other properties.
Meanwhile, WB and Viacom rarely even do theatrical animated movies now.
So honestly, Illumination is the only animated movie company left that would work.
Honestly, it doesn’t matter which studio makes it, as long as it has the right people, and will listen to Nintendo/Miyamoto. They made it very clear in the Directs that many Mario fans are working on it, and that they’re listening to Nintendo.
That’s what is important to me, not that a more “popular” studio is making it…
Posted Report
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@northern haste
Yeah, I’m sure Nintendo stuck with them for a reason, and the movie looks good/funny/pretty so far.
I remember nearly a decade ago originally Sony (ironically enough) was going to do it, but that fell through.
Posted Report
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Still, Sing is a very manipulative movie, using popular songs instead of original songs to fuel emotion.
If someone felt something about the movie, it’s not because of the movie, it’s because the emotions you feel are connected to that popular song.
Posted Report
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Ring Team
I disagree, as honestly I don’t love every song in the movie, and the most emotional parts didn’t even have song sequences.
And just because something is popular, doesn’t make it bad. A popular song can be as good as something original.
@Mr.Myoozik
Yeah, it was cliche’, but still enjoyable.
Also, it doesn’t even look like the Mario movie has any musical scenes so far. Still, the soundtrack should sell well for the nice BGM alone.
Posted Report
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@northern haste
Honestly, the Mario movie looks no different then an older Dreamworks or Pixar movie to me.
I think people just like to hate on Illumination, because they’re tired of the Minions. (Admittedly, I saw one of those recently with my neice. It wasn’t bad surprisingly.)
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

@Ring Team
And just because something is popular, doesn’t make it bad. A popular song can be as good as something original.
I don’t think something popular is bad just because it’s popular. I’m not one of those. I could be one of those, but I want to be sincere, not trying to trick people.
Frozen, Encanto and the Marvel movies are really popular and yet they have features that make them either unique, entertaining, creative and/or great, unless the film is Iron Man 2.
My problem with Illumination is that most of these films feel like a collection of gags instead of a story that could be told in a movie. And even if they focus on gags, the moments aren’t as impactful as in other works that have much better slapsticks, like Tom & Jerry I mentioned before. Most of these characters have a still line action (an invisible line to illustrate a pose) with no interesting poses to communicate an action or a mood. The Minions, for example, are not designed to have an extended movement. They have bulky bodies with too small arms and legs to toy, and it’s really hard to make a compelling animation with these limitations.
Not to mention, they tend to copy the templates of other stories or designs that worked in the past. For example, I’ve heard many times that Secret life of Pets was like a shittier Toy Story. But the appeal of Toy Story wasn’t the toys that come to life, it’s the relationship between Woody and Andy and how this co-relates to his experiences in the 3 movies (4 if we count Bonnie). In Secret Life of Pets, the payoff is that the animals talk. That’s it. It’s like someone understood only half of the appeal of Toy Story and said “let’s give them cute puppies”.
Probably the most shameless example to me was the design of the antagonist of Despicable Me, which was mostly based on Edna from The Incredibles. The glasses, the haircut, the structure of his head… He has some clear differences, but when the similar features are on his face, the character part we see the most, it’s very jarring.
But basically, the “TLDR” version of my point is this: More focus on being a compedium of gags, not enhancing the animation, irritating sense of humor, irritating characters, derivative premises, derivative designs and that’s it. If you want to know in a funny way why I don’t like Illumination films, check out this video.
Will this change for the Mario movie, since this looks like an actual movie? Maybe, but the scene we saw a couple of days ago was too loud in my opinion. Still, it’s the only film that might get good once it came out. I just don’t want that scene to be representative of the movie. I have high hopes, but very low expectations.
Posted Report
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Ring Team
I dunno “Sing” was a little less gag-centric, and arguably I think that is a problem with most western animation in general. Almost all Western animation has that flaw of shooting out gags, or comedic dialogue with little breathing roon, or being constantly self aware of itself.
Almost every animated American CGI movie made in the past 2 decades was a comedy, or at least, advertised with a focus on comedy.
Closest thing to a dramatic animated Amwrican movie was “Lightyear,” but even that had some meta humor, and such.
Regardless, many of them have had serious, dark, or emotional moments.
Still, I hope some day we can get something like “Secret of NIHM,” or “9,” but comedy sells best to kids now, so they have to focus on advertising the silly stuff more.
As for the Mario movie, I actually enjoyed that scene, and it’s not like the games are devoid of humorous moments.
Judging by that first teasee, with the rather dark scene of Bowser destroying a kingdom of cute and cuddly penguins, I think it’s safe to assume the Mario movie will have it’s serious and action orirnted moments, and not just be random gags.
Ring Team
Artist -

I’d disagree on western animation being too focused on gags, at least nowadays. Yeah, we have cases like My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, where at least 65% of all the episodes are just disconnected collections of gags. And the first Steven Universe episodes were not particularly great. However, it’s not always the case.
Over the garden wall is western and it’s not as focused on gags as someone would expect. And there’s the spanish film Birdboy, which is creepy, terrific, bloody, too real at times, etc. And some Pixar films of the last years, with the exception of Lightyear and the brief high school part of Onward, have scenes in service to the story, not the other way around. And then there’s Kipo.
I’m not as critical as I was with Illumination in the past (because it’s easy for me to find enhanced alternatives), but if the Mario movie ends up being minimally good, then that’s a good thing.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@northern haste
The character designs maybe, but overall it looks like something an independent studio would’ve made, not the big ones like DreamWorks, Pixar, Disney, Sony nor Illumination.
Posted Report
Dr_Osaka
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sata Andagi!
Wouldn’t it be kinda funny if Nintendo released a tie-in game based on the movie on the movie’s release?
And it could be an amalgamation of different Mario games all to represent different parts of the movie such as:
Side scrolling stages
Open world 3D stages
Mario Kart levels
Smash Bros. style battles
Captain Toad style levels
Luigi’s Mansion style levels (minus the Poltergust)
A level based off the original Donkey Kong arcade
And of course the different ay styles for characters like Peach and Donkey Kong.
Posted Report
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dr_Osaka
Could be cool, though some of the genre shifting might be confusing for some players.
@Ring Team
I was talking about American movies, but it does feel like alot are gag centric, even the more serious ones. I don’t mind comedy, (otherwise I wouldn’t be looking forward to Mario) and some of those examples you mentioned are old.
I admit, I loved “Over the Garden Wall.” It was both funny and serious, and balanced both well. You don’t see cartoons like it that often though.
And honestly, Dreamworks, and Pixar/Disney have made some arguably bad movies too, (Cars 2, Shrek 3/4) so I don’t think a Mario movie in their hands would automatically be any better or much different then what we see here from Illum’.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide