Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Sky funeral
@CaptainXtra
Maybe because the vikings were the earliest white people? I don’t know for sure though…

Vikings aren’t that early. “Viking” is a profession and developed pretty late all and all, it’s not at all primordial. But as I said: it’s more the romanticist imagery of the Viking they were claiming, not the fact.

If you want to plumb the absolute depths of this then consider: Hitler admitted to Mussolini that he believes he is not possessed by an Aryan spirit, but a pre-historic hyperborean demon. Or something. I will have to find the passage again, it’s an excerpt from a Mussolini biography. Very funny.
SparkleDash

Professional Shipper
Mr. Trump celebrated the 20th anniversary of the the day that he bragged about now having the tallest tower in Manhattan, by commentating on a boxing match featuring an elderly and decrepit Evander Holyfield.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Tech workers and industry leaders are rethinking the slow trickle of jobs into Texas after the recent double hit of voting and abortion bills.

Up until now, Texas was a rising star in the tech world, with little mini silicon valleys popping up around the state. Now, it looks like that may dry up.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@tehwatever

If you want the background as to why things shook out the way they did after 9/11, then I cannot recommend enough The Power of Nightmares by Adam Curtis, which looks into what drove both the islamists and the neoconservatives.

Be warned though, it’s 180 minutes long, so you may want to watch it piecemeal.

@Background Pony #F6BB

Found out today that two of his SC appointees helped Bush steal the 2000 election. Really makes you think, eh?…
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Ebalosus

I mean, Trump was very and repeatedly open about how he wanted the SCOTUS to just hand him the election.

That’s the weird thing during the Trump years. Things that should sound like tinfoil hat conspiracies about the POTUS were being said by the POTUS.
Background Pony #77FB
That’s the weird thing during the Trump years. Things that should sound like tinfoil hat conspiracies about the POTUS were being said by the POTUS.
It never ceases to depress me that in the four years he occupied the office, the only thing he ever exceeded my expectations on was how unbelievably terrible he was going to be.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Larry “Maybe the Slaves Deserved it” Elder is already playing up “voter fraud” ahead of his predicted loss to Newsom on the California recall election.

Republicans continue to show that if they cannot win, they will foment chaos to bend the system.

If you continue to support this party, you are not on the side of democracy.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@CaptainXtra

It wasn’t 9/11 that changed them.

You want to know what morphed the modern GOP you don’t have to look further than Newt Gingrich.

Back in the 80s and early 90s, Gingrich pioneered a new “path” for campaigning. Abandoning the loyal opposition mentality that the two parties once held in favor of “the other side is my enemy”. Since then, the GOP has made it’s platform all about absolutely hating and opposing anything the left does.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@Zincy

Can technically start earlier with the Southern Strategy making racism a core component of the GOP.

Every decade after added a new festering boil to the party, but the GOP’s shift from the Party of Lincoln to the Cult of Trump started at least with Nixon.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@Ebalosus

You can thank Fox News and the right wing media bubble for that.

Vox explains better than I can, but the gist is that some nutjob who’s never held office but owns a mic tells the GOP to treat politics like a game of sports, and then when that inevitably backfires and millions of Americans suffer for Hannity’s or Limbaugh’s “score” those same people then spend all day everyday running damage control.
Commune
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

🚙
The reason why I’ll never take the “Transgenders don’t belong in sports” controversy is because, well, most of the athletes complaining about them are probably on some form of PEDs  
It’s a badly kept secret in the sports world  
For example, most of Lance Armstrong’s opponents in the Tour de France were also on PEDs so really(look this up it’s true), was he really being unfair towards them?  
A younger me would be angry at them for taking PEDs but frankly, I don’t care anymore  
Just don’t be a fucking hypocrite
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Dustcan  
@Wiimeiser

No, Adam Curtis in The Power of Nightmares can explain it better (specifically part 2, if you don’t want to sit through the first hour of it), and it has to do with the fact that due to the failures of liberalism delivering in the 70s on politician’s dream of the future, they decided to use fear instead. For the GOP during that time, it was easy: blame the soviets. Instead of it imploding like it was, pretend that it was more powerful than ever, and that it was developing hyper-advanced technologies to beat the west (where do you think Reagan’s push for the SDI (aka “Star Wars”) and the 600-ship navy came from?). When it went away in the 90’s and there was nothing abroad to scare people into voting Republican, they instead turned to the neoconservatives, who then suggested they play the muh moral decay of people and society card to try and beat Clinton. That failed in 92, but helped them win in 2016 (Bush stole the election in 2000, and still had the residual good will (and the Dems laughably trying to out-patriot the GOP) from 9/11 in 2004).

Honestly, you all should check out The Power of Nightmares as it’s scary how applicable it is to the current situation for which we still find ourselves within, despite being made in 2004. If 180 minutes is too much for you, Chapo Trap House episode 65, which you can get for free on either YouTube, Apple podcasts, or Spotify, has an interview with Curtis where they go over a lot of the same points.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@Ebalosus

A few minutes in and the length doesn’t bother me. It’s how quiet the narration is.

Welp I ain’t watching this one as background noise. Gonna have to sit and watch it by itself.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Rep Cawthorn is proposing a bill to gut OSHA.

Guess he just wants more people in wheelchairs so he and Abbot don’t feel left out.
Background Pony #76E9
@Commune  
I oppose PEDs as well though, and I think most people in general are. I think a system needs to be in place ao that the trans people joining don’t have an unfair advantage. I know the Olympics have a system in place, and it may change, but maybe they do have it right.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide