The downfall of TGWTG or Channel Awesome

Virgil Stormblade
Thread Starter - The downfall of TGWTG or Channel Awesome

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
I was once a big TGWTG fan, I loved the Nostalgia Critic, Phelous, Todd in the Shadows, hell, even JesuOtaku (yes, I know who she is and what she’s done but that’s not the point). And then Demo Reel happened, I didn’t watch it at first and then I did watch it and it just wasn’t funny. Then, they brought new reviewers that most people never even heard of.

And then Gamergate happened. A lot of them revealed themselves to be SJWs unfortunately and they’ve done both stupid and hateful things. Todd revealed himself to be a scumbag who’d use his dead friend to defend a political movement that was retarded, Nostalgia Chick supports Anita Sarkeesian and defends this actions despite being his girlfriend. Why? I don’t fucking know why she’d do those things when she’s more intelligent than that. Oancitizen said Depression Quest teaches empathy, which is stupid, and so on and so forth. And two of the new guys are anti-GG. Dan Olson made a stupid video about GG and Beth Elderkin(yes, that’s her real name) made an article explaining how only HE could explain GG which is bullshit.

This thread is to discuss when and why the site went wrong and give advice on how to improve the site. And who knows, maybe the site will get better.
Background Pony #5FA9
So much as they are all known and revealed scumbag that eat their own, (look up phelous and lupa leaving, for one) the idea of an aggregate site just isn’t that appealing anymore. Everyone just goes to youtube or cultivates their own fan following. Nowadays TGWTG is just around to provide doug some hits and filler content until he can make new NC or force out some blogs. If you look at the views/comments of any given producer they are usually quite low.

People now gather their own followers and do their own thing. The TGWTG concept has waned and is on its last legs.

So far as them being SJW; yeah, no shit. That was pretty obvious from the get go. Untalented people talking about other people’s creations and putting social spins on them. It is practically potting soil for their ilk.
Shaky
Bronze Bit -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I’m kinda surprised that TGWTG is still going. I had a look on their site and could have sworn they used to use their own player for videos, rather than Youtube.

Let’s face it. The main reason why TGWTG had any pull as a site was Doug Whateverhislastnameis and NC. He and The Angry Video Game Nerd are part of the old guard of sketch internet videos. They were both absolutely fantastic for the time when making money from internet videos was difficult.

Their channels and sites just sort of became obsolete when Youtube made it so much easier for creators to earn money from their work. Why go to a site dedicated to one series of video when there’s another that has all the videos, alerts you when a new video is up and has a much easier and better userface?
Virgil Stormblade

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
@Shaky  
Actually, they never used their own players. AFAIK, they first used Revver players and then used Blip players, but considering Blip’s about to close down, they’re probably gonna use Screenwave players.

BTW, DON”T EVER USE SCREENWAVE FOR VIDEOS!!! I’ve tried but it’s so bad, it sometimes skips ahead without you clicking on anything. Seriously, what kind of video player does that?
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
So much as they are all known and revealed scumbag that eat their own, (look up phelous and lupa leaving, for one) the idea of an aggregate site just isn’t that appealing anymore. Everyone just goes to youtube or cultivates their own fan following. Nowadays TGWTG is just around to provide doug some hits and filler content until he can make new NC or force out some blogs. If you look at the views/comments of any given producer they are usually quite low.
People now gather their own followers and do their own thing. The TGWTG concept has waned and is on its last legs.
So far as them being SJW; yeah, no shit. That was pretty obvious from the get go. Untalented people talking about other people’s creations and putting social spins on them. It is practically potting soil for their ilk.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I can remember a time when Youtube was the stepping stone to sites like TGWTG, ScrewAttack (anyone remember them?), GameFailures, etc. Nowadays, Youtube (plus things like Patreon, Blip, Dailymotion, Vimeo, whatever) have become a satisfying endgame once someone builds up a following, thus negating the need for an aggregate site with one or two huge-name talents to bring the viewers in.

As for me, I discovered TGWTG around April of 2009, having been a fan of SF Debris/Confused Matthew beforehand, thus prefer more analytical reviews to riffing reviews.
Virgil Stormblade

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
@Ebalosus  
Did you like the Nostalgia Chick at one time? ’Cos I really feel sorry for anyone who liked her. Also, she works for The Mary Sue now. Was that ever a credible site? And is she stupid to write for that site?
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Virgil Stormblade

Honestly, no. I can reminisce about NC episodes that I like (Such as his Moonwalker review), but nothing really comes to mind with the Chick. I wasn’t aware that she now wrote for The Mary Sue.
Virgil Stormblade

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
@Ebalosus  
Seriously though, has The Mary Sue ever been a credible site? She also once wrote a shitty article called “Don’t read the comments”, of course her white knight boyfriend, Todd, defended her article when I, if I was her boyfriend, would’ve said “Lindsay, your article was full of shit and I really don’t think you can trust Anita, I mean I never noticed any improvement at all after that Kickstarter thing”.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Virgil Stormblade

I can’t answer the question regarding TMS, as I’ve never really been there to read anything. Also, she had a Kickstarter? I stopped following her on Twitter about a year ago.
Virgil Stormblade

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
@Ebalosus  
Oh, you poor thing. How painful was it that you supported Sarkeesian one time? I was rather neutral one time and honestly, the information I had was rather contradictory, Sarkeesian was an idiot or she’s actually a genius, but thankfully, the former side was right.

She had a Kickstarter to “improve” her series. Which was fuck all. Just see a video of her from 2009 and compare it to a current video. Just spot the difference.
BleedingHeart

I take little comfort that at least Team4Star is at least quietly anti-fem freq or Anti-SJW

Im assuming by some of their tweets & how some who are casual bronies aware of the SJs bullshet. Also saw that Hellsing episode how they rekt a SJ-like character.

Still puts a bad taste in my mouth that even Linkara, AJ, RapCritic, and Nash, my personal faves turned fucking white knight where a smarter more reasoned person like TotalBiscuit would have jumped in and got people to calm down and be rational. Psuedo-intellect worthless bastards.

On that note i know theyre blatantly lying about their reasoning for being anti-GG. RapCritic has open derision for Tumblr-Feminism, Nash for instance wrote an entire “commandments” like list for reigning in the VG journos which BTW happened way before ZQ was harrassed… I mean busted ‘threatening to kill herself’ on WizardChan which was also week/s before AS was threatened. Doubt its still there were he posts his writings. I remember it because it was the article right after his ‘No True Scotsman’ about his athiest views.

And AJ who is on 1st names w/ Linkara who follows FmFrq and could have just as easily gotten a conversation between any and everyone at ChannelAwesome going with TotalBiscuit, but didnt. Cancer sure as hell didnt slow him down so whats the excuse for letting the smear mongering continue??

Edit  
I was also in FemFrq side with her project at first. But i prefer an honest discussion on videogames over AS & fullmic’s shit posts
Virgil Stormblade

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
@BleedingHeart  
I thought Linkara doesn’t talk about GG. What makes you say that?

Oh God, that time Rap Critic compared GG to the KKK, despite being black himself, that was really uncomfortable. And what did Nash say about GG? I never heard anything about him and GG.
BleedingHeart

@Virgil Stormblade  
Lewis tweets and posts often to FemFrq’s twitter. He also references it during his reivew of AVGN’s movie which happened around the same time he just seen it. Other than that stopped following his tweets months ago.

Nash & Tara took a couple of snide jabs. During their WTFIWWY show. And he wrote an Anti-GG tangent on his personal site as well.

I thought better of Nash. I would have thought he would have gone for Todd’s throat for dropping JewWario’s name like that or taking snipes at ProGGrs who memorialised them on their twitter icon.

For all Todd’s & Lindsey Ellis’s “friend trading card” of Justin, thankfully LordKat fucking called them out on it citing an event during a con where JW was feeling emotionally drained to which LE brushed him off to go get stoned & shit faced. Even though hes Neutral to GG.

I should mention ‘Used’ to be a big fan of CA’s producers
Virgil Stormblade

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
@BleedingHeart  
So what did he say about GG or anti-GG? Did he grossly misunderstand GG?

“I thought better of Nash. I would have thought he would have gone for Todd’s throat for dropping JewWario’s name like that or taking snipes at ProGGrs who memorialised them on their twitter icon.”

Actually, yeah, why didn’t Nash say anything regarding Todd’s…. thing?
Virgil Stormblade

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
@igotnopicks  
Why is Twitter so popular anyway? I understand Tumblr, but Twitter? No. I mean it has a 140 character limit to this day, when YouTube in its earlier days, as far as I can tell, could have a comment with several paragraphs.
BleedingHeart

@Virgil Stormblade  
Forgot if it was a Wordpress or a tumblr site where he writes his blog.

In case anyone needs context on Nash & Todd & JewWario, I shall summarize briefly:

Hope Chapman [JesuOtaku] & Nash ended their relationship  
Nash hit with depression ends up staying at Justin Carmicheal’s [JewWario] along with his wife  
Nash eventually recovers emotionally

End of January 2014 Justin commits suicide which was a horrible loss  
In memory of JW, fans put a Wario hat icon on their Twitter

October 2014 GG “officially” happens  
Todd jumps in and tells fans if their going to be ProGG to take off JW icons  
Todd claims he “knew” JW and said “he would have been AntiGG”  
  • Even though Guru Larry, Lord Kat, Doug, and MANY other VG reviewers similiar to JW were publically critical of FemFrq’s methods and easily refutable view points  
    ** By coincidence the final review JW did was on the Japanese PStv while playing Senran-Kagura… a cheese cake heavy fighting game… where if SJWs knew about it, they would have publically shamed him for making a video about it.

So really dont know why. But if it were my lost friend i would have shaken the fuck out of him or burned that bridge.
Virgil Stormblade

AT-STS! AT-STS! AT-STS!
@BleedingHeart  
Could you post what he said about anti-GG and pro-GG here? Also, wow, JesuOtaku is a cunt, it’s hard to believe no one here has bitched on her yet considering her reputation with bronies.

But back to Nash, how he hasn’t said anything to Todd is a mystery, even with added context. And this is a guy who constantly comments on stupidity, unless he’s a huge hypocrite. And if so, he’s a coward and an idiot.
BleedingHeart

@Virgil Stormblade  
You’d have to dig through his twitter posts or his own RadioDeadAir for the blogs. I know for sure it was after “No True Scotsman”. And i cant confirm if he deleted them in the last 9 months.

Went to Nashscribblings and theres no hub for his writings. But i know he linked from his twitter.

Funny story about JO & Bronies and this is a hilarious in hindsight moment:  
Im am currently following LianaK’s tweets [shes a ProSex Fem so she only goes fanged beast if you give her a reason], and a few weeks ago right after an Episode that semi-romanticized Anonymous on ELEMENTARY, she was in a brief discussion with the show’s writers who mentions: “Oh the Picture of RainbowDash in the show… Yeah, we know about the crossover between Bronies and Anonymous”… ANON who btw are anti-sjw & anti-FemFrq

So 2 + 2 = JO’s videos mysteriously get deleted off of Blip.TV

Conspiracy theory, but if i havent seen anyone else’s videos erased off Blip. So… Maybe
ParagonCommander
Thread Starter -  Super Smash Bros General Thread

Absent Tactician
After the musical review, NC started getting shit at a slow pace. Post-revival, it got bad. Really bad.  
I generally don’t give his new stuff any attention.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide