The Virus Outbreak Thread

some-guy
Dree Deray - For supporting the site
Twilight! - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter

@Meanlucario
I’m well aware it reached the USA prior to the vaccine. It sure didn’t prevent most people I know from getting it.
@Zincy
No one did say that but the goal post was 99% for everyone who got the vaccine. That is not the case now.
Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@some-guy
It still is the goal, it’s just that mutations tend to be a problem, especially when the unvaccinated turn into an incubator for the virus that speeds up mutations.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
95% to 98% with healthy adults for the orginal strain and the first major variant, high 80s for those with underlying health conditions, lower for the immunocompromised and the extremely old.
Successive variation driven by mutations reduced the effectiveness of the vaccine by varying percentages, and was expected and advertised as such.
This is how viruses work, and how vaccines work. Boosters are common even for viruses that do not mutate often such as tetanus and diphtheria.
Your ignorance of the topic and of the science is not grounds for debate, it is merely that, ignorance.
The vaccinated also have a significantly reduced likelyhood of hospitalization, death, and long covid even with the newer strains. A vaxed individual is still so much better positioned to deal with the virus than an unvaxed moron.
Background Pony #4355
@Meanlucario
The vaccinated people can carry and be a “incubator” too cuz they still can get covid. So basically both can be blamed for spreading a flu which everyone will go through anyway just like in the whole history of humankind.
In fact every year there is a flu during winter season. Covid just got inflated by the media and governments and big pharmacy companies to get more money out of people who got scared of a flu. And this is how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Vaccinated people are likely to be asymptomatic carriers for far less time than non-vaxxed. Because their body are likely to straight up eat the virus instead of letting it propagate inside them.
So even in cases of Typhoid Mary vaccination is still better than not.
Flutter_Lover
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

#WaifuLivesMatter
Great news! The graph in the UK shows that the omicron surge is currently at its peak! It’s starting to climb down significantly!
Background Pony #4355
@Dustcan
And what about natural immunity? It is known that natural immunity is as good as getting a vaccine. If you are healthy of course.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Well, no you’re incorrect on that.
Vaccine based immunity has proven to be more robust and slightly longer lasting, for several reasons. Biggest amoung them is specificity and resource conservation.
I can’t explain the full details because I’m not a virologist, but the way the vaccine introduces the virual RNA is more efficient for the body to build defenses against. You also don’t waste resources and risk the catastrophic damage the virus can do on your system when using the vaccine.
At the end of the day, no matter which way you slice it, the vaccine is the superior option.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
800,000 dead in 2 years is a pretty good indicator that natural immunity is not a good idea. For the record, the highest “The Flu!!1!” killed was about 80,000 a year.
As for if you are one of the lucky ones to not die, it’s been long known that even recovering from Covid has some side effects, ranging from permanent lung scaring to neurological damage. My parents who recovered half a year ago still have some minor trouble breathing, so yeah their lungs aren’t back to normal.
As for the health of the individual, my brother has been in the ER for 2 straight weeks yesterday. He’s in his 30s, and my near 70yo parents spent only about a week in it.
As for any Herd Immunity argument, the Bubonic Plague achieved HI after killing 1/3 of Europe. Likewise the longer Covid is allowed to proliferate the more mutations it will develop, and therefore the less effective the initial vaccines become.
There’s no 2 ways about it, prevention is the best defense and vaccination is the best prevention.
Flutter_Lover
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

#WaifuLivesMatter
@Zincy
What about gaining immunity from Vitamin C and D? That won’t be enough? Not to bash on relying on vaccines alone, but the omicron variant do grant us immunity after infection.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
You cannot gain immunity from vitamins and I haven’t the foggiest idea where you got that from.
C D and to a lesser extent K are essential for the healthy functioning of the immune system (along with a host of proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates). But they play no part in immunity per se. Gasoline is essential for a combustion engine to run, but if you remove the carburetor pouring that gas in won’t rebuild it.
Immunity is gained from latent and active immune responses, both of which require some level of contact with the virus or a virus analog such as a vaccine.
All infections grant some level of immunity, but just as with the vaccine it wanes over time. Natural immunity wanes quicker and is less robust than immunity gained via vaccination. Now, someone who is vaxed, boosted, and then catches a mild case of omicron would have the highest immunity of all, but the goal is to try and avoid infection because even mild cases can lead to internal damage.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
On another note, just scarfing down vitamins won’t do jack shit and all you’ll end up with is expensive piss.
D and K are insoluble in water, so just taking them as is won’t do anything. They have to be taken with a meal, and one that contains some fats, acids, and/or carbs.
C is the opposite. It’s water soluable and heat sensitive, so best taken with water, on an empty stomach, cold.
Multivitamins for the most part are poorly formulated, as it’s almost impossible to balance proper absorption and solubility of multiple vitas in pill form.
Your number one best way to get those vitamins is just to eat healthy. So loading down on pills really won’t do much for your immunity without a proper diet and exercise to back it up.
Like being a fat fuck and thinking drinking diet coke will make you thin. Being a fat, unhealthy fuck and thinking vitamins will shield you from the plague will just get you sick and make you look stupid.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
While it won’t shield you from the virus, it’s a 100% good idea to have a various, colorful, and nutrient filled diet and will definitely make your prognosis far better if you do catch it.
If you couple diet, exercise, vaccination, and preventive measures such as distancing and mask usage, you can pretty much return to a normal life with little difficulty. And will fair far better in these dying days of the pandemic. This is the last hurdle, folks need to stop stumbling over it.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
Yes. At the end of the day it’s your own immune system that fights diseases. A strong immune system means when you get sick you recover quicker/experience milder symptoms, if not eliminate the disease before getting sick if exposure was small enough.
Fruits, veggies, white and lean meat are all great for boosting a strong general defense in your immune system. But, as should always be mentioned, vaccines teach your immune system how to fight specific diseases far better.
At the end of the day you really want both for the best odds.
Background Pony #4ED4
Okay, so I basically understand that, as Zincy and Dustcan have already said, that healthy eating, exercise, vaccination/boosting, and preventive measures are vital for reducing the odds of a destructive Covid infection.
I have a dumb question to ask. Can mental health also affect the performance of a person’s immune system? I’m kind of a health freak and I’m genuinely curious about this topic.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Stress and other high arousal states can lead to physical exhaustion and weaken the immune system. Stress and depression are also linked to increased likelyhood of being sedentary, overweight, and suffering from malnutrition.
Other mental illnesses can have direct effects on immune responses, and of course certain medications can have an impact too.
I’m not going to go all “just be happy forehead” here, since I suffer from depression and a few other issues, but it is true that keeping a positive outlook and reducing stress improves your health. Where states of stress, depression, and isolation weaken it.
Flutter_Lover

#WaifuLivesMatter
@Zincy
Where I am now, stuck in a stressful environment seems normal, it’s almost no wonder I haven’t offed myself. Days go by, and I’n still wondering how the fuck am I still stuck in this fucking apartment, with my parents, getting into pointless bickering, while I’m just making plans to control my stress, my anxieties, my future. Maybe it’s because I suck at financial math. I feel like it’s my fault I didn’t make a move years ago, then I wouldn’t be in this pathetic life that I will soon put it behind me when I get into voice acting, and possible a job in web design. I am sick to death of waking up in the goddamn morning, wondering where I want to go to get away from my parents, and this shitty town. Spent all these years trying to find a new circle, and whenever I visit that new circle, it fades away as soon as I leave.
Background Pony #4ED4
@Meanlucario
I see, it’s a topic that I don’t understand much about. I guess it’s just one more thing to learn about.
@Zincy
Yikes! Being honest here, I had no idea that stress, high arousal states, and mental illnesses can lead to all of these problems.
As someone who also has depression, I have to wonder why it wasn’t removed in the hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution. If depression is so harmful to us, why would it stay in our condition?
Anyways, thank you for your time.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Negative traits only become deleterious if they interfere with reproduction. Anything that happens to you post baby making is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. And depression, weirdly, has some, well I wouldn’t call them positive traits but “evolutionarily advantageous” aspects.
Background Pony #4ED4
@Zincy
Hmm, very interesting. Um, What would be an example of one of these “evolutionarily advantageous” aspects of depression? I don’t consider myself a smart person but you got me curious.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide