Viewing last 25 versions of post by Penguin Dragneel in topic Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
[@Seiken](/forums/generals/topics/video-game-general-thead?post_id=5342343#post_5342343)
Localization exists because not everything works in a straight one-to-one translation, ESPECIALLY when it comes to dubbing.

Whether you like or not, certain lines that work fine in Japanese will sound completely awful if it's directly translated to English (see most 80s/90s video game translations).

That's where localizers comes in. They rearrange and recontextualize the sentence to keep the original meaning of the line in tact, while also making sure that it sounds natural when spoken out loud (either by the voice actor or the person watching/reading it). Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT the practice of completely changing everythings about the property to target a different audience (the correct term for that is a "Macekre," but I personally call it "pulling a 4Kids").
No reason given
Edited by Penguin Dragneel
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
[@Seiken](/forums/generals/topics/video-game-general-thead?post_id=5342343#post_5342343)
Localization exists because not everything works in a straight one-to-one translation, ESPECIALLY when it comes to dubbing.

Whether you like or not, certain lines that work fine in Japanese will sound completely awful if it's directly translated to English (see most 80s/90s video game translations).

That's where localizers comes in. They rearrange and recontextualize the sentence to keep the original meaning of the line in tact, while also making sure that it sounds natural when spoken out loud (either by the voice actor or the person watching/reading it). Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT the practice of completely changing everything about the property to target a different audience (the correct term for that is a "Macekre," but I personally call it "pulling a 4Kids").
No reason given
Edited by Penguin Dragneel