Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Guys help. FTL too good. Is there ANY game like it out there? I think it’s borderline perfect.  
I keep coming back to FTL just because it’s probably the closest thing to addiction made into a video game.  
It’s like that dumb pachinko slot machines, disguised as a spaceship crew simulator.

FTL makes me wonder why 8 years later it STILL hasn’t had a proper clone or anything that tops it.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@DerpyFast  
No no no. That’s a proper space trucking sim. Also one that my rig can’t play.

I’m talking about space games like FTL where it has that “One More Try” thing everytime you fail, and also one that manages an entire crew.

Where your crew suffocated to death because you forgot to direct power to your oxygen generator system, because you really needed your shields at full capacity.

Where one crewmate blew up with the enemy ship because you forgot to beam him back in before turning enemy ship into space dust.

Where asteroids punch holes in your ship because the pilot is too busy fighting the enemy’s boarding party.

And crewmate burning to death trying to put out fires caused by enemy lasers.

All that nonsense, presented with simple intuitive UI that doesnt bombard you with stats or nor wall of text.

Yet you just want to have a go at it One. More. Time. Maybe this time you’ll get lucky. Maybe this time you’ll beat the Enemy Flagship.

And when you did beat the Flagship. You want to do it AGAIN, with different starting ship and different crew and weapons composition, risking horrible failures and wasted hours.

IT GOOD. FTL HOW??
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
Just got “Among Us,” I’m starting to see why it’s so popular.

It’s simple, cheap, (or free with ads) cute, dark, and a nice multiplayer experience.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@tehwatever  
@DerpyFast

I own both games, have played them both and no, Elite Dangerous is not really comparable to FTL in my opinion. FTL is really top-notch, by the way. I really liked playing it back then.

Well, the only two games I have encountered that were similar to FTL are Shortest Trip to Earth and Out There Ω Edition. But I would be careful with a recommendation, because I think they lack the same charm as FTL. And the legendary good soundtrack of this game. ;-)
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@DarkObsidian  
Dat just it.  
Shortest Trip is FTL with a whole lot more micromanagement and shinier graphic but it gets really hectic really fast, and adds more frustration than fun it looks like. It’s an unfortunate case of “more is not better.”

Out There Omega seems cool. I’m not fond of the admittedly great comic-book-y artstyle and text fonts however.

FTL isn’t hard to imitate, so why havent we seen more FTL clones?

I’m thinking of Crying Suns. Never tried it but ppl do be saying it closest to FTL.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@tehwatever

Well, why there are no clones, I can’t tell you. Maybe because a game company has to fear that such a product will be considered as simple plagiarism and then possibly be criticized negatively. But this is pure conjecture.

I have been waiting for an English version of Daiteikoku by AliceSoft for almost 10 years. But because of the controversial content (WW2 in Space with H-content and the Japanese as the good guys) it will probably never be released outside of Japan. And since I’m too old to learn Japanese, I’m hoping either for a progress of the technology (better translator) or that the fan patch will get beyond the early beta phase.

What I mean to say is that sometimes, unfortunately, you just don’t get the things you want from the heart. The only thing that helps is to wait, drink tea, and/or turn to other games. ;-)
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@DarkObsidian  
Hm. I’m not sure if the fear of being claimed with plagiarism is the case.  
Subset Games is a 2-man dev team. They dont have that kinda muscle. Besides, Shortest Trip is practically stealing FTL aesthetic and it’s still up on Steam.

Normally if a game is really effing good or popular it would spawn a ton of clones.

FNAF has clones. Maze Runner has clones, Dark Souls have clones, and even Darkest Dungeon have them.

Those games basically spawned entire genres.

FTL being as good and as lightweight as it is, still stands alone in its own genre? Despite constantly making into people’s “Top 15 of the year / decade “ list?

Wow.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide