Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

phoenixacezero
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

@tehwatever
So basically appeal based market team research result from exploring places like twitter and skimming through what appeal to an consumers and due taking a small sample size and lack of context often result in something like the trailer.
Posted Report
Seiken
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Meanlucario
k, i will not try to convince you otherwise, just sharing the news. What you guys make of it is up to you.
Just saw video of an Elden Ring Demake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlams-k78c
There was a similar one of Bloodborne that covers small part of the game.
EDIT:
@Penguin Dragneel
Yes, though i don’t agree that they are doing that, but if that’s what they doing at Nintendo of America with localization then we need more translation and less localization. More rice balls and less donuts.
Meanlucario
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@Seiken
And yet 4Kids actually got kids into anime with their localization. And I’m pretty sure than other countries localizes things because every culture is different and has different views and terms that makes a straight-up translation hot garbage on either side.
Posted Report
Seiken
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Meanlucario
Got them into anime, sure… doesn’t mean they did a good job at localization. Good enough translation with barely acceptable voice acting. Anime is what brought kids into anime, because the source material is entertaining enough that even a bodged job was acceptable quality.
Posted Report
Meanlucario
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Seiken
Go watch Mother’s Basement on 4Kids. They did a better job than you give them credit. And if it was just the stories that mattered, than there would be no difference between east or west in terms of animation.
Posted Report
Seiken
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Meanlucario
Source Material includes everything, not just story. They switched a couple things and made it worse but still passable for a new audience.
And its bot like i don’t get the nostalgia growing up with anime brought by a company, but if i watch “localized” shows from my youth, the vast majority i can see them as they are: terrible. Even through my thicc nostalgia googles.
Posted Report
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Seiken
Again, go watch Mother’s Basement’s video on in. Or don’t and stop complaining about “meh localization” due to a sketchy news site that sounds like they care more about “owning the woke” than actually doing their job of covering news properly.
Posted Report
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Seiken
Localization exists because not everything works in a straight one-to-one translation, ESPECIALLY when it comes to dubbing.
Whether you like or not, certain lines that work fine in Japanese will sound completely awful if it’s directly translated to English (see most 80s/90s video game translations).
That’s where localizers comes in. They rearrange and recontextualize the sentence to keep the original meaning of the line in tact, while also making sure that it sounds natural when spoken out loud (either by the voice actor or the person watching/reading it). Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT the practice of completely changing things about the property to target a different audience (the correct term for that is a “Macekre,” but I personally call it “pulling a 4Kids”).
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Penguin Dragneel
I remember hearing from the commentary of the Pokemon movies (I was that weird kid who loved listening to commentaries from the creatures and actors of movies I enjoy) that the lip-flap was part of what prevented them doing a one-to-one translation. They had to write entire lines to have it match the lip flaps.
Posted Report
Seiken
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

That’s where localizers comes in. They rearrange and recontextualize the sentence to keep the original meaning of the line in tact, while also making sure that it sounds natural when spoken out loud (either by the voice actor or the person watching/reading it).
And if you look at the images you will see that they (purposefully) failed at these parts, changing the original meaning.
Posted Report
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Seiken
You mean images that could easily be manipulated? Just turn off subtitles, find the font the game uses, and go to town. It’s not that hard to fool people who are quick to outrage.
Posted Report
Seiken
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Meanlucario
And you could be a chat bot of sorts. You can reach if you want, but thats not the kind of argument i entertain. “Everything i don’t like is a lie”. Not engaging the actual argument by just claiming it could be a fabrication.
Posted Report
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Seiken
I mean, you have done nothing to prove your source is correct and I’ve been here for a very long time, making it unlikely I’m a bot. Either provide sources from creditable outlets or stop arguing about something you are heavily relying on one sketchy source to justify your outrage.
Posted Report
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@phoenixacezero
Yup. Seriously wished SquareEnix didn’t market the damn game.
Then again how could they not? Forspoken is Luminous Production’s 2nd big budget game after FFXV, after all.

Forspoken is a japanese game at heart. It’s got japanese fantasy anime tropes, and plays like a japanese spectacle fighter.
But why the obviously western, non-anime characters? Also all that unfiltered swearing for what? You ain’t funny, you cringe, sister! Goddamn!
I legit woulda considered it a 7/10 on account of it being serviceable, if it wasn’t so confused about what it wants to do.
Posted Report
Penguin Dragneel
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Seiken
Not really? Japanese is a language where lines spoken can have more than one meaning.
Using Evangelion as an example, Kaworu’s (now infamous) line from episode 24 is “Suki tte koto sa.” Looking at the “Suki” part specifically, it’s an ambiguous Japanese term that can be used in either a romantic or a platonic way, so the line can either be translated as “it means I like you” or “it means I love you.”
When it comes time to localize lines like that, the localizers have to decide what the context of that line is, and recontextualize it accordingly. It’s why ADV used “love,” while Netflix used “like” instead.
In the case of Fire Emblem Engage, the localizers must’ve determined that some relationships were more platonic in context compared to what the dialogue had originally suggested.
There, satisfied?
phoenixacezero
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

@tehwatever
Once again, it could be the marketing team idea. Similar to when they try to use what hip with the crowd, the marketing team will also try to make suggestion to appeal to audience from other regions by using similar techniques.
A game that does the whole western thing better would be “No More Heroes” by Suda51.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide