Viewing last 25 versions of post by The Smiling Pony in topic Report site bugs here

The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
"[@Background Pony #EF22":](/forums/meta/topics/report-site-bugs-here?post_id=5096924#post_5096924
)  
I haven't the faintest clue what programs people use for GIF making, sorry; I just know free ones like "[ezgif":](https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

)

And the quality for large GIFs will be better as there's more space to add the dithering; the optimizers play fast and loose and don't care for averaging out colour spaces per pixel, not for thumbnail and preview images at least.

GIFs have a very small colour limit for the entire file, 256 colours per frame (for now ignore that some frames are additive so use alpha tricks to display more than that...) 256 is not a lot, even for cartoons like MLP due to backgrounds and certain objects and effects. That means that a gradient that goes from light blue to slightly less light blue can't be shown with the full x-thousand different colours it would have in a video or other image format like BMP or PNG, but is actually just two different blue colours represented as tiny dots in one space, the amount of one over the other leading to the impression that it's a different colour from the two that make it up.

So, very simplified, imagine '◼' is one shade of blue, and '◻' is another shade of blue, we want a thin, short line that smoothly transitions from left to right from ◼ to ◻; a GIF would represent that as this, using a 3x3 grid for each colour:
[@

```  
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻ ◻◻ ◻◻◻

◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◼◻ ◻◼ ◼◻ ◻◻◻

◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻ ◻◻ ◻◻◻
@]

```

Now, if you simply scale the GIF down in dimensions to a third of the size, the above turns into something like this:
[@

```  
◼ ◻ ◼
@]

```

To the eye, the seemingly smooth gradient that showed 5 different colours now only shows 2, and the way they're alternating looks even worse.

Overall, this is just a limitation of the GIF format; resizing a GIF is extremely lossy as the format depends on dithering far more than any other image or video format. I'm terrible at explaining things; I recommend you look into "dithering" and "aliasing effect" if any of this seems interesting.
No reason given
Edited by The Smiling Pony
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
"@Background Pony #EF22":/forums/meta/topics/report-site-bugs-here?post_id=5096924#post_5096924
I haven't the faintest clue what programs people use for GIF making, sorry; I just know free ones like "ezgif":https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

And the quality for large GIFs will be better as there's more space to add the dithering; the optimizers play fast and loose and don't care for averaging out colour spaces per pixel, not for thumbnail and preview images at least.

GIFs have a very small colour limit for the entire file, 256 colours per frame (for now ignore that some frames are additive so use alpha tricks to display more than that...) 256 is not a lot, even for cartoons like MLP due to backgrounds and certain objects and effects. That means that a gradient that goes from light blue to slightly less light blue can't be shown with the full x-thousand different colours it would have in a video or other image format like BMP or PNG, but is actually just two different blue colours represented as tiny dots in one space, the amount of one over the other leading to the impression that it's a different colour from the two that make it up.

So, very simplified, imagine '◼' is one shade of blue, and '◻' is another shade of blue, we want a thin, short line that smoothly transitions from left to right from ◼ to ◻; a GIF would represent that as this, using a 3x3 grid for each colour:
[@
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◻◻ ◻◻◻
◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◼◻ ◻◼◻ ◻◻◻
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◻◻ ◻◻◻
@]

Now, if you simply scale the GIF down in dimensions to a third of the size, the above turns into this:
[@
◼ ◻ ◼
@]

To the eye, the seemingly smooth gradient that showed 5 different colours now only shows 2, and the way they're alternating looks even worse.

Overall, this is just a limitation of the GIF format; resizing a GIF is extremely lossy as the format depends on dithering far more than any other image or video format. I'm terrible at explaining things; I recommend you look into "dithering" and "aliasing effect" if any of this seems interesting.
No reason given
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
"@Background Pony #EF22":/forums/meta/topics/report-site-bugs-here?post_id=5096924#post_5096924
I haven't the faintest clue what programs people use for GIF making, sorry; I just know free ones like "ezgif":https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

So, very simplified, imagine '◼' is one shade of blue, and '◻' is another shade of blue, we want a thin, short line that smoothly transitions from left to right from x to o; a GIF would represent that as this, using a 3x3 grid for each colour:
[@
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◻◻ ◻◻◻
◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◼◻ ◻◼◻ ◻◻◻
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◻◻ ◻◻◻
@]

Now, if you simply scale the GIF down in dimensions to a third of the size, the above turns into this:
[@
◼ ◻ ◼ ◻
@]

No reason given
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )

So, very simplified, imagine 'x' is one shade of blue, and 'o' is another shade of blue, we want a thin, short line that smoothly transitions from left to right from x to o; a GIF would represent that as this, using a 3x3 grid for each colour:
[@
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◻◻ ◻◻◻
◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◼◻ ◻◼◻ ◻◻◻
◼◼◼ ◼◼◼ ◼◻◼ ◻◻◻ ◻◻◻
@]

[@
◼ ◻ ◼ ◻
@]

No reason given