Do you still like Discord after The Ending of the End?

Poll results: Do you still like him?

Yes
55.56% 10 votes
No
44.44% 8 votes

Poll ended with 18 votes.

Andyxdr
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Glowin' up!
I felt like starting this thread because I was wondering if Discord’s popularity really was severely diminished after The Ending of the End. I just hope people who dislike him can live with the fact that there are those who like him and just because some people want him to be turned back to stone doesn’t mean everyone does. It seems like some people will never get over the fact that the villains, particularly Cozy Glow, didn’t get a second chance. I feel like if Discord was turned back to stone, some people would similarly never get over it, either. The poll will be active for two months.
Posted Report
Background Pony #AFEC
@Andyxdr
Thing is, considering how people wanted Grogar to be the final villain, and the fact that Discord did some stuff even before this, I feel it’s likely they would celebrate, though you’re not wrong.
That said, I still do.
Posted Report
Background Pony #770C
Yes. He wanted to change and did it unlike the trio. Don’t “Cozy is just a filly” me. There is no proof that she is just a kid. I also have my doubts that Hasbro would let a filly be sent to Tartarus instead of being grounded by her parents or even turned into stone. She didn’t die by the way. None of them did. People tend to think Discord, Celestia, and Luna killed them or something. They are still alive just like Discord was when he was turned into stone.
Posted Report
Background Pony #AFEC
Unfortunately, people will never, ever get over it.
As for Cozy’s age, understandable, but they actually did send her to Tartarus first, see S8E26. We don’t know if she even has parents.
And to be fair, while true, the thing is, assuming something happened to the statue in G5 (**doubtful
**), we’ll keep the dead assumptions.
Posted Report
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
I’ve always tried to understand what they were trying to do with him in the finale. He’s more of an anti-villain than anything, so I get why they wanted to write him trying to do something good in a dubious way. And even disregarding Discord, I never got what the big deal was with the Evil 3 getting stoned when bronies were always begging and pleading for the reformations to stop. Heck, I always thought Discord getting Sombra “killed” was worse than what he “did” to the Evil 3, considering that the Evil 3 literally tried to murder Twilight and her friends and put Equestria in far worse danger. I still want to like the guy and hope reading his arc in the G5 comic will make me enjoy his character like I did before.
Posted Report
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
I think if u ask this question on mlp reddit alot more people would say yes but in terms of myself I do but not just because im a fan of him as I hated his matter of principles portrayal.
Posted Report
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
I genuinely do think the grogar twist has its good merits and its not quite as bad as it made out to be. Now I don’t think its perfect, it has plenty flaws but I do think the hate for it is overblown.
Setup: There was foreshadowing of it throughout S9, the twist didn’t come out of nowhere. In every episode Discord appeared in except for the big mac getting married one, Discord would leave the scene and grogar would show up.
Characterization wise: Discord is a morally gray character who throughout the series has tried to test/help Twilight in his own chaotic way. He’s a spirit of chaos, who disappears from existence if he completely changes his chaotic mindset. One good thing about the twist is that it shows he cares about his other friends besides just Fluttershy. In the beginning of the end, he is trying to give all of the main six the confidence to be confident leaders. He has a established character flaw of not thinking things through and arrogance.
Morally Wise: Putting Equestria in danger and breaking supervillains out of prison and using them as pawns isn’t something a character who is meant to be becoming more of a good person should be doing. That being said, Discord’s actions and the result of them came from naivety, not thinking things through and his established arrogance rather than malicious intent. Lets be clear even with Frenemies and outside of Season 9, Every villain he used has tried to forcibly conquer a country and we seen an futures were they take over the world is basically at war. Now does this make it right for things he did to them…no probably not. This does mean however that what he did to them isn’t irredeemable.
For putting Equestria in danger: the way Discord saw it is this, in the end The mane six will definitely win with a friendship laser or something and I can act as a safety net if anything goes bad or reverse any danger(which he basically says in The ending of the end part 1). Now he failed at being a safety net due to his ego but not out of malice.
Consequences on Discord: Discord did actually suffer consequences. Some people wanted him to get turned to stone but I feel this contradicts everything about the cast. You can call me bias but to me, turning someone to stone for eternity for legitimately in there heart, making a effort to be a good caring friend is incredibly cruel. For one, Discord lose his magic, was called out by everyone and had fluttershy disappointed in his lack of forethought in the episode and wasn’t forgiven until he put himself in harms way to free Starlight so she could free the mane five and spike so they could found Twilight and save Equestria. In if one looks closely, stays behind to held hold off the trio with starlight and the princesses without any powers. He could have died there but he did it anyways because he wanted to atone.
Goal: I think his goal is highly underrated. He was trying to ensure that the leader of the country was confident and prepared to rule it. Should he have tried tried to reform the trio instead? Debatable imo, if putting his friends in danger for the sake of helping there enemies is exactly better. But if u think that he should have I do get it but I will ask why should that burden only be put on Discord’s shoulders. Why is it that he should be the one to think of reforming the characters when no one else did?
 Extra-
Judge, Jury and Executioner: The trio were already bad guys without Discord and went off on their own to strike out against Equestria in the finale. Chrysalis stated that they will never change for the better and will always return. Which is why the princesses and Discord turned them to stone because at that point they had spent all day doing evil things and made it known that they wouldn’t change. So decided to punish them and also ensure that they will never come back. I also don’t believe that they are awake in stone because I don’t believe the princesses would agree to that.
Posted Report
Starless
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
First off, the Grogar plot twist was a stupid idea. The writers could have had Discord bring back the villains in a way that didn’t involve bringing back Grogar, hyping him up to be the big bad, then throwing it all away with a stupid plot twist. They wasted so much potential because they wanted Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow to be the villains instead of some new guy (new to G4 at least).
The biggest problem about all this is that it made Discord look like a complete idiot and the three villains look much smarter and more competent than they actually were. It’s true that this was by far the biggest and most competent threat Twilight and her friends had ever faced, and the only reason Twilight won was because the student six and two ponies were somehow able to unite everycreature after they all turned on eachother (not to mention they somehow succeeded in turning the CMCs against each other despite being friends for so long, and Lyra and Bon Bon who had just got married), all of Equestria shows up to save Twilight and her friends just as they were about to die, and they wouldn’t have even gotten that far if Discord hadn’t gotten lucky and freed Starlight Glimmer. None of this makes up for the fact that the only reason the villains got so far was because Discord gave them all that power. Discord could have monitored the villains when they retrieved Grogar’s bell and stop them as soon as they thought to betray him, but he didn’t. He could have easily stopped the three villains from using the bell against him but he just stood there and did nothing. He could have just decided not to bring them back and instead send Chrysalis to Tartarus. Discord could have stopped the villains at any time but instead he just let them betray him.
What the writers should have done is have Chrysalis be the one to break Tirek and Cozy Glow out of Tartarus and then the three of them work to find information on how to increase their own power, learn about Grogar’s bell, and retrieve the bell without Discord’s involvement. That way they’d still be the main antagonists of season 9 but they would have been independent from Discord (whose character wouldn’t have been ruined) and there wouldn’t have been as much wasted potential since Grogar wouldn’t appear at all (and his bell might not have even been referred to as his bell, or it could have been a different magic absorption artifact).
I still dislike The Ending of the End for the plot twist, but without that plot twist, it would have been a good finale.
As for the villains being turned to stone, I don’t feel bad for them. Chrysalis and Cozy Glow both had multiple chances at redemption yet they rejected friendship every time, not to mention Chrysalis was part of the reason Cozy Glow and Tirek didn’t reform. Not enough is known about Cozy Glow’s past for her to be sympathetic (it’s possible Cozy Glow killed her own parents offscreen which could be why we never heard anything about them, in which case, nobody would have felt bad for her anymore). I think if any of the three villains should have been given a second chance, it’s Lord Tirek, but even he’s too far beyond redemption at this point.
But I don’t think Discord should have been allowed to choose their punishment. I think Twilight should have been the one to choose their punishment, and she should have given each of them one last chance at redemption, which all three of them would refuse.
I think the villains in MLP were too easily forgiven (except Sunset Shimmer), especially Starlight Glimmer who was arguably just as bad as Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow yet received no punishment for her actions and everypony forgave her just because she had a tragic backstory (which was nothing compared to Tempest Shadow or the comic version of King Sombra).
Posted Report
Background Pony #379E
@Starless
Thing is: They did that, since people were apparently more familiar with those three. Grogar would’ve gotten a “Who?”.
Considering Tirek also comes from G1… Yeah…
🤷
Posted Report
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Starless
While what your saying isn’t really wrong except for the fact that I wouldn’t call him a complete idiot. He tricked the trio for months and it was never shown that he knew they could use the bell. Heck the trio had to go steal a book to do it. While he should have kept better watch over them. This is a consistent character flaw as he also underestimated the mane six in his first appearance.
While it’s true that discord greatly put so many in danger with something that could have been easily avoided, it’s also equally true that he didn’t mean for things to get as bad as they did and that he was trying to be a supportive friend to Equestrias new ruler in what made sense to a spirit of chaos and Disharmony.
I would ultimately argue a neutral stance towards the twist as I feel while their are cons, their are pros or at least things that do work about and surrounding it. That are often overlooked and to which I went into detail about with the post up above:
Posted Report
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
While true Discord did get lucky freeing starlight, that did rely on quick wit. Using tirek’s flaw against him. And understanding the nature of chrysalis and cozy glow. I also think that the fact he had no powers but decided to put himself in harm’s way with the possibly of getting killed by tirek’s beam anyway because he wanted to make things right does count for something.
Harshie83

Live from the hive
I liked Discord all through the series, although I disliked what he he did in the finale, mainly because of his role in enabling the Mean 3 in the first place. But I guess I can’t let one incident wipe out 8 seasons of liking him and enjoying his episodes.
Posted Report
Andyxdr
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Glowin' up!
@Starless
Do you have a problem with someone being too forgiving because you’re convinced that anyone who gets forgiven too easily is going to show recidivism?
Posted Report
Starless
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
While what your saying isn’t really wrong except for the fact that I wouldn’t call him a complete idiot. He tricked the trio for months and it was never shown that he knew they could use the bell. Heck the trio had to go steal a book to do it. While he should have kept better watch over them. This is a consistent character flaw as he also underestimated the mane six in his first appearance.
Regardless of whether he knew they could use the bell or not, he didn’t think that they could figure out how to use the bell. He should have taken preventive measures to make sure they couldn’t use the bell whether they knew how to use it or not.
Not to mention the bell was hidden inside “Grogar’s” lair where Discord could have easily found it yet somehow he didn’t.
While it’s true that discord greatly put so many in danger with something that could have been easily avoided, it’s also equally true that he didn’t mean for things to get as bad as they did and that he was trying to be a supportive friend to Equestrias new ruler in what made sense to a spirit of chaos and Disharmony.
It doesn’t matter. He still put everypony including Fluttershy in danger and would have gotten her killed if all the ponies and creatures in the world, who had all turned on eachother, didn’t show up to save her and her friends, and she was one second away from dying completely. Discord was extremely lucky Fluttershy survived and the student six were somehow able to unite everyone. Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow should have won never been a threat to begin with.
Discord has manipulated, betrayed, and endangered Fluttershy many times. Even if he did deserve forgiveness, he didn’t deserve to be with her.
Do you have a problem with someone being too forgiving because you’re convinced that anyone who gets forgiven too easily is going to show recidivism?
Villains will show recidivism regardless of whether they’re easily forgiven or not. Not all of them do, but a lot of them would, and the three villains who were turned to stone would have inevitably either done that or would have never been “reformed” to begin with, only pretending to be so while they plot their revenge.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Starless
No one is specifically or should be specifically in a relationship because one deserves that person but because they have the most chemistry. Discord has alot of faults and Fluttershy is the nicest ever. But Fluttershy knows that he’s trying his best despite his chaotic nature which is why she loves him.
Discord will do anything for Fluttershy and is a work In progress. And yes it does matter, discord trying to help twilight as leader does matter. The fact that he didn’t mean for things to get the way they did does matter. We both agree he should have used his head more but that doesn’t make discord a bad person just misguided and foolish.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Starless
Which is good people have different opinions. Although like I said my love of ships has never been about “deserving” but the chemistry they have.
Andyxdr
Artist -

Glowin' up!
I guess I can’t let one incident wipe out 8 seasons of liking him and enjoying his episodes.
That’s a good attitude to have if you liked Discord throughout the show, but disapproved of his actions at the end.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide