MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Northern Verve

in case y’all didn’t noticed, i saw dr.wolf’s latest video on g5, and got me thinking that their memories may have been taken away by someone who either another memory stone or some artifact like it, making them forget what really happened.
If an Equestria-wide (Or even world as a whole) memory wipe happened then yeah, that helps alot with the between G4 and G5 situation. Though that mainly still leaves on just who was responsible for the mind wipe, and still where Twilight and/or other Alicorns are that must of lost somehow to said threat.
World-wide magic-trinket induced amnesia might also be somewhat too convenient. But I’d probably accept it better then many of the Twilight turned villainous and/or hermit after the death of her friends’ theories that are out there.
deathsia
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Experienced Writer
I don’t know, I kinda like the idea. Think of it kinda like toff from The Legend of Kora. Forest hermit, stlll badass Alicorn. Or perhaps something catastrophic happened to Equestria and the only way to save it was for Twilight and her friends to sacrifice themselves.
However due to Twilight being an Alicorn, she was spared but as a result she lost all her friends and at the same time lost apart of herself, which is why she let the world think she was gone along with the others.
Just some fan theory for thought.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
I think A New Generation could make a good point and click adventure game in the vain of Grim Fandango and Syberia with puzzles and ponies to interact with especially since there is not too much action in the movie.
I’m thinking of something like the Spongebob Movie PC game (if anyone even remembers that) or Employee of the Month pc game.
Northern Verve

I don’t know, I kinda like the idea. Think of it kinda like toff from The Legend of Kora. Forest hermit, stlll badass Alicorn. Or perhaps something catastrophic happened to Equestria and the only way to save it was for Twilight and her friends to sacrifice themselves.
However due to Twilight being an Alicorn, she was spared but as a result she lost all her friends and at the same time lost apart of herself, which is why she let the world think she was gone along with the others.
There may be some ways to write it that it’s done with enough tact and respect for Twilight’s character, though I’m just worried about the many ways that could go wrong. Nothing would infuriate fans of the previous show to have the main character from the previous series become evil or otherwise a hermit that just decided to stop doing things (Ala Last Jedi Luke Skywalker) for no good reason.
Twilight returning at all in some fashion is probably a big card that will be carried for a little while. Probably at the earliest the Season 1 finale (Probably more specifically, an ending stinger/cliffhangar that excites fans prior to Season 2) or if a sequel movie happens. Not just because it’s a dramatic twist to excite fans, but they’ll probably need the time to think on just how to implement it. I know it’s not a guarantee that Twilight returns, and I’m not demanding that it happens. But it should at least be acknowledged as one of the ideas they could do for a special event.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Northern Verve
There was that one message from one of the staff to the effect of “No, Twilight won’t outlive her friends.” Some fans have speculated that contrary to popular belief, immortality is not a standard feature of alicorn physiology, that Celestia and Luna were sustained by their respective magical connections to the sun and moon. Which would mean that all of the Mane Six would have died of natural causes well before any of the bad stuff happened.
Then again, that still leaves Spike and Discord.
Northern Verve

I’m aware of the Megan McCarthy quote, but I don’t think the sisters seeming immortality being connected to the Sun and Moon is a confirmed thing. Which leaves us only with the question is if Twilight isn’t eventually going to be as long lived as Celestia or Luna then why did she grow to Celestia’s size AND why did Celestia and Luna retire if they knew Twilight wouldn’t be able to live as long as them?
And even if that is the case, then it might help to have a clear message that Twilight is in fact dead so there’s no confusion. Cause relying on one staffer’s quote (Even if Meghan was a major showrunner at one point) that may have been contradicted by Season 9 isn’t going to help matters at this point. This was a fault with G4 too, but again, this circles back to what I mentioned with how G5 will be inheriting some things about g4’s world that fans still want to see, like an official canonized expansion on Alicorn lore. They put G5 in the same world, it should be expected that previous questions come back. Even if it was only to try to attract G4 fans to watch and nothing more. It’s a side effect of implying it’s a far off future sequel
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Northern Verve
As I understand, essentially nothing regarding anypony’s lifespan is properly confirmed. Kind of hard to discuss that in a kid’s show where any mention of death is strictly forbidden.
One of the press releases mentioned wanting to aim for a slightly older audience in G5. Though given that Sprout’s attempt at a race war involved no weapons beyond devices that launch green splooge, I doubt they’ll be changing that policy any time soon.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@DoctorWTF
The movie is PG here in Australia while the 2017 movie was G, but it does seem like branding is physically impossible to shake. Last time a company tried they were forced into bankruptcy by the IP holder.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Was thinking about the movie at work.
I think horns, wings, magic and flight are an allegory for culture. There’s a logical connection to be made between a person’s ethnicity and culture, but how strong that connection is and whether it even exists depends on the individual. I’ve said it before, but flying and magic aren’t a core part of who Pipp and Izzy are, respectively.
So where does this take us? Firstly, it means that Sunny’s comments towards Izzy in the lighthouse are extremely insensitive. Like, forget “woke”, if you translated the stereotypes to real life, a neutral person from twenty years ago would have gone “Dude, you can’t say that!”. But there’s no malice, just genuine curiosity. So the insensitivity goes completely over Izzy’s head, and they become friends. You could also view the fake wings and horn she wears at CanterLogic to be cultural appropriation (the bad kind, where you just copy something without taking the time to understand it). It shows that she has good intentions, but is misguided, which is the flaw she has to overcome.
In that context, Fit Right In becomes about experiencing another culture. There’s all this nuance that an outsider wouldn’t even pick up on. Then it adds an extra layer to her transformation; she’s gone out and actually earned the right to advocate for the unicorns and pegasi.
Applepie2010
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Yakyakistan
I think A New Generation could make a good point and click adventure game in the vain of Grim Fandango and Syberia with puzzles and ponies to interact with especially since there is not too much action in the movie.
I’m thinking of something like the Spongebob Movie PC game (if anyone even remembers that) or Employee of the Month pc game.
Oh yeah
TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
I agree the 2017 pony film has many flaws but criticizing it for “i do not get any of this because i did not watch the show” is so stupid. It is not the writers’ fault if you are gonna watch an adaptation without knowing the source material.
Harmony Gladebloom
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Economist -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Hooves to Hearts! /<3)
@DerpyFast
I honestly feel like you’re reading too hard into it. Cultural differences were already flatly displayed with local superstitions in Bridlewood, so why would they include an allegory for it on top of that? Not to mention Fit Right In includes the line “Take away our wings and horns and we’re just frightened steeds,” which works far better without trying to interpret it as something about culture.
Overall the movie has a nice general message of unity, but if you ignore the forest to look for specific trees you may end up wrecking some of it.
Background Pony #596B
@TOMNICE
I can see that argument to a point, but you should have a film which non fans can enjoy and follow along.
That said I don’t think that is an issue with that movie.
Background Pony #121A
There may be some ways to write it that it’s done with enough tact and respect for Twilight’s character, though I’m just worried about the many ways that could go wrong. Nothing would infuriate fans of the previous show to have the main character from the previous series become evil or otherwise a hermit that just decided to stop doing things (Ala Last Jedi Luke Skywalker) for no good reason.
Twilight returning at all in some fashion is probably a big card that will be carried for a little while. Probably at the earliest the Season 1 finale (Probably more specifically, an ending stinger/cliffhangar that excites fans prior to Season 2) or if a sequel movie happens. Not just because it’s a dramatic twist to excite fans, but they’ll probably need the time to think on just how to implement it. I know it’s not a guarantee that Twilight returns, and I’m not demanding that it happens. But it should at least be acknowledged as one of the ideas they could do for a special event.
Hasbro has not declared her dead for the G5, and it was noticed that something is going on behind the scenes where powerful forces can be in the swing. What we discovered around the glass window, the three crystals that hid a spell that can only be activated by Sunny under the right circumstances and the shock of the disappearance of the Everfree forest as the fate of the harmony tree - everything points to that. Something catastrophic must have happened for the magic to disappear, and the ponies seemed to have had collective memory loss so that they do not know about each other’s fates after the collapse of magic.
Since Twilight may have been hiding and then operating in secret - it must mean that she has a powerful enemy who forced her into cover as with Palpatine and Yoda. An enemy who also operates in secret to become strong enough. It is possible that she is not alone, but also that she, like Celestia, could do little more than wait for hope. There are indications that Sunny`s fate was decided when she was born, and her father turned out to be a mysterious pony with unsolvable riddles after his passing. As we will discover in the G5. Do not think she will go out in the open, the risk that the Mane 5 will be attacked may be too great. Yoda chose to die in hope, while Luke went out with a bang - here I think Twilight will just let fate be completed and see that all her plans and hopes will bring her redemption. We may experience that she will die or ascend forever away from the world of the mortal, when her mission is completed.
Also, Twilight should be there when Sunny becomes 100% alicorn, to welcome her among the alicorns. Furthermore; it becomes more exciting when one senses that something powerful and indescribable is happening behind the scenes while the actions are taking place. It is possible that Twilight and Grogar are in a deadly game that could end with Grogar being able to invade Equus while Twilight will have anyone she needs to stop the biggest enemy the ponies have ever had. Then we will not discover them, only indirect consequences of their actions - perhaps throughout the G5 towards the final, when Sunny will face the final ordeal.
We are not done with Twilight; When she finally walks away and can join her friends forever, it will be a sad but memorable moment for all MLP fans.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

so why would they include an allegory for it on top of that?
Because the allegory is specifically about the connections between ethnicity and culture. Flight is something you would logically associate with pegasi, but Zipp and Pipp show that its actual importance varies depending on the individual.
Not to mention Fit Right In includes the line “Take away our wings and horns and we’re just frightened steeds,” which works far better without trying to interpret it as something about culture.
I’d argue that it adds an extra layer, because you can be distrustful of someone because they look different, but you can also distrust them because of cultural differences.
@TOMNICE
Ideally, you’d create a movie that gives fans more of that thing they already like, but with a cinematic scale, and gives non-fans a sense of what the fuss is all about. One of the problems with FiM in general is that there’s a lot of lore you need to understand, but very rarely is the lore what’s driving the plot.
The movie doesn’t take place in Equestria, and we don’t really get the sense of why The Mane Six are friends. So other than a great score, great animation and great cinematography, the 2017 movie doesn’t have a lot to offer anyone.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
So, random thought: Did the magic returning also restore memories of how to use it? If so, that suggests that the crystals specifically stored the magic away for a reason.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide