MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Couple of stray thoughts:
The fight between Sunny and Opaline is even more satisfying if you’ve seen “Mission Imponable”, because it means Sunny was able to hold her own against Opaline thanks to the training her friends gave her.
Speaking of the fight, it’s a genuinely good fight with some actual back and forth, and everyone helping out. I like that Opaline has a proper weakness: she gets high on power, and tries to brute-force the fight instead of conserving magic and aiming. Meanwhile, Sunny only erected a shield where she needed to, instead of putting up a full shield. She probably got Opaline to waste a ton of power in that fight. It feels like magic fights have actual rules now.
I love that “A Little Horse” gives us a little breather episode before the climactic finale.
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Grumpy and antisocial
@🧡☮Starrscout☮🧡
Bridlewoodstock was really nice! Best episode? Well… The Manesquerade Ball, because I really like how the Mane 5, Misty, Jazz and Rocky looked dressed up for the ball. And Misty finding that alicorn book also made pretty happy! Worse? I don’t know, The Jinxie Games? Because I was really upset about how messed up that Bridlewood sporty thing is.
Background Pony #78BB
@GoodVibesGorgeous
I think Twilight’s “alicorn elemental duty” would be magic. Not just because that was her element but because she knew how to do things no other pony could in her time. I mean, she channeled all of Equestria magic to the Unity Crystals, took away Opaline’s magic and hid Equestria from her. If that it is not her true alicorn element, I don’t know what it is.
Background Pony #78BB
@GoodVibesGorgeous
Regarding that book, Misty will probably give the pages that she took from it to Zipp. She is now a double agent. Though she must hide her cutie mark from Opaline.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
Saw Chapter 4 and I liked it, I thought it was better than Chapter 2
Bridlewoodstock: For being a 45 minute special, it was pretty mediocre. I honestly expected it to be a lot grander than the trailers promised but the story we got was fine. The Troggles were alright, they reminded me of Digimon by the designs and while I did like the musician characters, I wish they could’ve been used more instead of used to create a conflict that got easily resolved. Lastly, I do find Pipp’s characterization in this to be odd from how she was ignoring all the warnings of the unicorns. Overall, it was a meh special, the good thing I can say is that it had better animation than the Chapter 1 special
Top Remodel: I liked it but it did have pros and cons. I’m glad they acknowledged the Canterlogic building again, I’m happy that Sprout is back and has a bigger role and Sunny and Izzy’s plot was good enough. On the other hand, Hitch and Pipp’s subplot felt recycled from Chapter 2 to the point they actually acknowledged it and I wish they focused a bit more on Zipp’s subplot on decoding Twilight’s message. Overall, despite some issues, I liked it
The Jinxie Games: I really enjoyed this one, it made me laugh on so many occasions and the idea of there being a big sports competition where the rules make no sense is hilarious to me. The plot with Zipp and Pipp with Haven was pretty charming, I liked the maturity that they handled it with care. Barring the finale, this is probably my favorite episode of this chapter, I loved it
Sunny Side Up: Another one I liked. Sunny and Hitch’s plot with the cooking show was decent enough, I enjoyed their interactions and dynamic enough, but the Opaline and Misty plot stole the show for me. Misty’s beginning inner struggles with her good and bad side was interesting and made me worry for the poor girl and I loved Opaline in this episode. Not only did she show more comedic moments and had an alright enough backstory (Hi Celestia and Luna), but she got out of the castle to do something useful for once like get some magical stone. I liked this one as well, could’ve been funnier
The Manesquerade Ball: This one was pretty okay. A Grand Galloping Gala-esque ball was alright, but I did like Zipp and Misty’s plot and Misty throwing her scent off to fool Zipp was pretty clever I’ll admit. Not much else to say for this one other than it was alright
A Little Horse: This one was pretty meh, the weakest of the episodes. It felt like an extended MYM episode that didn’t seem to go anywhere which for being a lowkey episode is fine enough, but I would’ve liked it if the pacing wasn’t so slow. It had some funny moments and the most interesting part was Zipp getting close to cracking Twilight’s message which I think would’ve worked better as its own episode instead of having it be a side plot for how important they’re building it up to be. My least favorite of the chapter, but I wouldn’t call it a bad episode
Missed The Mark: I really liked this finale. Sparky finally got captured, Opaline got most of her powers back, Misty reveals her true colors to the gang, she switches sides, the Mane 5, mostly Sunny, fight off against Opaline and Misty finally gets her cutie mark. That and it looks like we’re finally gonna know more about the dragons judging by the end. I wish the fight scene could’ve been a bit longer but other than that, great episode and a good ending to this chapter
Overall, I really enjoyed this chapter, the wait was worth it to me and I can’t wait for what Chapter 5 has in store.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

There’s been talk about who the main character of G5 is. I think there are three main characters: Sunny, Zipp and Hitch. They’re like a Freudian Trio, but with a twist.
Hitch is all about rules, but he’s also driven by emotion, and the one who will leap into action without thinking. He’s like a Lawful McCoy.
Zipp is very logical and calculated, but is absolutely willing to break the rules. She’s like a Chaotic Spock.
Sunny is The Kirk. Actual TOS Kirk, not the pop culture perception of Kirk. She’s the leader who has to balance the two.
Background Pony #E7BC
I wonder how Misty’s gonna hide that she got her cutie mark, or if she will hide it and Opaline just won’t notice it. She can’t be that self-absorbed right?
Background Pony #C1C5
My headcanon is that Alphabittle was REALLY good at the Jinxie Games when he was younger, to the point where he was forced to retire because he won too much.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

With the exception of Bridlewoodstock, I’ve now watched Chapter 4 twice. The thing I missed most from the movie was the sense of humour, and I feel like they’ve finally recaptured it.
Amphibian Swamp
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

I think I might have found out what happened to Jazz’s ears. This video’s comments Spoilers The Manesquerade Ball Scroll down a bit and you’ll see a comment with some replies. (The person who has their account named after Sunny and has her as a PFP, click on the “more replies” option) There’s a comment that mentions that an animator or someone explained the lack of them on discord.
But maybe take it as a grain of salt for Not. I’m not sure if this is true or not, I have a feeling it isn’t. But might be interesting to have a look at, and might or might not be a close to true explaination on why her ears are gone.
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

House of the Arcana
“One of the animators actually explained Jazz’s lack of ears on Discord.
Basically, Jazz was originally supposed to have a giant poofy mane with her ears kind of tangled in it. But the huge mane didn’t look good when rendered in 3D, so they replaced it with her current mane.
The way her ears clipped through didn’t look right, so they stopped using them.
They’re under much tighter time constraints than the movie folks were. If Jazz was a main character who had a lot of screentime they would’ve redone her model to make the ears look right. Since she isn’t, it wasn’t worth the time.”
I knew it was because of the clipping. With that said, if it’s deliberate now, should we stop tagging further images of her with “Jazz has no ears” tag?
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
They had plenty of time to fix Jazz’s model at this point. I’m starting to think her not having noticable ears is intentional and her hair is supposed to be hiding them.
Background Pony #13BA
@TheQuietMan
I’m not sure how authentic the YT comment is, but seeing how unique her mane is, I guess it was too hard for them to make the strands go around her ears. Keep in mind that most of the ponies in MYM have a bare space where their ears can easily fit in.
Background Pony #78BB
It’s MYM Chapter 4 but every time Opaline says fire, Beavis from Beavis and Butt-Head says it.
mdashlw
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

The original message from an animator on MYM:
I can also say from my own knowledge that her ears are layered behind her hair, and that it’s an executive decision
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide