Unpopular opinion time

Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Brass Beau  
I wish the show would’ve explored horses a little more in the show. Was Trouble Shoes supposed to be a horse or an earth pony? I like to headcanon horses as the ancient ancestors of ponies, and that alicorns are taller because they are returning to their ancient roots. And all 3 pony races have “scientific” theories about which of them are the closest related to the horse since there is a prestige to connecting oneself to such an esteemed race.
Latecomer

@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
Well that’s just it - by our world’s current standard, they are offensive and inappropriate racial humour. But Equestria is a bit backwards in racial integration as well as technology, and it’s only in later seasons - long after the mule jokes - that the show starts pushing against that, albiet in a rather missionary way.

I’m sure that mules aren’t exactly pleased to hear that sort of thing, and it could have made a good and progressive moral about microagressions. But the show isn’t quite so daring, I’m afraid.

@Brass Beau  
No apparent magic either, and such dull coats… is it a wonder ponies mock them?
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Wiimeiser  
I kinda get why kirin, kelpies, hippogriffs and hippocampi don’t have a cutie mark since they’re traditionally part dragon, made of water, part eagle and part fish, respectively. The exclusion of donkeys seems kinda arbitrary.

@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
Trouble Shoes has to be a horse and likely Big Mac is, too. Ponies are supposed to be about four feet tall and if Trouble Shoes is the max limit, that’d make the CMC smaller than most foals.

@Latecomer  
And don’t forget that real life miles are infertile so I’d imagine they’re fairly rare in Equestria. The one we saw could be the only mule for hundreds of miles for all we know.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
In classical mythology, gryphons ate horses. Also in classical mythology, a hippogriff comes from mating a gryphon and horse. Hippogriffs have the front half of an eagle and the back half of a horse. Hippocampi have the front half of a horse and back half of a fish. In the show and movie, when a hippogriff goes from one form to the other, their beaks become muzzles. I have so many questions about how all of that comes together.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Rover: Ha! Make the noises all you want. But move while you make them. Hyah, mule!
Rarity: Did you just call me a… mule?
Rover: Ehh…
Rarity: Mules are ugly. Are you saying that I too am ugly? [cries]

Considering that the earlier aforementioned episode (Applebuck Season) established them as sapient, I’m not sure the writer thought that through, in all likelihood, lol… especially considering Amy Keating Rogers was credited for both of them.
Spinny
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Resident Spin Fetishist
@AC97

That’s one of the reasons why Rarity was seen as a racist in season 1. The other was with Zecora, as Rarity was the only one who was put off by her appearance rather than her mannerisms.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Spinny

…huh, that episode, too, was written by the same writer.

Hmm… maybe there is a bit of substance to that one.

Rarity: Just look at those stripes! So garish!
Twilight Sparkle: She’s a zebra.
Everyone but Twilight: A what!?
Twilight Sparkle: A zebra, and her stripes aren’t a fashion choice Rarity, they’re what she was born with.
Rarity: [faints]
RogueBadnik
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
Still bugs me that we never figure out more about the specie, kingdom or anything that comes from Captain Celaeno and her crew of anthro parrots
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Officially, it’s pity - if only their mother had chosen a proper father, they wouldn’t be denied the magic and mark that are their birthright, as well as any chance at foals of their own. Unofficially, many who look down on mules don’t think much of donkeys either - they’re basically just earth ponies without any of the pony perks, after all.

@Spinny  
Some mild internlised racism is more likely than not for characters of their apparent class, especially the most class-aspirant among them.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
So, the ponies of Equestria are specisist, classist, (possibly) mildly androgynistic and ruled by a monarchy that may or may not be the figure of their religious beliefs… yeah, I’d still live there.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide