Unpopular opinion time

Sadrai

This my first time on a forum and my unpopular opinion is snips and snails are over hated by the fandom, I don’t think there the best characters ever but I feel people made them out worse than they were.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
I never had a problem with them as characters. but i’ve always that Snails’ voice was completely unsuited for his age.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Sadrai

They suffered by having Boast Busters kind of mishandle them from a narrative perspective (no, they didn’t need mustaches at the end of that episode), and the consequences therein. I think they were better handled after that episode, especially as far as S6 and S9 went.

…Trixie also has people ignore that while she didn’t exactly ask anyone to bring an Ursa Major (Minor, but still), she still provoked the supposed “hecklers” in her debut, starting with her calling Applejack a “hayseed,” and ending with her provoking Rarity by insulting her mane, meaning she really removed that aspect of moral high ground some claim her to possess, if you think about it, and she was still self-aggrandizing by the end… and you’ll notice that even if it was 100% sincere (up for debate), she never did apologize in the slightest in Magic Duel for being a jerk to Twilight’s friends in Boast Busters.

Trixie: Well, how about it? Hm? Is there anything you can do that the Great and Powerful Trixie can’t?
Twilight Sparkle: I— I—
Trixie: Well, little hayseed?
Applejack: That’s it! I can’t stand for no more of this!
Spike: You show her, AJ!

Rarity: Enough. Enough, all of you. I take your hint, but Rarity is above such nonsense. Rainbow Dash and Applejack may behave like ruffians, but Rarity conducts herself with beauty and grace.
Trixie: Ooo, what’s the matter? Afraid you’ll get a hair out of place in that rat’s nest you call a mane?
Rarity: Oh, it. Is. On!

Even the one who wasn’t directly provoked via insult, Rainbow Dash, only did it after she humiliated Applejack… and Trixie made sure to call her a “loser” to rub salt in the wound.
Sadrai

@Dex Stewart  
Me to there not my favorite characters but I like them

@Mildgyth  
I can understand that he does sound a little older than he is suppose to be

@AC97  
Yeah true boast busters is kind of what started the hate an it was the first appearance of them plus I agree the should have had a more proper punishment, I also agree that they were better handled in other episodes especially the buckball episodes which is what I assume u mean when you mention season 6 and 9
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer

@Myoozik  
True but we don’t have pastel colored talking ponies.

@Mildgyth

@Latecomer  
Whatever the male equivalent of misogyny is called. It was 4AM when I tried to remember the word.

@Sadrai  
Adolescent boys can be hard to write for an adolescent girls shows. They got better but their early characterization wasn’t very flattering.

@AC97  
The lesson was supposed to be about bragging but a better lesson with that premise would have been to know when to walk away. Trixie is a show pony so some boasting is a little expected. Had AJ and the others walked away and Trixie still challenged them then I think the message would have been a little clearer.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Brass Beau

Yeah, all-in-all, they could’ve made the message they wanted to convey clearer. It was one of the less gracefully executed episodes in S1.

They could’ve, for example, had Trixie lying off-stage to more than just two foolish kids, or have her (justifiably) not even try to beat the Ursa Minor, and still persist in the boasting afterwards, in addition to what you said, about her alternatively provoking Applejack after she tried to walk away with her friends… or they could’ve had something less extreme than the Ursa Minor happen to begin with.

@Sadrai

Good thing about that was, it didn’t really contradict either of them as characters. Snails seemed more inherently airheaded, and so being able to perform well under pressure because he doesn’t think about it works (and he was one of the few kids who used basic magic in S1, so him being surprisingly good at telekinesis isn’t too surprising), Snips seemed like he was maybe more gullible than inherently stupid (it was his idea in S1), and they made it clear the latter had learned from blindly believing boasts in S9.

Snips: Wait. They don’t live here?
Scootaloo: Nope. Their jobs are way too important for that. They travel to the farthest, most dangerous places in Equestria to study unknown plants and fierce creatures. And what they learn helps pony science and medicine. I’d go with them, but it’s too dangerous. Once, my mom had to wing-wrestle a wyvern, and my dad got trapped in a chimera’s cave for three moons! He still has the scars to prove it.
Snips: [scoffs] You’re making that up. Nopony has that kind of job.

(On the subject of Scootaloo’s parents, hmm… on one hand, Scoota-orphan is overused and badly done to crap, and same especially for Scootabuse, but I’m not sure what to think really about their parents, other than trying to uproot her life out of nowhere is… not the best parenting, probably)
Sadrai

@AC97  
Exactly man another unpopular opinion I have is I don’t think Snips is dumb he was just a gullible colt plus he seems to be always coming up with ideas like using Snails fame and the cheerleaders to sell merchandise which honestly is smart. Also I think another thing that helped was they never did anything as bad as the boaster boaster incident ever again and probably will not because like you said he doesn’t trust everything people tell him after he questioned what scootaloo parents do for a living.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@AC97  
Uprooting is fairly common so it’s not surprising. And considering the work they do I can see why they have Scootaloo cared for by her dad’s sister. It is unusual for Scootaloo not to live in her aunt’s house, though. I’m curious how they decided on the arrangement that they did.
Latecomer

The main problem with Snips and Snails is that they’re very sterotypical “idiot boys”. It’s mitigated in their debut by putting them against their more competent peer Spike, though.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Spike At Your Service would have been funnier if the comedy wasn’t about Spike failing to be helpful, but Spike being so helpful Applejack doesn’t want to give him up.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Speaking of Scootaloo: I’m not sure if this is necessarily unpopular, but I haven’t heard anyone else express this idea, sooo…

Scootaloo is a case study in how NOT to handle a disabled character.

First we get “Flight to the Finish” - at this point it’s utterly undetermined whether there’s anything wrong with her wings, or whether she’s just having trouble learning to use them correctly. Do we see any reference to anyone offering her proper help in that department? Nope.

Seasons pass, and it looks like something most likely is wrong with her wings, culminating in “The Washouts” - she is so desperate for at least some of what her condition has denied her that she joins a stunt team with a devil-may-care attitude towards safety. Do we ever see anyone trying to meaningfully help her cope with her condition (let alone any reference to her having gone to a doctor to see if it might be treatable)? Nope.

Then we get “Growing Up is Hard to Do”, with Scootaloo’s adult body still having child-size wings (technically up for interpretation on account of Bulk Biceps, but it’s obvious what they were going for there). Does she react to the prospect of being grounded for life as one would expect? Nope. She appears not to notice at all. (kind of understandable as it wouldn’t serve the plot, but come on - you do NOT drop a bombshell of that magnitude and treat it as an inconsequential detail).

Meanwhile, it is well established in canon that Equestria is no stranger to aeronautical engineering. “Call of the Cutie” had Apple Bloom try out some old-fashioned glider, “The Cutie Pox” has Apple Bloom with a hang glider cutie mark among all the others, and issue 81 of the comic has Scootaloo learn of an earth pony who built a glider backpack and got into the Wonderbolts. Does anyone even briefly mention that such technology might be useful to Scootaloo (just as many people in real life use various technology to compensate for various disabilities)? Nope.

Taken in context, what we actually get to see feels more than anything like more fuel for the Scootabuse dumpster fire. Sure, some of that stuff might have happened off-camera. But considering that the show has had much more in-depth exploration of characters’ feelings than you normally get in a Y-rated cartoon, they dropped the ball big time.

My tentative headcanon - rather, the only thing I can think of that makes everything make sense in a non-Scootabuse context - is that she’s receiving physical therapy or something in hopes of one day flying, and she’s under doctor’s orders not to use a glider because she might develop bad habits which would impede her progress towards flying without one.

Hopefully now that the comic is no longer tied to the show’s continuity, they can give this matter the treatment it deserves. Though considering that issue 81 came out a few months before the final episode aired, maybe it was meant as a taste of things to come…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide