Unpopular opinion time

Background Pony #01EC
@Brass Beau  
And Twilight lives in another city away from them, and possibly Rarity in another country.

I was talking more like in S1-2, we saw them spending the night together stargazing, having a picnic, at the spa together, or hung out at Rainbow’s house waiting for her to get her acceptance; just hanging out. Feels like we got less of that as the show went on.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

So I recently watched School Daze because my curiosity was bigger than what I can hold.

full

It’s a very looong and boring episode with predictable details, such as an annoying Pinkie Pie, but I have the feeling that the writers want to repeat the exact same premise of the show with new characters… a premise from 2010.

The original premise was Twilight Sparkle, the Mane 6 and the Cutie Mark Crusaders learning about friendship. Then, when we got Rainbow Rocks, it was about Sunset Shimmer learning about friendship. Then, after Cutie Re-mark, Starlight episodes were about learning about friendship and some of these episodes have the same narrative structure of Twilight episodes from season 1 (and you can tell in episodes like The Crystalling).

And two seasons later, we got a new school with new characters that are gonna learn about friendship.

Is it me or is this season gonna be repetitive? At least I’d like to see some originality and some interesting concepts. Twilight Sparkle as a teacher was something I thought back in 2011, but if this is where they’re going with now, I wanted to see that much earlier.

By the way, quick random thought I had: The ponies who need to aprove Twilight’s school, why do they need to look like a villain? I kinda see that design in a villain, not in a group of ponies to have to aprove some school ideas.

Anyway, hopefully the season 8 will have some interesting episodes. I won’t expect it to be better or worse than season 7, but School Daze is not a very good first impression for a 26 episodes season.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@Ring Team  
Because the school has no opposition except reality, so they needed to justify it by making up a “EVIL” bureaucracy that literally didn’t exist for the entirety of the show and will continue not to after this season, to justify the new gimmick that will be boring as fart.
Background Pony #01EC
The school concept is really weak, but I liked it as being part of Twilight’s princess duties, cause it finally gave her a more tangible role to work with like the other princesses.
Background Pony #563A
Its S8. Just put your brain on autopilot, set your expectations low and be pleasantly surprised by the occasional good episode and funny moments.
Background Pony #01EC
@Myoozik  
The episode wasn’t entirely just them hanging out though. Like when I mentioned the star gazing thing, it was during Owl’s End That Ends Well, which is a Spike episode. The picnic thing happened in Lesson Zero, and the whole hanging out waiting for Rainbow’s acceptance letter was just the beginning. The whole episode doesn’t have to be them just hanging out, but I feel as the show went on, we got less and less moments like that.
Background Pony #563A
@Background Pony #01EC

Running a school and travelling across the country solving problems isn’t quite as good at displaying friends hanging out like friends like a sleepover or picnic would.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

I’ve recently watched Maud Couple, Fake it ‘till you make it and Grannies gone wild. None of them were bad, but all the three episodes were boring, filler episodes and overall unnecessary.

I have some complaints, but it’s not that big of a deal, probably because the show has gone to a point of no return or no fix. It’s not like I should be that invested in Friendship is Magic.

The good thing is that I’ve watched 5 episodes out of 26 at this point. I can finish watching the whole show before 2022. :P
Background Pony #563A
@Ring Team  
Better than I did. I dropped the show after seeing the preview description for the father knows beast episode. The plot was so predictable from just the snipet synopsis given before the ep that I could already see all the plot points coming and realized it was bad. That, along with an already underwhelming S8 made me uninterested to get back into it. I hope your journey ends better than mine did. Just remember to keep those expectations as low as possible for the last two seasons.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
@Background Pony #563A  
Still better than me, I quit halfway into season 9 just before the finale, right around 246 great and Trivial Pursuit when it it was just going back to pulling the same shit they knew everyone hated back in S6 and S8. Reading the leaks afterwards just solidified my choice :/
Background Pony #563A
Unpopular opinion: MLP should have ended at the S5 finale. Despite me not liking S5 as a whole that much, I still think the season finale was the perfect episode to go out on.
Ring Team
Artist -

If we have to go with that with season 5, I think Crusaders of the Lost Mark could have been the perfect ending for the show. The CMC would get their cutie marks and that’s it. The episode ends like a TV show would end.

About the show being predictable, I started thinking about that during season 4. The overuse of superlatives in the dialogue, some plot twists, some other details, the usual ending of many episodes, etc.
Background Pony #563A
@Ring Team  
That would still leave Starlight loose on the world with no closing to that arc. As much as that ep may be hype with fans, it cretainly wasn’t a series finale worth episode.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
Honestly would have just taken S4’s finale and moved it to S5, or probably just made a new finale all together. I really didn’t like Cutie Remark and I’d probably like it even less as a finale
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
@Background Pony #563A  
I felt Cutie Remark focused too much on really edgy alternate universes. Coupled with a really bad redemption angle, I’d still prefer S4’s finale.

Of course the best alternative imo is a new story all together
Ring Team
Artist -

I don’t know, I like Twilight’s Kingdom more than Cutie re-mark. The first episode had a nice length, with two parts, interesting conflict and relatable motivations.

Cutie re-mark, however, a big part of that episode was Starlight Glimmer. And she was barely developed in season 5.

I really like season 5, but not for Cutie map and Cutie re-mark.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide