Unpopular opinion time

Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
Since it was brought up, despite being annoyed with starting every season with Maud, Maud Couple was way better than Rock Solid Friendship
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I’m not sure if Mudbriar is an interesting character for the overall show. I think couples in movies or TV shows or videogames are more interesting when they are different to each other. For example, in Uncharted 1 and 2 you have Nathan and Elena (I haven’t finished 3 and I haven’t played 4). In WALL·E, you have WALL·E and EVE. In City Lights you have the main character and the blind girl.

Here, we have Maud Pie’s boyfriend who’s like Maud Pie but with sticks. Some scenes are kinda cute, but not enough for a 22 minutes episode. It’s a bit redundant.

It’s not that big of a deal to me anyways, but I’m assuming if someone from the Mane 6 will get a boyfriend in season 8 or 9, that boyfriend will be very similar to her.

And I agree that Maud Couple was better than Rock Solid Friendship, at least for little things, like the final message, which is great. My main problem with that episode is that it’s really boring.
Latecomer

@Ring Team  
Well the thing is, Mudbriar doesn’t exist for his own sake, or even Maud’s - he exists for Pinkie’s character development. In order for her to learn the lesson of tolerating those our loved ones love who we can’t relate too, he has to be hard to tolerate - espcially given the high bar that is making Pinkie Pie reluctant to befriend you. Given Maud is already sort of Pinkie’s antithesis, making him like her, but even more so and a bit obnoxious about it, works pretty well.
Background Pony #563A
@Ring Team  
Opposites attracting is decent for chemistry on tv but the older I’ve gotten, the more I see couples like that not lasting in real life and can appreciate couples on tv who share interests or are similar in character like the cakes and Maudbriar.
Background Pony #563A
@Latecomer  
I was talking romantic ships. Opposite personality friendships is whatever to me, as long as the show’s good. I realize some conflict’s needed to make the story go forward and it is nice to see the ponies who are living different lifestyles can still be friends.

Romance is another story, at least to me.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Latecomer  
You should because MLP FIM is a show that was never intended to be heavy on the story arcs and continuity when even after it lost its slice of life nature, it was still relatively simple so I don’t get why episodes are considered “filler”. Really it just sounds more like a word used as a scapegoat rather than actually giving out reasons why someone doesn’t like the episode.
Background Pony #563A
@Myoozik  
The later seasons were pretty story focused. I don’t think its that odd to view non arc focused stories in S9, for instance, as filler if the main arcs in that season (princesses retiring, twilight taking over, villain team) weren’t referenced at least once. Should it have been this way? Honestly, no. The more early season’s focus on its episodic SoL formula made for a decent and entertaining show with a level of charm the later seasons lacked and, at least to me, the sol stuff allowed for better character development as it let us see these characters in everyday situations. The Student 6 really needed more of that.
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Background Pony #563A  
I suppose so but even then, it didn’t hurt to return to its slice of life roots in the middle of these stories and arcs since it was what the show got started with in the first place. That’s why I don’t like the idea of using the term filler to describe episodes like that alongside the word getting abused.

And since I’m personally more of a fan of story driven plots and settings heavy stories, I don’t mind the later seasons for it and in fact, a couple of my favorite episodes are from after Season 3. The early seasons are nice and all and I do have my faves from them, but I’ve always liked the inclusion of more settings which is why I was a huge fan of the Crystal Map idea.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Filler? In FiM? If you’re looking for an overarching plot then FiM is 90% filler. Season 1 would be four episodes long.
Latecomer

@Background Pony #563A  
Well yeah - I was thinking of ships too. And I do think some fit better than others. (What do you think of Twijack?)

@Myoozik  
I think the intended meaning might be something like “forgettable” or “pointless” - wondering why they wasted an episode slot on it.
Background Pony #563A
@Latecomer  
I’ve never really thought of twijack before but I guess it could work. Main cast ships mostly turn me off though because of what I’ve seen in the fandom over the years. Do I have a favorite? Sure but I’d gladly leave it invalidated if it meant the worst eras of the shipping wars never happened. The showrunners shouldn’t have encouraged it either.

As to the whole odd couple dynamic, its more real life rationalizing for me that they may attract but they normally don’t last that I applied to ships in the show. Its hot, its passionate, its intense going back and forth between frictious tention and intense love for one another. The brightest fires burn out early though and that’s why I don’t really go for that dynamic. If we were to make a show around a couple like that (lets say rarijack), we could have scores of episodes around them trying to get along and love each other despite their vast differences. Conflict makes content, at least from a storytelling standpoint. It, however, is terrible for an actual relationship if both sides are constantly butting heads over everything.

Unpopular opinion: the showrunners (especially the eqg staff) should have never teased main cast ships like they did. It only encouraged absolute toxicity in the worst parts of the fandom. Too many people who got way too into shipping latched on to the more than obvious bones the staff was throwing them and used it to beat others over the head with.
Latecomer

@Background Pony #563A  
Yeah I was never really into inter-Mane shipping, but that one caught me lately and won’t let me go. Partly because it does seem a lot more compatible than, say, Rarijack, despite surface differences.

And were shipping wars ever not a thing? Fans were at it long before amy canon hints.It’s just how fandom works.
Background Pony #563A
@Latecomer  
It was always a thing but there was a time when it was really bad. A lot of it revolved around Big mac, Fluttershy, Celestia and Discord for some reason. Not all of it but a lot of it.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Shipping Wars sounds like a show that should be on Discovery or History channel. Instead it’s nerds arguing about nothing on the internet. Well, better a forum than a comic shop.
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@Latecomer  
Forgettable sounds like a better term for it, pointless in a way I can see being used.

@Vivace  
As someone who watches “Ridiculousness” from time to time, I would easily see Rob Dyrdek coming up with a category like that.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide