Unpopular opinion time

Spinny
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Resident Spin Fetishist
@Jaredking203

Nah, it was definitely season 6. In season 5, Starlight didn’t really do much impressive outside of cutie-mark stealing and flying. Season 6 is what established that she was more powerful than even Twilight, and therefore was a better candidate to be the Element of Magic.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Spinny

If you’re far more impulsive, and aren’t good with the magic of friendship, you’re not that good a candidate for the Element of Magic, unless you’re gonna also tell me Sombra is automatically more qualified because he’s more powerful than Twilight on her lonesome.

also she was explicitly trying significantly harder than Twilight in ELTSD, was per her own words trying to impress her so she’d be able to skip friendship lessons, and the latter never went “wow I could never do that,” and Starlight either doesn’t have the ability to copy spells from seeing them once, or it’s notably weaker than Twilight’s capacity. Also her telekinesis is way less impressive than Twilight’s has been to the point I can’t think of her doing much of anything impressive with it, can only remember her struggling to lift Hoo’Far’s wagon for an upper level feat.
Latecomer

@AC97  
Starlight’s talent probably lies in “creativity” - doing things which normally can’t (and quite possibly shouldn’t) be done with “normal” magic. Like, say, messing with ponies cutie marks, or massively overclocking a time spell by using a sacred artefact as the anchor.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
It certainly seemed like Starlight flying wasn’t so much a feat of power as a feat of creativity. Apparently, since unicorns usually teleport, none thought to use levitation on themselves. And given Starlight’s reckless nature, she’s clearly willing to experiment with magic in ways that others wouldn’t dream of. If Twilight is a scientist, Starlight is a mad scientist.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
I think plenty of unicorns have thought of it - it’s just about as easy as lifting yourself by putting your hands under your feet. (Star Swirl can do it, but probably not as well.)

BTW, is there anywhere I can get a gauge of general fan opinion on the movie?
Sadrai

Even tho I think they should have gotten a proper punishment I do like that Snips and Snails did apologize and were willing to accept a punishment in boast busters.
Background Pony #6071
@Sadrai  
I hated those two up until the buckball ep. normally I don’t mind dumb characters but they seemed to crank it up to 11. Then the EQG movie made their human counterparts somewhat malicious and that colored my view of them. The buckball ep made me reevaluate snails and really tempered my dislike of both.

To be fair, I’m not a fan of them but I don’t like them either. I just see them as a function of the early showrunners who tended to write the male characters as somewhat lacking in one area or another like smarts in the case of these two.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Brass Beau
I think plenty of unicorns have thought of it - it’s just about as easy as lifting yourself by putting your hands under your feet. (Star Swirl can do it, but probably not as well.)

“2, 4, 6, Great” had Snails self-levitating as well.

@Latecomer  
@AC97
Starlight’s talent probably lies in “creativity” - doing things which normally can’t (and quite possibly shouldn’t) be done with “normal” magic. Like, say, messing with ponies cutie marks, or massively overclocking a time spell by using a sacred artefact as the anchor.

High-level magic in general seems to be practiced more or less scientifically (with Starswirl’s claim to fame being the discovery of a whole bunch of new spells). It’s also possible that Starlight’s skills in magical innovation came partially from Sunburst - in “The Crystalling” he came up with a solution to fix the Crystal Heart with a combination of three different spells.

@Sadrai  
Even tho I think they should have gotten a proper punishment I do like that Snips and Snails did apologize and were willing to accept a punishment in boast busters.

It was briefly mentioned that they’d be cleaning up the mess the Ursa Minor made, but I agree it might have been nice to actually see a bit of that.
Sadrai

@Background Pony #6071  
I seen dumber characters in other shows that are way worse than Snips and Snails also “I’m not a fan of them but I don’t like them” isn’t that u saying the same thing twice

@DoctorWTF  
Yeah I think people focus on the mustache thing that they forgot about there apology and that they were suppose to clean up. Your definitely right they should have showed them cleaning the mess.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Not really sure how or why they thought this reference would really… fit. I couldn’t help but laugh at it at that point, which is probably not what it was going for (especially since the context was “petrify Shining Armor right there”).

Other notable peeves with that whole thing are Sombra ROFLstomping the Princesses in an instant, and the whole minor antagonists working together, when the only one that’d remotely fit was Lightning Dust (and even then it’s questionable).

@Brass Beau

Regarding self-levitation, aside from the oft-cited S3 premiere case where she caught herself, Twilight also did it in Magical Mystery Cure, which was a probable indication she was gonna keep at doing it, were she not to get the wings shortly thereafter. I think her mother (Twilight Velvet) doing it was quite possibly a bit of a nod to MMC, come to think of it. Probably worth noting that it seems generally less second-nature than flying is for pegasi, and that it seems like ponies have basically meditated while doing it, between Star Swirl and Snails, is by implication dependent on focus/skill not to go wrong.

The artificial wings spell that appeared about twice (the one where Rainbow Dash pulled a Sonic Rainboom to save Rarity and the Wonderbolts, and in S9’s Buckball episode where you see also see Snails self-levitate, as DoctorWTF brings up) seemed to have a rather bad case of Icarus Syndrome.

@DoctorWTF

It does seem somewhat likely judging from the flashback that Sunburst gave Starlight some inspiration in regards to magic, in the past.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
  1. That’s a funny reference even if it doesn’t fit well. Kudos for reminding me of it.  
  2. The start was a bit rough but the rest worked out well in my opinion.  
  3. Maybe I’m misremembering but Twilight seemed surprised at Starlight levitating herself which left me with the impression it wasn’t a very well-known possibility.  
  4. Sunburst’s desire to create new spells and study magic, along with wanting to impress her new teacher, seems to be the driving factor in Starlight’s study of the subject. I’m not sure if she has any actual interest in magic beyond trying to use it to solve all of her problems.

@Sadrai  
    I forgot Twist was a character.
Background Pony #6071
@Sadrai  
Yeah. I meant to say while I’m not a fan of them, I don’t hate them. Their dumbness in the early seasons is still kind of annoying to me but not in the same way it used to.
Sadrai

@Brass Beau  
Which is why I prefer them over her.  
Also I feel it was mainly Boast busters that hurt them since that was the episode that introduced them but the buckball episodes did help a lot also helped they never did anything as bad and probably won’t since Snips doesn’t seem to believe everything he is told when in one episode he questioned Scootaloo parents jobs

@Applepie1973  
Great it’s always nice to find someone else who is a fan :)
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
and the whole minor antagonists working together, when the only one that’d remotely fit was Lightning Dust

That was thanks to executive mandates more than anything. IDW madated a villain team up plot while Hasbro gave a list of baddies off limits. The result was the only options available was 2 actual capital V Villains with a few minor antagonists to use.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide