Why G5 after G4 Canonically Makes No Sense

🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
Here’s a contrarian opinion on G4 to G5 continuity gaps: if the writers of FiM knew that G5 would be a far future continuation of Equestria, perhaps they would have set up their series finale differently. In both cases, MLP writers retain their contractual obligations not to talk to one another.
@Dust Rock
More like skipping ahead to Season 46, but point taken.
Dust Rock
United Equestria - For supporting the site
Nyx - For supporting the site
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Platinum Supporter - Platinum Supporter
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) -

Demonic Blood
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
Either way unless they show an explanation in the most likely upcoming series of this next generation, then fans will be upset. We can’t just gloss over the no magic situation just because it’s been solved.
Mysteries must be investigated.
Background Pony #F6F2
Let me you tell something… Nothing lasts forever. Fear, hatred, war never stop. My Little Pony: A New Generation (MLP FIM’s future) showed us that. It’s like Twilight herself said “there will always be more to do”. Sunny and her friends shall keep the mane six ideas and beliefs alive. They are Equestria’s new hope. Equestria’s sad future isn’t nonsensical, it’s realistic.
My problem here is not the simple fact that things didn’t stay perfectly peaceful forever, but how big a step backwards Equestria had taken. Pony society had regressed to an even worse state than before Equestria was founded, with Sunny and her father being the only ones to have any accurate knowledge of pony history. Realistic? Maybe. But seeing everything the Mane Six fought for go right down the toilet is still not a pleasant thing to see (plus unusually bleak for My Little Pony).
And I also thought it odd that the unicorns were still in a funk over their magic going AWOL - even foals who would never have known what it’s like to have magic.
Dust Rock
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

Demonic Blood
Let me you tell something… Nothing lasts forever. Fear, hatred, war never stop. My Little Pony: A New Generation (MLP FIM’s future) showed us that. It’s like Twilight herself said “there will always be more to do”. Sunny and her friends shall keep the mane six ideas and beliefs alive. They are Equestria’s new hope. Equestria’s sad future isn’t nonsensical, it’s realistic.
My problem here is not the simple fact that things didn’t stay perfectly peaceful forever, but how big a step backwards Equestria had taken. Pony society had regressed to an even worse state than before Equestria was founded, with Sunny and her father being the only ones to have any accurate knowledge of pony history. Realistic? Maybe. But seeing everything the Mane Six fought for go right down the toilet is still not a pleasant thing to see (plus unusually bleak for My Little Pony).
And I also thought it odd that the unicorns were still in a funk over their magic going AWOL - even foals who would never have known what it’s like to have magic.
That’s what I’ve been saying, I mean, I could see maybe Chancellor Neighsay having been able to ban creatures after changing his mind again, but Whatever force drove the three primary pony races away? Did Clover the Clever not accomplish ANYTHING?
Also how on EARTH did history get so fucked?
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

How, indeed - G4 canon shows that printing press technology is well-established in Equestria to where a small-town school newspaper has one of their own. By all logic, they should be perfectly capable of reliably preserving accurate history.
Posted Report
Dust Rock

Demonic Blood
How, indeed - G4 canon shows that printing press technology is well-established in Equestria to where a small-town school newspaper has one of their own. By all logic, they should be perfectly capable of reliably preserving accurate history.
Despite the fact I moved on from this and enjoy some G5, it STILL doesn’t make a lick of sense x.x
Posted Report
Background Pony #5F10
@DoctorWTF
Here’s hoping
My headcanon:
It starts when Twilight destroyed the windigos. It is known that the windigos had learned how to steal the ponies’ magic by draining negative emotional power and turning it into cold and ice, creating a self-destructive process that was halted with positive emotional magic generated by the ponies themselves. When Twilight destroyed them, an opening was created as the ponies started arguing with each other, letting the inner magic out to the surroundings. This could not be fixed without changing the essence of the ponies themselves.
Opaline had developed the ability or a spell that enables her to take other people’s cutie marks and thus can steal magic to keep under her control. She then began to sow discord among the ponies living in the shadow of a caste system based on magic which then created an identity conflict between the ponies based on race. This is no longer found in G5, but it was very much alive while Twilight was living with her friends. Despite everything the Mane 6 does, such underlying tendencies from very old times could not be healed in time.
Twilight realized that magic had to be brought under control, the Ponykind have become a serious threat to the world with their bickering and conflicts that might have caused non-ponies to make serious threats. Then she also had to stop magic stealing from Opaline who may become an alicorn during the turbulent times and may have tried to do something very dangerous to everyone. So she created the Unity Crystals that only the alicorns can control, likely with the non-ponies’ permission. Also, Opaline had to be stopped by taking away all her magic, since she had developed parasite-like abilities.
Opaline was defeated by Twilight who took her magic into the Unity Crystals, blocking her alicorn powers which can only be broken out with powerful magic and putting her under house arrest in chains. In the following centuries, Opaline had to spend her time in the dark castle. Twilight had undoubtedly visited her repeatedly, only to have to return each time Opaline would not allow herself to be reformed.
Meanwhile, Twilight was busy steering Equestria into better times, devoting much of her work to international affairs and developing a global society like our world after the year 1945 - but her friends died, one by one, and although new friends were made, immortality became a heavy burden for her. Possibly she had spent much of her free time studying the Unity Crystals and the magic, and may have discovered much that is not yet known. Maybe the dead heroines aren’t quite dead, at least for her.
She may have had visions of the future that she could more easily interpret unlike Celestia, and learned about the Mane 5. So she made a blanket that splits into three, gave one to Argyle’s family who may be in her circle (perhaps Luster Dawn) - and concealed the other two with her alicorn powers. She knew that her successor is on the way, thus spending the last few centuries creating a better world for everyone, ponies and non-ponies alike.
Then came the collapse of Equestria. The valley where Canterlot and Ponyville were located had been developed into a metropolis, when something completely unexpected happened; the entire Everfree forest except for the lower parts of the valley disappeared, Ponyville disappeared, and Canterlot’s surroundings collapse into ruins and remains that are covered with vegetation in later times. Canterlot came under attack, was evacuated amid chaos, and was left partly in ruins, hidden from the outside world by a sea of fog.
The magic just disappeared and general confusion reigned among the ponies who then tried to gather all the knowledge and lore they could salvage, but they may have been subjected to memory wipe which created huge gaps that are filled with false memories. Twilight disappeared. And three crystals fell to the ground from a new shooting star that the ponies focused all their attention on, before they forgot why. The whole world seemed to have collapsed, all trade ceased, the tribes split apart as they possibly accused each other of loss of magic. Non-ponies evacuated Equestria which may have been quarantined, probably on the orders of Spike among the dragons, in response to the loss of magic.
My interpretation is that the Everfree finally revealed its secrets. It was never explained why middle Equestria was a no man’s land for a long time until the ponies went there, driven from their homeland by the windigos. The Griffons owned the land, which they still did not want to exploit, and later sold it to the ponies. It could be because this was where Tambelon was located. The capital of the Dark Empire from Grogar’s time - and his home.
First Grogar destroyed the Everfree, neutralizing the Harmony tree, then he gathered his monsters from all over the world to wreak havoc and attack Canterlot where Discord met him. Grogar even without the bell was so strong, he maimed Discord and sought out Twilight who realized that the dark magic based on fear and terror was too strong for her and her friends.
Twilight fought Grogar, but realized that the ponies were too frightened and too badly in disarray for her to draw support from them, and the monster hordes were too overwhelming. The whole world was about to fall into the hands of the tyrant, Celestia and Luna may have ascended and thus cannot help, while Cadence or Fluffy Heart were too far away. All hope seems lost. But Twilight came up with the vision she had, her successor which could be the element of Hope.
So she took out the Unity Crystals, clear about the risk she was taking - and split it, thus gaining access to all magic from around the world. She could not defeat Grogar, but she could banish him and his monsters, purged Equestria of all monsters into a temporary prison (perhaps Tartarus) that Grogar will break out of sooner or later. Then she saved the Ponykind, the whole world - and bought them time for her successor to arrive.
But the price will be high. She is “banished” for her crime of sealing the magic so that Grogar cannot return, sending the world into very uncertain times. It is possible that she transformed into a star, perhaps she ascended towards her final destiny, and later let the Unity Crystals fall to the ponies, divided into three - the earth pony crystal for Argyle’s family, the unicorn crystal in Bridlewood and the pegasi crystal to the royal family of Zephyr Heights.
Grogar will break free and take over the entire world (Equus), and Twilight knowing this will happen had undoubtedly “programmed” the crystals to react to Sunny under certain criteria. She also put in a hologram that could be intelligent, because she hadn’t forgotten Opaline and the threat she represents.
Since then, she waits for Sunny to come to her, when the time for the showdown with Grogar comes. Meanwhile, Opaline will fight with Sunny, test the new alicorn who will then learn how to use her powers and reunite Equestria as well as contact the rest of the world to restore what was lost. With the return of magic, Grogar can break out, but Twilight had bought valuable time for the New Mane 6 and their friends to be ready for the worst and most dangerous enemy in history. Twilight will then disappear, let Sunny take the lead.
Posted Report
Dust Rock

Demonic Blood
These are a lot of assumptions that I doubt the show will be able to deliver. If they do, it’ll be in idw form which sadly not a lot of people read.
Posted Report
Background Pony #5F10
These are a lot of assumptions that I doubt the show will be able to deliver. If they do, it’ll be in idw form which sadly not a lot of people read.
That’s what we hope. We never learned what elements the Mane 5 have, but Sunny could be the element of Hope. The one who defeated Grogar last time, Gusty the Great, may have been the element of Courage, as it may be her courage that freed the world from Grogar that time. If Grogar is the end boss of G5 and responsible for Equestria’s collapse, this is a worthy end to the whole saga of the G4 world.
Because I don’t think G6 in the 2030s will take place in the same world as G4.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide