General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #FF31
>REMINDER: Images Made by the Original Artist are NOT to be Tagged “Edit”  
Why is Evomanaphy allowed to break this rule and tag their alternate versions with edit instead of alternate version? There are tons of artists who are marked “No Edits” and do not have this special allowance.
Tide Hunter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Tag the genders
This artist is on the Do-Not-Post List with the following restrictions:
• No Edits The artist periodically makes variants of their work that they tag as “Edit” — this is not the normal use of this tag on the site, so if something is tagged “Edit” verify that the artist made it themselves (ex: it is on their Tumblr).

It seems that the listed restriction states that, because Evomanaphy has a habit of breaking the rule, people who see their art ought to check Evo’s stuff off-site to see if it is actually an edit and, if it’s not, change the tag to alternate version. The overall “DNP” statement on Evo’s artist tag says “No Edits”.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #99AB  
How about instead of assuming someone is breaking rules maybe assume they don’t know the proper conventions for tagging alternate versions. I have seen multiple artists/uploaders not know this fact and I don’t see you going after them.
Background Pony #FF31
@LightningBolt  
I’m “going after them” because the DNP statement specifically says  
The artist periodically makes variants of their work that they tag as "Edit" — this is not the normal use of this tag on the site, so if something is tagged "Edit" verify that the artist made it themselves (ex: it is on their Tumblr)  
That implies the staff knows they do this and willingly tolerates them using the tag incorrectly.
Background Pony #FF31
@LightningBolt  
Christ, I’m sorry I struck a nerve.  
Look, I’m trying to say the DNP statement seems to directly imply that it’s allowed. If the note is actually supposed to mean that it’s wrong and needs to be corrected if it happens, that should be clarified to avoid confusion.  
Before this conversation, if I saw a new drawing from Evomanaphy and they tagged it edit, per the DNP note, I would believe she has been expressly allowed to do that and let it stand, despite that tag usage being incorrect.
Tide Hunter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Tag the genders
@Background Pony #99AB  
From my perspective, the DNP statement, which literally says “no edits” and that you should check if something is actually made by the artist if they upload it with the edit tag, is stating that the polar opposite of what you’re claiming.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Would it be worth making aj -> applejack, rd -> rainbow dash type tags for their older versions, so oaj or older aj -> older applejack, ord or older rd -> older rainbow dash, et. al?
Background Pony #BD88
@Binkyt11  
I’m not sure about that. Does hilarious in hindsight really cover old pictures of Applejack declaring “My parents are dead” or old pre-season 9 pictures of cheesepie and lyrabon? No really, I’m curious. I get the rationale, but that seems like tagging that stuff would really jam up that particular tag. There’s a lot more there, but those are the ones that have me raising an eyebrow.

Also, this is the sort of thing reports are for, not the forums.
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
@Markiz93  
Hmm. A lot of the images under duck pony seem to be what behaving like a duck seems to cover… which might be fine, but if so they don’t strictly need to be distinct tags, and duck pony shouldn’t be brown. That said, “duck pony” sounds a lot more like species tag than a “behavior” tag, so I feel that a lot of what’s under it right now might be best retagged under behaving like a duck.

Overall, I think duck pony may be trying to cover three things at once – pony/duck hybrids, ponies colored like ducks and regular ponies whose legs aren’t visible. I’m not personally familiar with the tag, so I can’t tell how this works out for people who use it more habitually, but might this be a bit confusing? I suppose that situations where a pony is deliberately drawn to be evocative a bird swimming in the water (which there seems to be a lot of) probably fit the spirit of tag, but I don’t think it should be tagged on every image where a pony character’s legs just happen to be hidden.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide