General Tag Discussion

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Algebroot Neogears  
It’s not ‘ignoring’ it’s about how much of a monumental pain tagging g4 would be on over 2 million images and getting everyone to tag it flawlessly AND probably making thousands of tags imply it.

Do you understand how much of an undertaking this would be? There is more important matters.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@LightningBolt  
On the users’ individual end, is it okay to tag our own (relevant) uploads with G4? It’s a drop in an ocean but it’s something.

On that matter, would fanworks like fallout equestria count as G4?

(Watch out users, following links lead to spoilers since browsing a spoiler tag automatically disables the picture hider, even on Default filters.)

So I’m curious about the difference between my little pony: a new generation and spoiler:my little pony: a new generation. From my understanding, the spoiler one is about screencaps, camrips, promotional material from G5, etc. Official stuff. While the yellow tag is about fanart of G5, provided there’s nothing official in it.

I’m asking because, if I understood right, there’s a lot of fanart under spoiler:my little pony: a new generation. Or are we supposed to tag G5 fanart with the spoiler tag along with the normal one?
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

I think it’s still generally assumed that the site is here primarily for Friendship Is Magic; we’ll probably need to wait for G6 to come out before it’s really necessary to specify G4 on images.
Background Pony #52BA
@Roseluck, @LightningBolt, @TexasUberAlles  
FWIW I’ve been tagging “g4” on images that have both g5 content and g4 characters that are present in a manner consistent with g4 such that you might be able to describe it as a crossover, ie. as living characters in their original context, not as toys/figurines/plushies/speculative scenarios where they survived into the setting of g5.

@Roseluck, @Roseluck, @TexasUberAlles  
Well, in the strictest of outlooks, until the statute of limitations for spoilering the movie expires, the mere existence of the characters may count as a spoiler, since it depends on whether someone considers toys, books, and trailers to be “releases”…

More confusing to me is the separation of spoiler:g5 from spoiler:my little pony: a new generation - has there yet been anything that’s g5 that isn’t connected to the movie?
eqq_scremble
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Applecord man
Soo does anyone have a proper way to differenciate the “motivational” and “mouthpiece” tags?

Cus a whole lot of the typical “mouthpiece” stuff is just motivational content for Queer folk or feminist stuff… am I dense or ?
Deserter
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

This cykas my blyats
@eqq_scremble  
Well, “motivational” usually refers to the stuff that encourage or give psychological support to the viewer, while “mouthpiece” usually refers to stuff that encourages you to weld the doors shut and burn the house down of someone who said a bad word on Twitter 13 years ago.

Essentially, “mouthpiece” refers to stuff that uses a character from the show to parrot an opinion the artist who drew it has, regardless of whether or not the character would have that opinion in canon or not.
Wax n' Wane
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Spelunker Extraordinare
Hey, 1st time in the forums here.

Is there a difference between “blep” and “mlem”? I noticed that quite a few images with “tongue out” could fall under either, but I really don’t know how to differentiate the two apart.
eqq_scremble
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Applecord man
@Deserter

Hm I see, then by that definition I suppose there is a whole lot of mistagging happening.  
Since sentiments like “there is no right way to be a girl” “stimming is fun” and “Gay/Trans rights” are all encouraging and/or giving psychological support to viewers but are tagged as “mouthpiece”!

Maybe motivational should get a matching tag description too so it’s less confusing in the future.
TexasUberAlles
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

@Wax n’ Wane  
Blep is just the tongue hanging out, mlem is an active licking-the-air motion; for tagging purposes the site aliases both to tongue out, which I very strongly disagree with because they are definitely not the same thing.

@eqq_scremble  
It’s supposed to mean “a character expressing the opinions of the uploader, which are counter to the opinions that character is likely to express in canon”, but in actual practice, mouthpiece almost always translates to “a bigoted troglodyte douchebag user got super butthurt that someone dared to upload an image which in any way supports equality or human rights or LGBT people in general”. A casual glance at the tag change pages makes it pretty obvious that certain users with certain ~~opinions~~ about race and gender and religion are the ones most often adding it.
Wax n' Wane
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Spelunker Extraordinare
I figured as much. Though, when I’m bored enough, I’m thinking of sifting through the tongue out tag to mark things as mlem or blep, when appropriate.
TexasUberAlles

@Wax n’ Wane  
That would just be a waste of your time and wouldn’t help the issue; adding either tag automatically aliases to tongue out, as does :p.

@LightningBolt  
Show me the lie. It’s a tag which serves a valid purpose, along with politics, but is primarily used as weaponized opinionating by users with a very long history of shitty bigotry.
Background Pony #52BA
@Wax n’ Wane  
In certain internet spaces (primarily with animal photos), blep describes a tongue tip just barely past the lips and mlem is for licking.

On Derpibooru, blep does not exist as a tag because it is aliased to :p, meaning any time someone puts the tag “blep” on an image, it gets automatically replaced by “:p”.  
The description for mlem narrows it to “the sound of/Onomatopoeia for sticking one’s tongue out” and so my interpretation is that it should only be present on images with that word written on it, or webms with someone saying it in the audio.  

Almost nobody seems to be adhering to that…

@TexasUberAlles  
Only blep is aliased and it’s aliased to :p

@eqq_scremble, @Deserter, @eqq_scremble  
There’s also positive ponies which seems to have a lot of overlap with motivational, though if it really matters, I’d say “positive ponies” would cover feel-good messages that don’t necessarily have to do with any action, eg. “you’re a good person” vs. “you can do it”

“Mouthpiece”, as mentioned, is when an unrelated character (eg. one from the show, or a non-‘sona OC) is expressing, or featured along with the promotion of, the author/artist’s viewpoint or opinion. Often this will be about a relatively narrow IRL topic (eg. mental health, personal rights, etc.) In my opinion, whether the sentiment could plausibly be “in character” is unimportant compared to the notion that it’s propaganda-esque.  
[edit] and there’s no reason there can’t be BOTH “motivational” and “mouthpiece” on a post.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@LightningBolt  
@TexasUberAlles  
@Background Pony #52BA  
Thanks for the answers.

More confusing to me is the separation of spoiler:g5 from spoiler:my little pony: a new generation - has there yet been anything that’s g5 that isn’t connected to the movie?

I assume it’s simply there in preparation of the next content. Why wait until the special(s) or show are out before including spoiler:g5?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide