Sirens and tagging them

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Okay there seems to be some confusion on how siren should be tagged here, and I often see people add them to unapplying images and removing them from those that do apply, so, let’s make some things clear.

Undeniably, these are all sirens, no one would debate they aren’t, and the tag applies to them 100%. It also applies to redesigns of sirens that follow the same beats, like the few below.  

Now for the tricky part, are these sirens?  

If you looked at their tags, you’ll see that they are tagged half-siren and not siren, the other half is pony, this is for more pony-looking sirens with four legs and a fish tail, kind of like shark ponies I suppose. Good for offspring, hybrids, and just more pony-like variations.

Now for the tricky part, are these sirens?  
>>  
They are currently tagged as such, so are they? They don’t look much like them, but are meant to be, and have some design elements that hint at it, notably fin ears, eyes, and fangs. But half-sirens look more like sirens than these. Maybe a half-siren (EQG) tag would be better?

What about these?  

The first one is tagged siren, but the latter two are tagged mermaid instead and used to be tagged siren. Does mermaid apply to the latter two better? Or should it be siren instead, or in addition to, for those?

And for one last tag, disguised siren.  

A character who is naturally a siren, but is currently seen in a different form. This tag would theoretically apply to any depiction of a siren character in a different shape from, well, being a siren.

So, the siren tag is a bit of a mess, and tags connected to it a bit of a mess as well.

As a bonus, a siren, a sea pony, and a seapony.  
Napsack
Typically turned to the funny pages - For Patreon supporters
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

why
Oh boy, is this one very specific topic.

They are currently tagged as such, so are they? They don’t look much like them, but are meant to be, and have some design elements that hint at it, notably fin ears, eyes, and fangs. But half-sirens look more like sirens than these. Maybe a half-siren (EQG) tag would be better?

How about eqg-ified siren or humanized siren? That seems to be what they’re trying to be, and it’s probably a little less confusing that calling them half-sirens. Though that may conflict with disguised siren… there is a subtle difference, but they’re also pretty much the same thing.

The first one is tagged siren, but the latter two are tagged mermaid instead and used to be tagged siren. Does mermaid apply to the latter two better? Or should it be siren instead, or in addition to, for those?

I think mermaid and siren both apply to those last two, at least in the classical Greek sense. Maybe mermaid siren/mermaid-ized siren/siren mermaid would work?

The first image I think would fit under the eqg-ified siren tag I suggested above, I think. They’re just a bit more monstrous than usual.

A character who is naturally a siren, but is currently seen in a different form. This tag would theoretically apply to any depiction of a siren character in a different shape from, well, being a siren.

Does this mean we need to apply that to every image of the Dazzlings on the site? That’d be awkward, though honestly quite fitting.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Oh boy, is this one very specific topic.

And one I am very passionate about.

How about eqg-ified siren or humanized siren? That seems to be what they’re trying to be, and it’s probably a little less confusing that calling them half-sirens. Though that may conflict with disguised siren… there is a subtle difference, but they’re also pretty much the same thing.

Equestria Girls-ified siren or humanized siren are not bad names imo. A tad long but, eh.

I think mermaid and siren both apply to those last two, at least in the classical Greek sense. Maybe mermaid siren/mermaid-ized siren/siren mermaid would work?
The first image I think would fit under the eqg-ified siren tag I suggested above, I think. They’re just a bit more monstrous than usual.

I agree on mermaid and siren both on the ones that are just really just that. Maybe siren (mermaid) but that’s a bit silly.

Does this mean we need to apply that to every image of the Dazzlings on the site? That’d be awkward, though honestly quite fitting.

By definition, yes, tho I don’t tink it needs to be added, it’s just a nice bonus. As long as them being depicted as plain humans/ponies are not tagged with siren anymore to the point I have to fix it every other day, it’s better.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
i’m simply in favor of having different tags for things that are drastically different in design and appearance, even if they are “the same”. even if these are all sirens, these should have different tags since they’re as different as night and day:  
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@LightningBolt  
i mean in a generalized sense that should be the policy. tags are first and foremost meant to find and hide content, after all.

a big one, for example, that i really need to fix is a couple of people keep tagging king sombra and other random pictures as “umbrum”. i understand he is in one of the comics, but between that and it being tagged for no reason on some images of clouds it has rendered the tag completely useless for searching OR filtering purposes. i keep meaning to sit down and do something about it, but i honestly don’t give enough of a fuck right now. this should be tagged as “umbrum”, while this random picture of celestia and luna should not be.
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME

will return
@LightningBolt  
this should be tagged as an umbrum:  

that is what anyone searching for umbrum is looking for, and that is what anyone filtering umbrum is trying to hide. the fact that sombra “is” an umbrum is immaterial when he looks and acts like a unicorn, and anyone searching or filtering him would use “king sombra” instead. if there was more pony-looking ones i’d apply “disguised umbrum” or something.
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
i’m simply in favor of having different tags for things that are drastically different in design and appearance, even if they are “the same”. even if these are all sirens, these should have different tags since they’re as different as night and day:

Seconded. In-universe classification aside, lumping a bunch of very visually different things under the same tag does not a useful tag make.

Personally, I’d be in favor of making a split between siren (as in the first two rows in the OP), half-siren (third row), eg-ified siren/humanized siren (fourth) and ponified siren. disguised siren could be something to add to the last two groups if the character is intended to be, well, a disguised regular siren instead of a “true” humanization or ponification. The thing with eg-ified siren and humanized siren would be that given the current policy re: Euqestria Girls and the human tag I feel that they’d probably need to be separate tags.

@DanielTepesKraus  
Yeah, umbrum could stand some cleaning. I agree that most pictures of Sombra shouldn’t be tagged as such unless they’re actually showing him as an umbrum in some specific sense – like here or here.

I don’t even understand why the Luna and Celestia picture got tagged with umbrum, honestly.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide