Chronicles of The Event Project (Working Title): Diaries of Countess Sweet Bun, NLR.

CountDerpy
Countess Sweet Bun - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

NLR's Mom
Hello everyone!
This is where I will be posting my works for the Chronicles Project I’m working hard to put together over the coming weeks. These will be following the Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Canterlot Royal Baker turned Pacifist in the name of Harmony during “The Event”.
This initial post is of the first entry in the series with hopes to updated it regularly when I have the free time. Hope you all enjoy!
Edit: This is just my head-canon as to how I viewed the event in the context of an Equestria locked in a week long war between the sister’s opposing forces. Every story of this event, no matter how differing in event and telling, are valid and welcome in the Chronicle.
Note: Any OCs mentioned in these works belong to their creators and will be credited. Any OC mentioned can and will be removed at the request of the owner as soon as possible and those sections of story reworked.
First Entry
War.
That was the talk among some of the ranks of the Night Guard outside of Princess Luna’s chambers this evening. My delivery of her Highness’ evening spread, a collection of fresh fruits from the palace gardens and my own personal brand of baked delights, had gone about as normal as ever. A bow of courtesy, a few jokes cracked with her sly smile giving reserved chuckles in lieu of uproarious laughter, and a parting of ways. I never really cared too much for the talk among the ranks, even when I wore the armor of the Guard I found it to be not of my liking. Especially when they talked down about Celestia.
But a talk of war? Where could they have heard that I wonder. Sure, some of them were a bit too eager to talk down about the Day Guard, and even some dreamt of a day when the Night would rule all. That was always just talk, fleeting hearsay at it’s worst. This time there was something in their tone that did not sit right with me. It wasn’t the normal tomfoolery and hoof bumps, it was in hushed whispers and with a darker bite to their words. Another cell had gone rogue maybe? It wasn’t uncommon but rarely resulted in more than swift quelling and fair justice. This just felt wrong to hear, like there was some truth in their words.
But there can’t be truth in it, right? Why would war even be a question? Equestria has stood in peace for quite some time and nary a threat had shown it’s head in several years. The Crystal Kingdom was in good spirits as well if Cadance’s words were to be believed the last time we spoke, and they always are. Even Ponyville, that cursed little town that saw disasters on almost a weekly basis, had stood quiet for the last 5 or so years. So why the sudden talk of war and bloodshed?
I think it is best not to think of it for now, likely nothing will ever come of hushed rumors spoken by guards who haven’t seen action in years. Poor things must be itching to pull the trigger of a gun once more or to charge headlong with spears into enemy hordes. It puts a sour taste in my mouth just to think of something so atrocious.
For now, my leather bound friend, it’s time to think of happier times today. Celestia really wants to try that special muffin recipe she has been keeping secret from me for weeks. Maybe tomorrow will be the day I convince her to hoof it over. Maybe a bit of poison joke in mix at the next Royal Court meeting will be fitting if she doesn’t.
  • The Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Canterlot Royal Baker. Entry 164. Two Days Before The War.
CountDerpy
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry Two (165)
I hate having to go to these accursed meetings with other nobles.
For starters, they are beyond boring, always going on about trade routes and trying to muscle their way into every circle they can find for a shred of political power. I don’t even get why I’m required to show up, other than the title Luna bestowed upon me. I didn’t really want to be a Countess, and at first I thought it was a joke. Luna, bless her heart, loves to make jokes about using her royal authority for silly things. I think it’s mainly to get on her sister’s nerve with bogus paperwork. Yet not three days later the Combined Color Guard came to my door, royal decree giving me the title in hoof. It was a bit embarrassing to be quite honest, having a Full Color Salute in the middle of my bakery.
Something troubles me about this meeting. Luna is usually distant and distracted, caring about the petty squabbles as much as I do but she makes an effort to show up. This evening she never appeared, Celestia walking to her throne at the head of the Hall of Voices alone. No announcement that she was sick or away on some royal duties in a foreign land, just a brief “My sister shall not be joining us this evening.” Celestia maybe had a faint look of concern over her own announcement but she just went on, business as usual.
Maybe I can talk to Luna after the meeting, she said last night that she wanted a fairly healthy course of my highest quality pastries for a long night ahead. I hope whatever it is that she has going on it is not weighing on her too heavily. We’ll have to see once I get to her chambers.
Great, some noble is accusing me of draining the Royal Cake funds by overcharging, again. Just another headache.
-The Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 165. 16 Hours Before The War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry Three (166)
I’m concerned for Luna’s wellbeing.
This is the first time in my short 4 years as the royal baker that she outright refused my nightly delivery. She wasn’t sick, or at least she didn’t look that way. Normally when she lets me into the chambers it’s with a greeting in that strange way she loves to speak, but tonight she looked at me with serious eyes and spoke to me in a tone that sent a shiver across my spine
“I ask thou to leave me for this evening. We will not be requiring your services this night, Countess. Please go home and rest well, and I pray for your safety.”
She looked angry, upset, and a touch fearful. While she was nothing more than soft and stern with me, I could feel the weight of whatever was pressing upon her mind bearing it’s brunt on each carefully placed word. But even now I can’t really understand what she meant. Praying for my safety? Am I not safe? I don’t feel like I’m in any sort of danger or risk. I have a good job, my home is well secured in the Royal Quarters. If there was any sort of risk, the guards would deal with it before it would even reach my doorstep.
Does she know something is about to happen? What could be so concerning to her that she would need to war-
The entry cuts short in a scrawling line of ink
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 166. Hour 0 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry Four (167)
Fear has gripped me. Right now I even struggle to hold the pen to the page without my hoof shaking. I can’t believe this is happening, my mind cannot process what’s going on in any rational way. I’m lucky enough to be sitting here in the basement of the bakery unharmed. The sirens are blaring, it stings my ears with every pass and takes my already shallow breath away. I know what they mean, I heard them only once in my childhood long ago and they have been silent ever since.
Canterlot is under attack.
I’ve been watching the streets from the slit window in the basement for about two hours now. Something happened at the castle, but I’m not sure what. A sizable chunk of the North Wing has collapsed. No, exploded is more accurate, a chunk of marble pylon is currently embedded halfway through my bedroom wall. The streets are flooded with creatures of all kinds, running and screaming and gawking at the chaos. The Solar Guard are out in force unlike I’ve ever seen, orders to evacuate to shelter barely cutting their way through the sirens.
My mind is too focused on the smoke rising from the North Wing. Celestia’s chambers are up on the highest point of the tower, the same place where the smoke billows from. I can’t fathom the worst in this, Celestia is strong and brilliant. Certainly no attempted assassination or coup could touch her. The worst feeling is the knotting in my stomach at the lines connecting in my head. Canterlot Castle is an impenetrable fortress at it’s best, security spells and enchantments everywhere. Only someone who knew what to look for, what to bypass or even what checkpoints to cross could get anywhere near those chamber doors.
Luna is the only word coming to my mind. Was this the war the Night Guard have been talking about in hushed whispers? Was this what she meant when she said she would pray for me? Hoping I would somehow make it out of an attack of her making? It just cannot be possible. Luna would never do that, not again. How could she even think about hurting her sister again. Or was she trying to do worse? No, no it has to be something else. Some force that is stronger than the enchantments of the best mages in the land, no spell is truly impenetrable. Something else, something extremely powerful has to be causing this. I cannot accept the signs pointing to Luna, I just can’t accept the mare I gave my life to in service doing something like this.
It’s the only possibility that makes sense. I cannot reason with myself why I can’t accept that possibility.
And yet the moon has not risen tonight.
It’s not safe to go out yet, but I need to figure out why. I need to make sure Celestia and Luna are okay. They are friends to me as much as they are my rulers, even if my retired armor upstairs shines with the pale blues of the Night. I’ll probably go out after I finish writing this, it’s a stupid idea but maybe one of the Solar Guard knows what’s happening and can clarify this, ease my mind a bit.
If I do not return, I pray to whoever finds this that Equestria is still standing and that my friends are okay.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 167. Hour 2 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry Five (168)
My worst fears turned out to be true. Forgive me, little book, if my words and thoughts are scattered, but things are weighing on me heavily now.
I never worked up the courage to leave the basement, not until the sirens ended anyways. I was too busy running through the horrid thoughts in my head over and over, too paralyzed in disbelief to move. I never made it out to track down a guard to find out what madness was going on, and as fate would have it I didn’t need to. The Guard came to me.
Two of them, I recognized them as recruitment officers, came to my door at the first peak of light above the horizon. They had left behind the usual dress uniform, adorned head to hoof in shining gold armor, engraved with protective runes that put off the faintest of pale yellow hazes. Armor made for protection against powerful weaponry. They only said one thing to me before handing me a hastily written roll of parchment.
“Equestria requires your services. Report to Canterlot Castle within the next two hours. May the Sun guide you.” With that they left, I was stunned. There had never been a draft in the current history of Equestria. Names were kept on the rolls for obvious reasons, but it had never been used. It was the scroll that fully solidified that the fears I had held this night were true.
On This, the First Day of the Fourth Month, Year of XXXX.
Countess Sweet Bun, having served honorably in the Equestrian Military, who has taken an Oath of Loyalty and Honor to Princess Celestia in your capacity as a noble, are required to report to Canterlot Castle for assignment into the 1st Equestrian Army. Failure to appear within two hours of this notice shall constitute an act of High Treason.
May the Sun Guide You.
It was the lack of a mention of Princess Luna that sealed the truth that she was behind the attacks in some capacity. My Oath had not been to Celestia alone as the letter made it out to be, I had been a Night Guardsmare after all. No, it had been to the Sisters and to Equestria, I did not want to make the distinction against two of the creatures I respected the most. But a declaration of war, handed to me in the form of this damnable draft letter, without a mention of Luna made the thoughts ring with the horror I had been imagining for hours now.
I have to go, but I’m not leaving you behind again friend. Wherever this ends up leading, I need some way to vent.
I need to speak with Celestia, which could prove difficult in the current state of affairs. I hate the thought of having to use my noble standing to muscle my way into a meeting but it may be my only choice. Even if it means risking treason.
But it’s clear now, Equestria is at war with itself in a way that has not been seen for over a thousand years. And that thought is the worst one in all of this.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 168. Hour 7 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry Six (169)
Metioned in this entry: Red Flux, Grey the First and Toastypk (Lightpoint)
Note: For OC names not given, Usernames are used. If I got a character wrong, you wish anything removed or pronouns corrected please let me know and I will do so right away. Inclusions of characters and users are not meant to do anything other but show respect and reverence to them in these stories.
This wait is killing me.
How do you prepare yourself to talk to the ruler of an entire nation during the height of a war preparation? Everycreature is so on edge right now, or at least they would be if most of them hadn’t seemed more excited than they had ever been.
The halls are brimming with activity. Letters fly by at light speed, soliders in full armor run aound like children ready for a day of play. Some are polishing their weapons, repairing guns or practicing defensive spells. Even the commanders are out in force.
Red Flux is looking as menacing as ever. Even back in my guard days they were known as quite the force, a being of sheer will and focus unmatched by any in the Guard. I fear them, but I respect them greatly for their service. The Red General, a name I gave them as a play on the Night Guard’s name of Red Menace, was less of a sign of respect now but more of a truth.
Grey was also running about. They are one of the most trusted of Celestia’s Advisory Council, practically nobility in function without the title to force them to actually deal with the rest of the nobility. I had talked to them several times during functions I catered and just around the palace on my various trips through the halls. They were a good soul, well spoken and thoughtful. Seeing them in a panicked state is upsetting, a smile better suits someone like them. I wonder how Lightpoint is doing as well, poor stallion must have his mind racing a million miles a second trying to sort through this mess. At least I know Celestia is well and safe with folks like them around.
Getting an audience with the Princess in this state took about as much effort as I expected, I wasn’t the only other noble trying to speak with her. Luckily, while my title doesn’t carry weight with it enough to supercede military protections, Celestia’s appetite for sweets is a much better way through. I made sure to bring a box of muffins and a small cake with me when I left the bakery, now it’s just the waiting game.
I can hear the various Guards talking about the attack. A small group of Night Guards had broken through the enchantments guarding Celestia by force and stormed her chambers. Two of her personal guards had been killed in the small skirmish. In the hours since then, most of the Night Guard had vanished, Princess Luna was nowhere to be seen as well. The ones who hadn’t fled were captured and taken to the dungeons.
If they knew I had served under Luna, would they lock me away as well? Would they even let me see Celestia? My loyalties lie in both, but when I can hear them talk about my bretheren as traitors who should be captured or worse, my breath catches. I know most of these creatures roaming the halls, at least in passing. Would they kill me? Would Grey, the wonderous soul they are, call me a traitor as well?
In a way they aren’t wrong. The risk to my life with that knowledge over my head is too large for me to ignore. I had intended originally to just speak with her as a friend, make sure she was safe and contest the invocation of my oath. Now another path is in my mind. I need to find Luna, try to talk her out of whatever madness has her in it’s grips. But to do so I will have to do something very few had ever dared to try with the Royals, not even Princess Twilight would do so lightly.
I needed to break my oath to Celestia. I need to tell her no.
May the Sisters have mercy on my soul.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 169. Hour 9 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry Seven (170)
Celestia is a mare I have looked up to as an equal to her sister, as a brilliant and kind ruler, and as a close and true friend over the years. I could never wish to hurt her even in my darkest of nightmares. Yet today I have.
Forgive me if I wax poetically this time. I feel like I will have a lot of empty time on my hooves for the foreseeable future.
The Hall of Storied Glass had been turned from a tranquil stretch of marble leading to the thrones into a sort of impromptu situation room. Generals barked their words of troop deployment and strategies to one another, advisors scrambled to comb through every form of legal documentation and triple checking it all. At the head of it all, Celestia sat silently upon the throne. Gone was the royal regalia that glinted softly in the fair sunlight, in it’s place was golden armor turning every bit of light into a dazzling sunbeam. The only thing darkening it was her face. No smile, none of the softness I had experienced from her even in her frustrations. It was stern, sharp and pained.
I had been led to the throne by two guards, helping to part the sea of frantic activity. I was expecting some sort of reaction to my arrival, a friendly smile at least no matter how small it may have been.
“Speak, Countess. As you can see, the situation is quite dire at the moment and my time to talk is short.”
I could tell she didn’t intend for it to be said harshly, but the gravity of the situation required it of her. I passed along my offering of sweets to her, and she graciously accepted it with the same stern look never leaving her face.
I had to steady myself. I could feel the tears, the very embodiment of the pain in my soul for what I was about to do, welling up at the corners of my eyes. I did my best to fight them down, I knew at the time it was better to keep a brave and calm face in a room of soon to be enemies in name alone. And so I spoke, the words still clear as day in my head now as they were then.
“I have come before you to renounce my Oath of Loyalty to the Throne of the Sun.”
You could hear a pin drop in the silence that followed. I could feel every eye in the room drilling into me in shock and hate, as if I had stepped up to the throne and slapped her across the face. Even her stern expression faltered for a fleeting moment.
I steeled myself as I spoke on, ready at any moment for one of the guards to tackle me to the ground or place a blade to my neck. I made my words clear and concise, no one else in the room would care to hear about my worries for Luna so I left emotion out of it. I spoke of how my years of service to the Night would not allow me to fight for the Day, how my loyalty will always reside in Luna alone until the bitter end, and asked for forgiveness. All of it lies under a thin veneer of truth.
“Is this how you truly feel?” She asked. I just gave her a nod in reply, though it too was a lie. I could see something behind her eyes in that moment, they looked hurt and angry at my words, but it was the understanding behind them that stood out.
The room erupted into calls for my head, for being a traitor and having the gall to say it to the Princess’ face. Some even moved to draw their weapons before a voice that could shake mountains drowned them all out in a call for silence.
“Your words have been heard, Sweet Bun. I thank you for being forthcoming.” I watched her steady her breath, but it came out in a shudder of sadness. “The crime for them, however, cannot be changed. High Treason to the Throne. Guards, remand her to a cell in the dungeons. I will speak to her personally when a sentence has been decided. No word of this shall be spoken outside this Hall.”
And that’s how we wound up here, little book. Hooves and wings bound in iron cuffs and chains, I’m lucky to have enough freedom of movement to even write. The guards sneer at me and throw around terrible terrible names in my direction as they make their rounds. They don’t phase me, really. No, the pain I undoubtedly caused Celestia is what is eating at me like a carnivorous Parasprite.
I wasn’t lying when I considered her a friend. There had been many afternoons where we would talk while she tried out a new tea cake she requested. We shared stories, complained about the annoyances of nobility, and talked long about life in our humble nation. All it took to ruin it was a handful of words spoken at one of the toughest moments of her life, giving my loyalty to the sister that had by all accounts tried to have her killed.
I feel terrible about it, god awful. I can barely write without having to turn my eyes away from the page to keep the tears from staining it. Hurting a friend is never a good thing, even if in my heart it truly felt like the right thing to do. Luna needs me just as much if not more than Celestia does right now, she needs a friend to cut through all this madness. As much as I would cherish standing by Celestia’s side, the lengths that Luna went to to help me in the darkest moments of my life was the end of the discussion. She was there for me then, I needed to be there for her now.
It’s been hours now. I do not know when or if Celestia will come, I would not fault her for not coming to hand the news of my long term imprisonment or execution in person. If she does, I hope I get the chance to explain myself in a way I couldn’t around the noise of a war room. To truly apologize for the words I spoke.
I pray she will hear me out.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 170. Hour 13 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Update: Probably going to simultaneously upload future diary entries in a story on FimFiction. This is very likely to go into the multiple thousands of words long by the end, and I want to have a place to continue with this if mods decide the word count becomes too much for the thread even if that’s unlikely.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry Eight (171)
I do not have much time, things are happening so quickly I can barely process them. Just a quick entry in case I do not reach my destination.
I’ve been flying for 4 hours now as fast as I can. Celestia herself let me out of the dungeons, told me to flee Canterlot as quickly as I could. I’ll have more time to explain when I reach my destination.
I’m heading to the Everfree Forest near Ponyville, I assume that’s where the rest of the Night Guard has fled too, and hopefully Luna herself.
Celestia declared a state of martial law under the old banner of the ancient Solar Empire. The streets and skies will soon be flooded with soldiers, I have to keep moving. 27 miles down and another 56 to go before I reach the Everfree, who knows how many more searching for signs of life.
If I happen to lose my life during this escape, please bury me somewhere warm and give this journal to Celestia.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 171. Hour 19 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry 9 (172)
Rain is a welcome sound. As much as I love a bright sunny day or a calm night, the rain brings it’s own sense of calm. I can hear it beating down on the thatched roof above my head as I write.
I managed to make the flight In record time, though I suspect I will be feeling it in the morning. 83 very long and draining miles through clear skies and fair winds. If it had been any other time I may have enjoyed a trip like that, taking my time to see the sights along the way. Too dangerous and not important now.
My guess about a gathering point in the forest was a correct assumption, and I’d managed to find the gathering Night Guard forces much faster than I had anticipated at a ruined town in the depths of the sea of trees maybe 12 miles in. Spotting lights moving in the near total darkness of the forest floor was rather easy after all. As well as the ruins of an old castle being fortified in record time.
The medical encampment gladly took me in after the journey, any suspicion of me halted by my old Guard ranks I had brought along. I’ve been resting here ever since, my wings on ice to prevent them from locking up as much as possible by morning and salves for the windburn reaching beneath the feathers.
I had been questioned by a couple of the commanding officers about my late arrival. I told them only a half truth, Celestia had me locked up for being a traitor and I managed to escape during a riot in the dungeons.In truth, as I have written before, Celestia herself let me go.
She had come to talk with me a few hours after I had been locked away. Her face had lost all the harshness she had worn like a mask in the throne room. It had taken some convincing to have the visit be private, her guard being reluctant to let her out of sight for even a second. When they did finally relent and leave, I nearly broke down in sobs as I hugged her, begging and pleading for her to forgive me for my words. Not the cries of a convict asking for leniency but of a friend making up for wrongdoings.
She forgave me almost instantly, suspecting that I hadn’t been truly forthcoming with my act upstairs. It still took me nearly 20 minutes to finally calm down. We talked for a while afterwards. I told her of my fears, my concerns for Luna and her wellbeing, the thoughts in my head that meant doing what I had too in the presence of all the others. She spoke to me of her own fears of the same, that the Nightmare could be influencing her once again. She was shaking at the thought of having to do something like that to her sister once more if it came to it, but she had to fight on to protect the nation from whatever was about to happen.
“Even if it means having to strike down my flesh and blood once more under the old flags of division.”
I don’t feel comfortable mentioning more than that, even in something as private as you, little book. Somethings deserve never to be spoken of again, like the two friends pouring their hearts out to each other.
Things happened quickly after that. She passed along to me an enchanted bag that could hold many times it’s space in items, broke the cuffs binding me and the barred window that let in nothing but the smallest of breezes. She asked me to flee, find Luna, make sure she was alright, send word when it was safe to do so. She would make it look like I had escaped by surprise, we were both unsure if it would be believable to the guards.
“Uphold the Oath of Loyalty and Honor you took, if not that then do this for me my friend. Make sure Luna is safe.”
So I fled with her words in mind, stopping by the bakery just to grab the essentials. My old ranks and rapier, a few books on medicinal herbs and first aid, recipes collected by my family for generations, and a few other items of importance. From there it was just the matter of escaping Canterlot and making my way here.
And now I lay in this bed and wait, the waiting was always the worst. I had requested private audience with the Princess, under another lie of information from Canterlot. The young thestral, a Lieutenant, gave his word he would try, gave me a salute and left. I didn’t bother with one back, I wasn’t a Captain anymore, and I was too tired to even try. I must try to rest for now, the rain sounds like it’s beginning to let up. Maybe I’ll get some sleep tonight, but I imagine not.
Celestia did leave me one more present in the bag. The recipe she had been hiding from me for months. Quintuple Banana Nut Muffins.
Might have to try them sometime soon.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 172. Hour 25 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry 10 (173)
The Wonderbolts made these high-speed flights look easy. Every flex I’ve felt in my wings this morning leaves me with an ache unlike any I have felt before. Basic training didn’t even feel this bad in the beginning.
At least the food the medics had bought for me was good, though I’m not as keen on mango fruit salad as some of the herbivorous thestral around are. They tend to go crazy for the stuff, but I do not see the appeal of breakfast without fresh muffins and a nice cup of herbal tea. Call me an old-fashioned mare if you’d like, book, you cannot argue with a tried and true combination. Well you can’t really argue at all to be frank.
I struggled to get out of bed against the advice of the medics, though I assured them I would take it easy and just walk for now. I prefer walking over flying, honestly. Gives me a strange comfort in being grounded, while the rush of the skies felt too wide most times. I flew enough last night to last a small lifetime anyways
I would have called it morning when I stepped out of the tent, but I could not really tell with the perpetual twilight that hangs like a fog beneath the canopy. A humid mist hung in the air from the rains, dark shapes morphing and disappearing as they moved about at a rapid clip. The Night’s Guard was the most diverse of the Royal Guard by its very nature. Thestrals, ponies of all races, creatures of all kinds who have been cursed by the dark magicks that linger in the Wilds. The strigoi, the lycans, the carnivores and the undead. They always had a place to call home under the dark side of the Moon.
The ruined town was bustling with activity. Unicorns raced to cast their enchantments, airborne and earthbound alike working to fortify the run down buildings into defensive shelters. The Cursed wandered the edges of the town, I imagine to drive away anything looking to make a quick meal of some unsuspecting patrol in the cover of the mist.
And above it all stood the castle, not unlike a small version of Canterlot Castle, had transformed overnight from the ruined state I saw on my flight into a fortress of metal and magic. A gothic monument of steel offering its shade to all of those who asked for its protection. Cannons mounted proudly along its wall in a show of force. It’s oddly beautiful in its own right, much like Luna herself. A little ragged around the edges and needing some serious TLC, but willing to take and give forces unimaginable to protect those they harbor.
The only blemish is that flag, flying high and proud from the tallest tower like a tumor. The ancient flag of the New Lunar Republic, lacking the nightmarish motifs of old in favor of a sigil of wings and stars. Equestria is truly divided among the lines of faith and loyalty once more. The offer of protection it gave, as if Luna herself were extending her wings to bear the brunt of it all, was not a comfort.
I spoke with a few of the creatures I met along my walk, gathering what information I could on the state of affairs here. It’s going to be important to know what’s coming from now on, know who I’m fighting alongside, try to get an understanding of a world I had not been a part of for a better part of a decade.
Forces of all kinds had been mobilized for this conflict. The name “Night Terrors” came up a few times, must’ve been some specialized team recently formed but they seemed to speak of them highly, however talk of the leader of the group was met with stern looks from the other guards. Never got their name, maybe I’ll meet them sometime.
The current tactic in play was to wait and fortify. A counterattack was of the greatest concern. While minimal lives were lost in the initial attack on Canterlot Castle, a full scale counter attack would be much more deadly. Especially if Flux was among the ranks leading the charge.
Finally I learned about a group of captured Solar Guard that had been taken during the escape. No one knew what the exact plan for them was, bargaining chips for the captured Night Guards back in Canterlot most likely. Maybe I can convince Celestia into negotiations for release from both sides.
That’s another thing that worries me now. Sending a letter by conventional means would risk another accusation of treason, and the creatures here would be more likely to act immediately than to let justice be served through the systems. I’ll talk with some of the artificers later, see if a Sending Stone could be acquired from their stocks. I’ll wait on that until I talk with Luna. Making my return into the ranks will keep the suspicions off me.
I can see the Lieutenant coming back towards the medical tent now, hopefully to lead me to a meeting with her. We’ll just have to see.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 173. Hour 31 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry 11 (174)
Brief Mentions to WatermelonRat, Dark and Flux this time around. Bit vague on some of the characterizations but not going to make generalizations on what I don’t know, that’s just rude. If anyone mentioned wants anything changed, edited of clarified let me know whenever. Enjoy!
I sometimes wish I had been born a unicorn, or at least added runic magic to my education at some point. Wouldn’t mind writing my thoughts down in the moment rather than waiting and trying to describe every thought in my mind that became replaced by another just as quickly, but it’s rather clunky to write by hoof while you’re trying to walk.
The interior of the Bastion is surprisingly large for the ruins it was built on. I still cannot fathom how much work they’ve done on the place in such a short time. Iron covers most of the walls, held in place by bolts half the size of any regular pony and weighing thrice as much. Enchantments flow over most of them in wisps of pale teal aether, serving to fill the hall with the same light as much as they do to add magical protection to the structure. The ceilings stood around 30 feet above me, I could vaguely see movement and the faint glow of eyes in the darkness, thousands of thestrals using the crossing support beams as resting places.
Much like in Canterlot, the main hall was flurry of activity. Soldiers carried crates of bullets, cannonballs, spell canister grenades, and other terrifying munitions. Some of which I swore were illegal, or at the very least unethical by most standards. Others were practicing with close-quarters weapons, slashing through training dummies with electrified claws and swords I could never dream of wielding without being crushed by their weight. All the hallmarks of a nation ready for whatever Celestia could throw at them. There were some things that disturbed me on a level I have never felt.
Creatures of all shapes and sizes walked the halls in floor length robes, flipping through spellbooks and mixing various ingredients at potion stations. Stuff one might assume was fairly normal, but even I could feel the energy coming from the spells they were practicing. It came off them in waves, making me break out in a cold sweat as we passed by them. My eyes locked with one of the mages and it felt like my very soul had turned to ice. Their robes were colored in a way similar to the ancient flag of the NLR, dark blues and blacks in swirling mists adorned with bright stars. Cultists, no doubt, bringing their forbidden magicks to aid the being they paid tribute too. The very one that had been destroyed by six friends long ago. Why Luna would ever allow these psychopaths into her midst baffled my mind. The Cursed I understand, they couldn’t help what they are and many do not deserve to be destroyed by those seeing them as nothing but abominations. Cultists, especially ones trying to bring about the return of everlasting night, are never anything but trouble waiting to happen.
Away from them I encountered a couple of members of the so-called Night Terrors, though I didn’t get the chance to speak with any of them. They seemed like they could be a friendly bunch outside of war, most of them anyways. I got a quick glance from their leader, a thestral who went by Dark as I later learned, and I felt the urge to flee. They didn’t seem like they were a bad creature, far from it, but there was something off about them. Ancient, primal, predatory. I felt like a gazelle staring down a hungry manticore at dinner time. Once the glance was gone, so was the feeling, though part of me still glances down the hall where they are addressing their troops as if I almost expect them to appear in front of my face in the blink of an eye.
I heard from the Lieutenant guiding me through the halls that there had been a number of defectors running from the Empire in the last few hours, and much to his dislike a many number of the Night Guard had chosen to flee or stay behind in Canterlot. Rat was a name that came up among the ones choosing to side with Celestia. I vaguely remember them, another creature as unusually skilled and driven much like the Red General, one I never got the honor of meeting in person but heard of their accomplishments. With Flux and Rat by Celestia’s side, even by themselves, maybe this war will end without too much bloodshed on sheer will alone.
Whatever the reason for this rebellion, it leaves the Night Guard with an uphill battle the way the chips are stacked.
My meeting with Luna is to start soon, the Lieutenant mentioning that she demanded my presence as soon as my name was brought up to her. I wonder if that is a good or bad thing? She cared enough about our friendship and my service to her to warn me about the initial attack on the Castle, so maybe it will be a good talk. Maybe I can finally make sense of the reasoning behind all of this, though I imagine I may be a bit miffed if it’s over something extremely petty.
Getting mad with one princess and betraying another in the span of a day? That’s got to be some kind of record.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 174. Hour 32 of the War.
WatermelonRat
Starlight Glimmer - For Patreon supporters
Sunset Shimmer - For Patreon supporters
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Ruby - For users who have donated to the site
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Assistant
Upload King
If it helps you with writing my character, the breakdown of my decision to defect was as follows:
30% to make the competition last longer (good for the event, but probably makes me a war-loving maniac with no real loyalty in-story)
30% for the notoriety and ego boost of being able to single-handedly turn the tide
30% for the challenge and to push myself harder
10% because I was promised a special “balancer” badge (I’m sure it will be ready any day now…)
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry 12 (175)
Not super proud of this one, probably the hardest one to write so far just idea wise.
My meeting with Luna went much differently than the one with Celestia.
There were no advisors and generals in the throne room when I entered, there were maybe a few guards just as a security detail but they did not make a move as the Princess nearly tackled me into a hug.
It was nice, I will admit, to see she legitimately cared that I was there before her unharmed. I returned the hug without question, no matter what has happened I still love and respect her more than anyone.
We stayed like that for some time, just embracing. We it finally broke I was able to get a better look at her. The armor had replaced her regalia, pale blue that shimmered with stars innumerable in every fleck of light. A claymore sat in a sheath at her side, ready at a moment’s notice to cut someone to size. I still wonder if she would go that far in the end, blood had already been spilt afterall.
I decided it was best to waste no time in asking for details on what happened, why all of these preparations and attacks. Just as she always was, she was forthcoming with her thoughts and reasonings.
“Our sister has grown lax and complacent in peace. Not a touch of major conflict has made its way to Equestrian soils in quite a long time. It’s only a matter of time before one would happen, and we are not ready. Nobles demand budget cuts to military assets and assigning of guards to useless formal functions, and she relents despite our own opposition. We feel as if her judgment is clouded, that after a thousand years of singular rule and a short while of sharing the throne she is not fit to lead Equestria when conflict arises. This rebellion is barely more than a test of that fitness, we need her to prove herself ready for what comes.``
That’s all. Just a test? To say I was furious was more than an understatement at that moment. Ponies have already died, and others are more than eager to kill at a moment’s notice, and to her it was all just a test? It makes no sense. I have seen the preparations in Canterlot, how could she have not?
“Creatures will die, that is a part of war. We are leaders, meant to protect every last of our citizens, even if it means taking a life or many. That is what I fear for Celestia, that her hesitations would lead to more preventable death. We will mourn the ones lost in this, but we pray she does not let that happen.”
It was bullshit, loose reasoning at most and damn near stupid all together. How could she think this was the correct course of action? What idiotic archaic thoughts. Part of me now wishes I would have said that to her. Maybe knocked some sense into her, but that would have been a death wish in her current state. Despite the friendly demeanor, the soft spoken words with weight given to each one, there was something off in the way she acted. Something sinister brewing behind her eyes, dark and fearful.
I lied to her, saying I understood what she felt. Gave her loose words of comfort instead of the harsh ones I wanted to give her. Maybe it was a mistake to do that, I won’t know until this is over.
I left with a promise I would visit her as often as she wished while I was here. I knew I would have to pull my weight in some way so I asked to be added to the ranks as a medic and cook. She agreed without hesitation, and so a Captain I became once again. We hugged once more and the Lieutenant lead me to the barracks.
I know in the back of my mind that there is something off with Luna, but I dare not speculate as to what. That darkness behind her eyes scared me, like I was looking past her soul into another, but the worst part was the kindness in her eyes. She cared for Equestria, cared for her sister. She doesn’t want war as much as anyone else, but for reasons I cannot fathom she sees it as the only course. Hopefully her mind changes soon before she does something she’ll truly regret.
This wing of the barracks is quite a mixed bag. Down the hall was a make-shift hospital, beyond that was a small cafeteria for the wounded. Several other groups sharred the rows of barracks, most sitting with doors open and creatures having fun during their rest. It felt like an old college dorm, save for the side hall set aside strictly for the Night Terrors and Luna’s personal guard details. That hall remained nearly silent from what I was told.
My stuff had been brought up from the medical tent and left by a bed along with medics armor and the sending stone I requested. The place wasn’t much but it was better than nothing I guess. My roommates are both fruit bat thestrals, both part of the kitchen detail as well. They seem like good ponies. Maybe friends when all of this is over and done with. Who knows?
I should probably send a letter to Celestia soon before another attack happens. Either way I’ll need to hunt down a new pen, this one is starting to run low.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 175. Hour 35 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Entry 13 (176)
Shorter one this time around before the events of Night 2 and Day 3 begin in full.
I never understood why ponies gravitate to this cursed town.
Ponyville just always seems to be under attack by some evil force or giant monster. Even with nearly 5 years of peace and quiet, there is always a sense around here that something bad could happen at any moment.
I only came here to grab supplies that the camp was severely lacking, mainly in the way of cooking ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, rations will get you through but nothing beats fresh foods for morale. Is it realistic for a war scenario, not really, but with no idea how long this is going to go on it’s better to be prepared.
Getting into town has been difficult to say the least. An old cloak from the Bastion seems to be working, but with the amount of Solar Guard prowling the streets I need to be careful. Even here in Sugarcube Corner, the risk of being caught is high.
Especially with Princess Twilight across the room from me.
She hasn’t noticed me at all nor questioned the cloak, or if she has she’s being fairly silent about it all. The Element bearers are with her as well, flanked on all sides by a guard regiment. It seems they aren’t being mobilized, just protected, or at least I hope they aren’t being brought into combat. It would be a disaster for the NLR to face them, or even Equestria if one of them got hurt.
I shouldn’t stay here too long. Pinkie keeps coming over to wait for my table, it’s only a matter of time til the guards recognize me. A bit sad though, Pinkie is a good pony. Granted I “hate” her for cutting off half my catering market, but I respect her talents and it’s impossible to dislike her. Wish I could say hello again.
It’s going to be a long afternoon, I have over 100 pounds of items in my cart to drag back to the Bastion. I would have put it in the Holding Satchel, but that would be a bit too suspicious I think. I saw a store for stationery on the way into town, maybe I might luck out and find some enchanted writing implements so I don’t have to drop everything just to hold a pen now that time matters.
I did get my letter to Celestia sent off, so hopefully that makes it to her without delay. I need a small victory like that right now, little book.
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry 175. Hour 39 of the War.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Addendum Entry 1 - Letter to Celestia
Dear Princess Celestia,
I have met with Luna, and while you likely know where she is by now I will not divulge that information in case this letter is intercepted.
She is safe, though I worry about her mental health. She seems to see this as some kind of test of your ability to rule under conflict. I can’t say I understand or agree with her views, but I still feel a duty to be here for her.
I have no idea if the Republic is monitoring letters sent by Sending Stone, so I ask that you refrain from contacting me for the time being just in case.
I’m returning to the front as a medic, and I sincerely hope that I will not be needed in the end. If my services are required, I will do my best to help creatures on both sides at risk to my own life in the process.
I hope you are well and safe. May this terrible division be ended swiftly.
Your friend,
Sweet Bun
P.S. I found the recipe and will be trying it as soon as I can. Can’t believe I never guessed 5 kinds of bananas. Only you would come up with something like that. My money was on Banana Chunk.
CountDerpy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

NLR's Mom
Finally back in the saddle with a bit of a perspective change and a shorter entry. Been too long since I’ve made a post and I plan to correct that shortly.
Enjoy!
Take that you magically-inclined eggheads! A simple enchantment, a small pendant and a few bits. BAM. Self-writing diary based on my thoughts. Though I must thank those same unicorns for coming up with the enchantments in the first place, snarky bastards. Small victories, Sweet Bun. Small victories.
I’m about an hour out from the encampment now. Who would have guessed dragging a heavy cart through the forest underbrush would take forever? Not me apparently, but what can you do? The camp will need these supplies likely before the week is out, judging by the supply of rations and the sheer number of Night Guards. Sure those that live on meat and blood and emotion will be just fine, but everyone else is going to struggle within a few days. Plus outside of certain thestrals accustomed to it, the fruits in the forest can be transformative at best, deadly if you are truly unlucky.
That’s the least of concerns on my mind right now. The walk has given me time to think and consider how I’m going to keep up this façade of lies and promises. It’s bound to crack at some point and at worst it could get me killed if I don’t plan well, and I doubt waving a flag of peace would do me any favors right now. Probably best to keep my intentions vague, play the field as it were. I’m still going to help out anyone who needs it, rank and loyalty be damned. I’ve never seen a pony die, and I will do my best to prevent that. Now just to figure out how to bake potions into my goods without them losing their potency and being use-
Wait. What was that? It sounded almost like…trumpets? I swear I heard trumpets just now, coming from above the canopy. It’s too thick to see through but..yes, there they are again. Louder too, from the east. Trumpets from the east…the Solar War Horns! A counterattack so soon!? They were going mad in the throne room with preparations before I fled, but less than two days later? To find the encampment and plan an attack? This is bad. Really really bad. I might need to leave the cart and make a run for the camp.
There is another sound. Crackling behind me. The wind is picking up and it’s getting war-
…Oh crapbaskets.
The edges of the paper are scorched and crumpled
-Diary of Countess Sweet Bun, Entry ???. Between Hours 46-49 of the War
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide