Viewing last 25 versions of post by HeadlessHorselessHorseman in topic The downfall of TGWTG or Channel Awesome

HeadlessHorselessHorseman

"[@Red-Supernova":](/forums/generals/topics/the-downfall-of-tgwtg-or-channel-awesome-324?post_id=4950997#post_4950997
)  
Same. I don't go for "punching up vs. punching down" moralizing, and plenty of good comedy _*does_* come at someone else's expense, but it's far, far too reductive to say that all of it does (even Family Guy, dark and mean-spirited as it always is, has plenty of segments that are just absurd). The Nostalgia Critic doesn't really follow his own rule; the bits in his videos that I remember making me laugh the hardest never had much to do with him suffering as such.

When it came to Looney Tunes, the screenwriters realized fairly quickly that someone as pathetic as Elmer Fudd wasn't an ideal victim. My favorite antagonists for Bugs have always been Yosemite Sam and Daffy Duck, and they almost always deserve his ire.

It doesn't help that, obviously, cartoon characters can take infinite amounts of abuse and still be raring to go. The real people featured in "cringe compilations" can't.

To the extent that cringe culture can be rooted in the '90s, it probably owes quite a bit more to Jerry Springer and Maury Povich than Animaniacs.
No reason given
Edited by HeadlessHorselessHorseman