The tag guidelines were last updated
Why Tags Matter
Derpibooru has a lot of different types of content and almost any type of artwork and most types of meta content are allowed, thus, the use of filters to only see that which you want to is essential. Tags are a necessity for filtering to work, and rating tags are the most important because they capture large categorical distinctions of content type.
These are the most important tags, which you should start out with before considering others.
The rating tags
These very special tags group content into broad categories. They appear blue with fancy tags. Note that any ratings can coexist on an image unless otherwise specified here.
At minimum, you must tag an image with at least one of the rating tags.
The safe rating
Safe for work and children.
Screencaps from the show without changes, and only reasonable animation loops, are always safe.
Images tagged safe cannot have any other rating.
The sexual ratings (one per image)
Sexual implications, risqué acts, and minor nudity.
- Mostly-bare breasts/buttcheeks/crotch on those that normally wear clothes
- Sexualized scenarios (adults in diapers, transgender transformation, etc.)
- Sexualized touching of breasts/buttcheeks
- Sexually emphasized body areas, such as "presenting" poses, "feet worship", prominent crotch bulges, or obviously-hard nipples
- Pubic hair (note that use as a censor is questionable)
- Sexual innuendo (including visual, such as crotch sub sandwich or penis shapes)
- References to genitalia/sex/sex acts
Not-quite-sex, intense acts, and nudity.
- Nipples on breasts
- Sexually-emphasized gross scenarios, such as:
- Being in a throat, stomach, or intestines
- Morbid obesity
- Bodily waste being excreted, held in clothing, or sensually interacted with
- Feet licking
- Barely-concealed or clothing-outlined genitals (cameltoe etc., more than a bulge)
- Moderately detailed anuses (such as a star in a circle), note that simple anuses (such as just a star) are like any normal body part (safe, suggestive if sexualized)
- Sexualized touching of the following areas:
- Between buttcheeks or around the anus
- Sex toys
- Would-be sex or ejaculation with stand-ins for genitals/anuses (such as sub sandwiches or horns)
- Implicit insertions (clearly going up a hole, but not visible and not done for them to get off, such as enemas or a comedic shove)
- Descriptions of sex
Sex, sex fluids, and major nudity.
- Genitals (penis, vagina/vulva, balls, etc.) including any detailed visuals of them, note that sheaths are like any normal body part (safe until sexualized)
- Detailed anuses
- Sex (genital/anal stimulation, even if not visible)
- Sexual bodily fluids (cum, precum, or vaginal fluids)
- Extremely detailed descriptions of sex
The dark ratings (one per image)
Dark, but not nightmare-inducing.
- Grimdark implications
- Non-serious grimdark situations (dark comedy)
- Fresh amputation
- Grave injury
- Murderous insanity
Dark to the point of nightmares/PTSD.
- Violent/painful death
- Horrific sights (such as extreme gore or eldritch abominations)
- Rape (not surprise sex or rape-play, traumatic to receiving party)
- Other traumatic situations (such as torture or extreme captivity)
The gross rating
- Body horror
- Extreme filth
- Detailed solid or semi-solid bodily waste, such as poop or vomit
Other important tags
You will likely be banned for repeatedly not tagging these, as with ratings.
artist:artist name here— specifies the work's artist
- artist needed (20475)— when the artist is unknown
- futa (31025)— a female, but with a penis; counts as its own gender for gender-based tags
- meta (13319)— stuff about stuff
- seizure warning (2374)— rapid animations that could potentially cause seizures
- text (29965)— when the main point is in text
These tags apply for any sexual or romantic acts as well as relationships, and no two are mutually exclusive. Note that female by default does not include futa.
You likely won't be banned for forgetting these tags, but they are still important.
- bisexual (1979)— a character involved with a male and a female simultaneously
- gay (18995)
- futa on female (8154)— a female involed with a futa
- futa on futa (2632)— a futa involved with another futa
- futa on male (1507)— a male involved with a futa
- lesbian (67438)
- straight (92117)
These are generally expected on upload, but are less important.
- anthro (165283)— non-humans with partial human body shapes not normal for their species
- Character tags (e.g. applejack (129428)) — when the character is in the image
- crossover (46001)— when elements from another media universe are combined with MLP elements
- equestria girls (128057)— for characters and locations from the Equestria Girls series
- ponified (29487)— when a non-pony character has been turned into a pony
- humanized (80785)— when a non-human character has been turned into a human
- shipping (135002)— characters are in a romantic or sexual relationship
- solo (744951)— when there is only one character in the image
- solo male (17723)solo female (135131)solo futa (11796)— on suggestive/questionable/explicit images, specifying the gender of the one character
- oc (421332)— when any character in the image is an original character (not from the show, fan-made)