Viewing last 25 versions of post by Benzene in topic Commenting Anonymously

Benzene
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Economist -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

"[@Archonix":](/meta/commenting-anonymously/post/2122518#post_2122518
[bq]
)  

>
or if they’re commenting on images that they don’t necessarily want their username to be associated with[/bq]

Quite so. Anyone can see the number of comments I've made versus those that are publicly visible under my profile. Though I don't believe I've ever posted anything deliberately inflammatory (at least not anonymously), I wouldn't go anonymous to do so. I admit some of my opinions might not be too pleasant for some to hear and there are a small number of individuals who, shall we say, rub me the wrong way but I still try to avoid engaging at all.

What's there to gain? If you're breaking the rules, the mods can see who you are anyway. And as Archonix rightfully points out, there'll always be cases where someone posts against the grain or is afraid what they say may... I can't find a concise way to put this; there's a whole range of psychological issues that cover how we perceive others and their actions.

If I may simplify, we over time build up certain images of the people around us. Sometimes, saying the wrong thing can do a lot of damage to that or, to put it another way, can colour peoples' perception in a way that's unfair to the individual expressing themselves (because we so often make incorrect assumptions about why people do things).

And I don't mean expressing ideas that are necessarily dangerous or harmful, only harmful to how the people expressing them are perceived. It's basic, right? Among your peers there'll be an established set of opinions that people share and stepping outside that can, in the most extreme cases, lead to ostracisation. It's the same on Derpibooru - people make friends here, they form a community and like any large and rather diverse community there'll be a body of accepted opinions. Sometimes, though, for whatever reason, people may want to post opinions that are contrary to that. Not to incite anger or cause trouble, but because they truly hold those opinions and want to talk about them but also don't want to risk losing friends or making enemies.

Now, I've been expanding on what Archonix said to hopefully make expressly clear what's being talked about. There's nothing nefarious going on, it's just allowing people a means of expressing dissenting (again, for lack of a better term) opinions without being pushed away from the community. Even you say yourself, they may wish to say something embarrassing; not even objectionable or offensive! Just personally embarrassing.

And think about that for a moment - do you share all the opinions of your peers? Can you say there're no points where you diverge? People disagree but sometimes that disagreement can lead to bitterness and hostility. Sometimes not, but it's still safer to take the chance anonymously. It can give one a chance to test the waters, so to speak.

I've laboured this point, I realise, but only in the hope that in laying it out so clearly, you'll find my argument in favour to be reasonable.
Reason: Clarification.
Edited by Benzene
Benzene
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Economist -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

"@Archonix":/meta/commenting-anonymously/post/2122518#post_2122518
[bq]or if they’re commenting on images that they don’t necessarily want their username to be associated with[/bq]
Quite so. Anyone can see the number of comments I've made versus those that are publicly visible under my profile. Though I don't believe I've ever posted anything inflammatory (at least not anonymously), I wouldn't go anonymous to do so. I admit some of my opinions might not be too pleasant for some to hear and there are a small number of individuals who, shall we say, rub me the wrong way but I still try to avoid engaging at all.

What's there to gain? If you're breaking the rules, the mods can see who you are anyway. And as Archonix rightfully points out, there'll always be cases where someone posts against the grain or is afraid what they say may... I can't find a concise way to put this; there's a whole range of psychological issues that cover how we perceive others and their actions.
If I may simplify, we over time build up certain images of the people around us. Sometimes, saying the wrong thing can do a lot of damage to that or, to put it another way, can colour peoples' perception in a way that's unfair to the individual expressing themselves (because we so often make incorrect assumptions about why people do things).

And I don't mean expressing ideas that are necessarily dangerous or harmful, only harmful to how the people expressing them are perceived. It's basic, right? Among your peers there'll be an established set of opinions that people share and stepping outside that can, in the most extreme cases, lead to ostracisation. It's the same on Derpibooru - people make friends here, they form a community and like any large and rather diverse community there'll be a body of accepted opinions. Sometimes, though, for whatever reason, people may want to post opinions that are contrary to that. Not to incite anger or cause trouble, but because they truly hold those opinions and want to talk about them but also don't want to risk losing friends or making enemies.

Now, I've been expanding on what Archonix said to hopefully make expressly clear what's being talked about. There's nothing nefarious going on, it's just allowing people a means of expressing dissenting (again, for lack of a better term) opinions without being pushed away from the community. Even you say yourself, they may wish to say something embarrassing; not even objectionable or offensive! Just personally embarrassing.

And think about that for a moment - do you share all the opinions of your peers? Can you say there're no points where you diverge? People disagree but sometimes that disagreement can lead to bitterness and hostility. Sometimes not, but it's still safer to take the chance anonymously. It can give one a chance to test the waters, so to speak.

I've laboured this point, I realise, but only in the hope that in laying it out so clearly, you'll find my argument in favour to be reasonable.
No reason given
Edited by Benzene