Viewing last 25 versions of post by mjangelvortex in topic Culture, Biology, and Dietary Headcanons

mjangelvortex
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Lady of Ships and Birbs
"[@Background Pony #E8C7":](/pony/biology-and-dietary-headcanons/post/3654703#post_3654703
[bq]
)  

>
No question, Twilight has hovered on the edges of some powers that, were she of a less guileless nature, would undoubtedly be very concerning. She definitely strikes me as an "oh, hey, a spell that completely dominates other minds and bends them to my will? This is fascinating stuff to learn about just for the sake of learning!" type.[/bq]

It very would. I honestly think she could have toed the line very easily. She has done morally ambiguous things with magic before (like the Want it Need it Spell or what she did to the Pinkie clones) or has gotten close to doing that (like attempting to use magic to reform Discord against his will).

[bq]

>
And given that she may be one of the most diverse magic users in Equestria, I do sometimes wonder if Celestia’s desire for her to make friends had an additional intent of keeping her from accidentally becoming some kind of world consuming evil.[/bq]

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was. Especially if you consider what happened to Luna and Sunset Shimmer. She's seen firsthand what happens to some when magic is misused.

[bq]

>
Honestly? I could see that as the worst one for drawbacks. I mean, not to draw from other mediums, but you think about Lord Voldemort’s desire to live forever and what it cost him to do that, and then imagine a scenario in Equestria where you so love yourself that you would twist that love into sustaining your life even after death, and… that just seems like asking for the worst of all fates. Even if you don’t mess it up. The words "grim mockery" come to mind if you fail, and all the unending torment that goes along with sustaining yourself because yourself is the only thing you ever loved.

>
>
I don’t know if Equestria has lich, but if they do, I bet that would be where they come from.

>
>
Goodness knows the show has made a play over how emotions affect magic use (thanks, Starlight, for that), so the desire of the person performing magic doesn’t seem like a stretch.

>
>
On a related note, I can’t help but think that being brought back in the best way is a pretty rare circumstance, considering that it requires love not used selfishly or out of a refusal to let nature have its way. I’d like to think it would also be the one closest to actual life, whatever that would signify.[/bq]

I agree with you on these points too. I think it would be rare for the dead to come back in a normal manner for those reasons.

[@LightningBolt](/pony/biology-and-dietary-headcanons/post/3654708#post_3654708)  

> Emotions affecting magic has been implied before, but they finally made it very clear thanks to her, which is nice as it’s loose enough to allow flexibility in writing, both canon and noncanon. People may bitch like "oh well twilight can teleport why didn’t she do that!" but if emotions and focus affect how your magic works, it can be very hard to teleport when in a stressful situation. It’s still possible, but it takes more concentration.

That's what I feel about emotion magic too.
No reason given
Edited by mjangelvortex
mjangelvortex
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Lady of Ships and Birbs
"@Background Pony #E8C7":/pony/biology-and-dietary-headcanons/post/3654703#post_3654703
[bq]No question, Twilight has hovered on the edges of some powers that, were she of a less guileless nature, would undoubtedly be very concerning. She definitely strikes me as an "oh, hey, a spell that completely dominates other minds and bends them to my will? This is fascinating stuff to learn about just for the sake of learning!" type.[/bq]
It very would. I honestly think she could have toed the line very easily. She has done morally ambiguous things with magic before (like the Want it Need it Spell or what she did to the Pinkie clones) or has gotten close to doing that (like attempting to use magic to reform Discord against his will).

[bq]And given that she may be one of the most diverse magic users in Equestria, I do sometimes wonder if Celestia’s desire for her to make friends had an additional intent of keeping her from accidentally becoming some kind of world consuming evil.[/bq]

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was. Especially if you consider what happened to Luna and Sunset Shimmer. She's seen firsthand what happens to some when magic is misused.

[bq]Honestly? I could see that as the worst one for drawbacks. I mean, not to draw from other mediums, but you think about Lord Voldemort’s desire to live forever and what it cost him to do that, and then imagine a scenario in Equestria where you so love yourself that you would twist that love into sustaining your life even after death, and… that just seems like asking for the worst of all fates. Even if you don’t mess it up. The words "grim mockery" come to mind if you fail, and all the unending torment that goes along with sustaining yourself because yourself is the only thing you ever loved.

I don’t know if Equestria has lich, but if they do, I bet that would be where they come from.

Goodness knows the show has made a play over how emotions affect magic use (thanks, Starlight, for that), so the desire of the person performing magic doesn’t seem like a stretch.

On a related note, I can’t help but think that being brought back in the best way is a pretty rare circumstance, considering that it requires love not used selfishly or out of a refusal to let nature have its way. I’d like to think it would also be the one closest to actual life, whatever that would signify.[/bq]

I agree with you on these points too. I think it would be rare for the dead to come back in a normal manner for those reasons.
No reason given
Edited by mjangelvortex