Viewing last 25 versions of post by Tiger beetle in topic Pony Venting Thread

Tiger beetle
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Artist -

Send massage.
[@DerpyFast](/forums/pony/topics/pony-venting-thread?post_id=5589873#post_5589873)
I disagree. You are inevitably gonna make your assumptions about characters based on how they are presented within the work. And if it's not too much a stretch, if it doesn't outright contradict the canon, then I think that's valid. Celestia's been shown to be forgiving, wise, kind, playful, able to see potential in others, and more than willing to give second chances. She has regrets, but she doesn't give up because of them. She still sees herself as a good teacher, and ruler despite them.

Equestria is not a one-to-one of real life. Our rulers don't have a 'your destiny is to move the celestial body that illuminates the whole planet' tattooed on their bums, and they don't need to look at the totality of over a thousand years of ruling a magical land with magical threats, as to whether they should resign or not, whether they should get someone else to do this. Twilight was that someone else to do this, but that needed time to unfold. I am sure Celestia has made even more mistakes over her long reign, and no, her successes don't erase her mistakes. But that goes both ways. And what I see, is a land where every citizen can pursue their dreams, resources are plentiful, and not a decrepit shadow of its former self like Griffinstone, or a starving society under a tyrant like the changelings under Chrysalis. Yes, the individual mayors of those towns and cities are there to make decisions on the behalf of those places - but all of that starts with Celestia governing the whole thing from Canterlot. Every meeting with dozens of delegates, every public appearance, every piece of paperwork she signs has a rippling effect throughout the land.

She doesn't *blindly* trust Discord. She advocated for releasing a potential ally, so now she gives this ally an important task. If he continues serving Equestria, the safety of ponies is still gonna be in his hands. If she prevents Discord from doing anything of value...then what was the point of reforming him? Celestia recognizes she can't overpower every threat, (especially with the implications of Daybreaker, that she's holding back a lot), so the all powerful spirit of chaos would be an invaluable tool. Now, you can criticize her approach of 'crises equals an opportunity for a test of character',. iIf you disagree with such a way of conducting things, that is also perfectly valid. But that is also how she trained Twilight, and I wouldn't expect a different approach from her. Bottom line is, Discord WAS doing exactly whast she wasked toldf him, he captured Tirek within like 30 seconds. Celestia hasd no prior knowledge of Tirek being some sort of master manipulator, so of course she believes Discord's got this. She didn't know Tirek would try to sway him with words - the last person he tried to convince of to cprontinuceed with his plans was Scorpan, his *brother*, and that utterly failed. And Discord has a friend in Fluttershy who'd also suffer at Tirek's hands if he got his way, which provides extra motivation. Heck, Scorpan himself tattled on Tirek partially because of his friendship with Starswirl. And she's **right**, because Discord outright says he's doing it for Fluttershy. The main difference being that Scorpan grew to care about other ponies, while most ponies continued being hostile to Discord, so there wasn't as much connection there, which is why Tirek's reasoning worked in the first place. Plus, saying "yeah, gag the guy, or he might turn you evil again" could be insulting to Discord, and make him feel like Celestia is treating him like an idiot.

No reason given
Edited by Tiger beetle