General Anime Thread

Holofan4life
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
Then again, dt has my thing and I have my thing. Most people would disagree that Nekopara isn’t cute, and that’s okay. It’s good to have different opinions. :)
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
The pee jokes really don’t bother me because I take it as just comedy. It’s no worse than the JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure scene where Giorno drinks pee. And JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure is heralded as a masterpiece. But opinions are like assholes: everyone has one. And I respect other people’s opinions.
dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Magia Record ep 4. Appropriately understated episode, which I really dug. I was a bit concerned about how the show was going handle a large cast, but the new girl just tagging along while the focused remained on Yachiyo and Iroha was an excellent decision.

I like that, even though Iroha’s still a sweet kid, she isn’t the perfectly benevolent angel that Madoka was. Yachiyo also doesn’t seem particularly single-minded like Homura, either. And I’m really glad we’re not spending a lot of time on Yachiyo just being annoyed by Iroha’s very presence. She gets a little exasperated at Iroha’s naivete, but she also feels a responsibility to guide her as well. The longer this goes, the more superficial the similarities to the old cast seem, which I appreciate.

Another small detail that I appreciated was that Yachiyo actually bought groceries, as opposed to using magic to steal them, which I feel would’ve been an OG move. Yachiyo being much closer to adulthood than the other girls in the franchise grounds her in more compelling ways to the others.

full

One theme the show does keep from the OG is hope. It’s hard to look at Iroha’s situation with any sort of optimism, but Iroha holds out hope regardless.

full

MHA ep 78. This might be the Best OP of the series. (Really wish the broadcast didn’t fucking dim it at the best part.) New ED was good, too. The transition from the cold open to the new OP was pretty brutal, but I don’t think it takes away from it.

The self-doubt that Deku feels remains so relatable. My boy puts so much pressure on himself to save everyone by himself, when people around him are constantly showing him that he doesn’t need to carry that weight on his own. He never could’ve gotten to where he is by himself, and he’s not going to achieve his lofty goals by himself. My boy still has a lot to learn.

full

22/7 ep 3. I goddamn knew Miu would eventually accept the idol life. Still, even with that and her inconsistent voice work, I still find her story very sympathetic. I really liked how this ep paid all the little cheesy stuff off.

This show has good drama and good music. It could be legitimately one of the better shows of the season if it just stuck to that.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
Is it petty of me tosay that I have lost interest in MHA because I don’t like the Heroes? Like, the Villains are great but the Heroes are so boring.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
Eizouken is everything I love about animation. More precisely, everything I love about concept art and world-building. The MC is so relatable to me since I love to create concepts too and the way she sees the world.

Loving it.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
@dt  
@Scrabbleman

Compiling my thoughts a bit more, I’m not as compelled by the depth and complexity of villainy as much as I used to be. I’m not that interested in “bad guy has a point” stories anymore, because most of the time they actually don’t. I’ve started to feel like a lot of these “gritty and real” action shows aren’t actually realistic, just a different sort of idealism.

“Imaginary evil is romantic and varied; real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring. Imaginary good is boring; real good is always new, marvelous, intoxicating.” As to why we seem to have decided evil is more interesting, why we seem to lack imagination when portraying goodness, I couldn’t say.

I’ve pining for more shows about the depth and complexity of heroism. But not a lot of shows even try this, which is probably why I gravitate to that element of it in MHA, even with its imperfections. MHA takes the stock-standard “anyone can be hero” lesson further than most shows. MHA has spent a lot of time exploring the consequences of heroism, whereas most action shows are specifically designed so that there aren’t any.

I mean, maybe it’s my own ignorance, maybe there are a ton of shows with interesting depictions of heroism that I just haven’t seen. But for those reasons, I maintain that MHA is at least above-average.
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I II II L
I just love the fact that Interspecies Reviewers, which is basically hentai, airs on broadcast television. Hentai airing on TV. What a time to be alive.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Dorohedoro ep 3. Pretty fucking raw. Is that in the manga?

It took me a few eps to realize what the Sorcerer’s Smoke rising to the sky in the current apocalyptic state of the world could be an allegory for. Maybe it’s a coincidence, but I found it amusing.

Anyway, this ep tries to do a lot of things at once, and it actually works. I liked the fight choreography, and Ebisu getting zombiefied in the middle of an important fight while most of the others ignore it was pretty funny. Noi’s healing magic was a viscerally satisfying scene. And I liked the positive message in the end.

(Did they imply that Caiman knows, or am I being too optimistic?)

full

Eizouken ep 4. The dedication to getting all the way into the weeds of animation production was impressive and educational.

For a show about art and the creative process, I’m astonished at how honest it is. As idealistic as we’d like to be, storytelling is a series of cheats, “the outcome of passion crashing against compromise.” And as viewers, often a big part of understanding a piece of media is understanding why certain storytelling choices were made.

The presentation itself was really awesome. I really loved when Kanamri asked “What do you two think?” and the student council assumed she was talking to them, but she was actually talking to her artists. And all they could think about was making improvements to their work.

full

I just couldn’t stop smiling.
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
@dt  
Is that in the manga?

Double checked. It wasn’t

what the Sorcerer’s Smoke rising to the sky in the current apocalyptic state of the world could be an allegory for.
Not sure if there is fitting allegory, especially what this smoke really is one big curse from victims of magic usersAlso you shouldn’t spoiler for what is currently airing in manga adaption or you mix up with manga spoilers
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide