Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Pony #2F3C
@lonewolf
$100 says 10 years or less. It WAS 10 years between the fall of the Soviet Union (1991) to the day where those goddamn jihadis deliberately crashed into the World Trade Center (2001).
I mean we did initially created or recruited the Taliban to fight the Ruskies, didn’t we?

No, US armed the mujahidin that would eventually become Al-Qaeda. The Taliban are a different faction that later shielded them. It should be noted that Al-Qaeda was (and is) primarily funded and supported by Saudi Arabia, a country the US has called a close ally for decades and thrown billions at, but holding them accountable for all that is a laughable concept because 💰💰💰.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Before things get really stupid in here, it might be helpful if people could take a look at this comparison of, and the differences between, the Islamic State, The Taliban and Al-Qaeda:

https://www.forces.net/evergreen/islamic-state-taliban-and-al-qaeda-how-are-they-different

Yes - it is from the FORCES.NET site (Serving Those Who Serve), but even if it might have its own bias it at least is as informative as possible. And it might help with what appears to be a lot of confusion by some in this thread as to what The Taliban actually is - and what it IS NOT.

@Background Pony #2F3C  
Also all of this.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

So how long before the Tally waggers…. i mean Taliban regroups and does another 9/11 on us?
I think you’re mistaking Taliban with Al Qaeda.

Like Palestine’s Hamas, Taliban is mostly local guys who just wanna sit on their home turf and not pick fights against anybody without the turf advantage.

I hope they’re smart enough to realize another 9/11 gonna fuck whatever progress they’ve made today.

They won, Afghan troops went out to buy milk and they aint got to worry about neighbors walking on their property.

If they smart they wouldn’t pull any more stupid shit like international terror attacks, because they’re pretty much set and should just focus on city building for decades to come.

@Ciaran

Amazing find. Should be a good starting point so ppl don’t just think Hamas, Taliban, Boko Haram, Front Pembela Islam, Alqaeda and ISis are the same thing.

Reminder: This is not apologetics. Just information.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Peace to all
@Ciaran  
Good enough explanation. Only thing it leaves out is the US/Saudi Arabia kinda helped form that Taliban, though I suppose I can understand them skipping from the standpoint of it being a really complicated.

@Penguin Dragneel  
Sadly, a lot of resources and hard work were poured into there, but it was like putting air into a balloon with a hole in it.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Ppl kinda point out the parallels with the Fall of Saigon, 1975.

So…can we keep the parallels going for another 45 years?

Vietnam in 2021 is a fecking amazing country to visit, guys. Here’s hoping Afghanistan could follow similar trajectory. Fingers crossed.
Vivace
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
Gangster chic. That’s definitely part of why, despite 10 extra years and billions poured into rebuilding, life in Afghanistan couldn’t significantly improve for the average citizen, and shit could fall apart this fast.
Background Pony #77FB
Sadly, a lot of resources and hard work were poured into there, but it was like putting air into a balloon with a hole in it.
Much as there is room to criticize how it transpired, I think national security adviser Jake Sullivan made a valid point about the situation very similar to yours.  
Sullivan added that part of the reason for the speed of collapse “is because that end of the day, despite the fact we spent 20 years and tens of billions of dollars to give the best equipment, the best training and the best capacity to the Afghan national security forces, we could not give them the will and they ultimately decided that they would not fight for Kabul and they would not fight for the country.”
Sullivan said that Biden had “bad choices” in Afghanistan but insisted it wouldn’t have made a difference if the U.S. had remained in the country longer.
“What we have learned over the course of the past two weeks is if we had stayed one more year, or two more years, or five more years, or 10 more years, no amount of training, equipping or money or lives lost by the United States was going to put the Afghan army in a position to be able to sustain that country on its own,” Sullivan said.
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Gallusposting since 2019
It appears that the “We stand with Taliban” hashtag has been amplified by bots, mostly by Afghan, Pakistani, and Indian accounts, so the actual amount of supporters could be smaller.

As for India, I guess it could be either Islamist sympathisers or Hindutva saboteurs.
Background Human
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Dustcan  
What really stings is that these pictures were inevitable. No matter how badly Trump or Biden or anyone else botched the withdrawal, or even if they executed it perfectly (whatever that means), the Taliban was always going to sweep in as soon as we left, and it was always going to gain possession of the equipment we gave to prop up the Afghan army.

This had to happen. If we ever wanted to leave, it had to happen.
Background Pony #77FB
This had to happen. If we ever wanted to leave, it had to happen.
Which is kind of what the guy in charge himself pointed out earlier today.  
When I came into office, I inherited a deal that President Trump negotiated with the Taliban. Under his agreement, U.S. forces would be out of Afghanistan by May 1, 2021 — just a little over three months after I took office.
U.S. forces had already drawn down during the Trump administration from roughly 15,500 American forces to 2,500 troops in country, and the Taliban was at its strongest militarily since 2001.
The choice I had to make, as your President, was either to follow through on that agreement or be prepared to go back to fighting the Taliban in the middle of the spring fighting season.
There would have been no ceasefire after May 1. There was no agreement protecting our forces after May 1. There was no status quo of stability without American casualties after May 1.
There was only the cold reality of either following through on the agreement to withdraw our forces or escalating the conflict and sending thousands more American troops back into combat in Afghanistan, lurching into the third decade of conflict.
I stand squarely behind my decision. After 20 years, I’ve learned the hard way that there was never a good time to withdraw U.S. forces.
That’s why we were still there. We were clear-eyed about the risks. We planned for every contingency.
But I always promised the American people that I will be straight with you. The truth is: This did unfold more quickly than we had anticipated.
So what’s happened? Afghanistan political leaders gave up and fled the country. The Afghan military collapsed, sometimes without trying to fight.
If anything, the developments of the past week reinforced that ending U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan now was the right decision.
American troops cannot and should not be fighting in a war and dying in a war that Afghan forces are not willing to fight for themselves. We spent over a trillion dollars. We trained and equipped an Afghan military force of some 300,000 strong — incredibly well equipped — a force larger in size than the militaries of many of our NATO allies.
We gave them every tool they could need. We paid their salaries, provided for the maintenance of their air force — something the Taliban doesn’t have. Taliban does not have an air force. We provided close air support.
We gave them every chance to determine their own future. What we could not provide them was the will to fight for that future.
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

Gallusposting since 2019
@Background Pony #77FB

Some Trumpists are going to use this to bring their Dear Leader back to the White House – although they should have known that their Dear Leader already planned to bring the troops home before Biden did.

There’s the #BidenFailure hashtag on Twitter for that.
doloresbridge
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
@Background Pony #77FB  
It is the one good point Biden has been making (as you also pointed out). The who Afghanistan situation really is a quagmire of all quagmire’s with our various allies and enemies being blurred.

It is worth taking a look back at some of the retrospectives when Afghanistan was hitting 10 years on  
As tenacious as the Taliban may be, they still have serious weaknesses. For one thing, they’re almost totally dependent on their safe havens in Pakistan, where their leaders live openly. Pakistan is also the Afghan insurgents’ chief portal for cash, supplies, munitions, and explosives, without which the Taliban would be hard-pressed to survive. And yet Pakistani authorities seem unwilling to interfere with Taliban leaders or their operations. In fact, senior American officials say the Pakistanis are pouring resources into the Haqqani network, a Taliban-allied group of Afghan insurgents who are believed to have played major roles in the Rabbani assassination and the attacks on the Inter-Continental and the U.S. Embassy. (The Pakistanis vehemently deny any such collusion.)
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has repeatedly given Pakistan what amounts to an ultimatum. “The message they need to know is: we’re going to do everything we can to defend our forces,” Panetta told reporters two days after the embassy siege. “I’m not going to talk about how we’re going to respond. I’ll just let you know that we’re not going to allow these types of attacks to go on.” The CIA already has paramilitaries leading local forces inside Pakistan’s tribal areas, but so far their targets have been limited to Al Qaeda commanders. Will their mission now expand to target the Haqqanis? Or will the administration nerve itself to send regular troops over the border? One U.S. official with vast experience of Afghanistan tells Newsweek he thinks it’s “more than evens” that the U.S. could send troops over the border by the end of the year.

We are have little choice of other reliable partners in the region too.

If we were to not work with Pakistan, then who? We don’t have many good choices  
Carl von Clausewitz observed, “There is nothing more common than to find considerations of supply affecting the strategic lines of a campaign and a war.” As Secretary of Defense James Mattis prepares to dispatch more U.S. troops to Afghanistan, the Trump administration needs to consider how, as military scholars have written, “Logistical considerations will account for the feasibility of entrenching on a given piece of ground.” What policies will enable those troops and their supplies to get there and allow Afghanistan to develop the resources to entrench its own forces?
Military and economic access to landlocked Afghanistan depend on transit through Pakistan, Iran, or Russia — all of which some in the Trump administration and Congress seem bent on confronting simultaneously. The only alternative, a path that snakes from northwest Afghanistan to Turkey through Central Asia and the Caucasus via the Caspian Sea, lacks capacity and is vulnerable to both Russian and Iranian pressure. Afghanistan’s forbidding location poses obstacles to overextended U.S. ambitions.

How could we do it? We have to some extent worked with all these people and were either back stabbed or ruined those relationships ourselves.

To @Background Pony #4962 point on Pakistan and the Soviet Union. Pakistan certainly played its part in forming and enabling the Taliban as well, yes, and no one should ever forget that the Soviet Union created this situation for all of this in the first place and I don’t want to sound like a anti American idiot “USA REEEEEEEEEE RUINED EVERYTHING!” but seeds were planted by Saudi Arabian schools sometimes with significant US assistance.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Latecomer

In theory yes, in actual practice hell no! Modern air forces require a modern nation with all its infrastructure and resources just to maintain. To actually build one you need those and a pretty good manufacturing economy as well.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Some Trumpists are going to use this to bring their Dear Leader back to the White House – although they should have known that their Dear Leader already planned to bring the troops home before Biden did.
There’s the #BidenFailure hashtag on Twitter for that.

The RNC has already deleted their page bragging about how Trump made the withdrawal deal. The GOP continues to be post-irony as they wind up to go all in on the”Biden lost the war” narrative.

Never forget that this the entire war was a 20 years long, very bipartisan failure and mistake.
Background Human
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Ebalosus  
This is the problem for the Taliban, and it’s also the problem for America. Despite the past several decades of warfare, our military is still largely designed around fighting a modern industrialized state opponent. More precisely, it’s designed around blowing stuff up. It’s like an RTS: you blow up their tank factories, they stop building tanks, you win. But that’s not how you fight an insurgency or a proxy war. They use stuff that’s easy to come by: infantry, small arms, a bunch of Toyotas for some reason. And they’re usually being supplied by a bigger, angrier, possibly nuclear power, one you can’t afford to fight directly. So you can’t blow up their infrastructure, because it’s not their infrastructure. And because it’s easy for militants to blend in with civilian populations, you can’t blow up enough of their troops to make a difference without committing a whole bunch of war crimes, annihilating the nation you were ostensibly there to build.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide