Unpopular opinion time

Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
@DanielTepesKraus  
To me her addition to FiM feels the same as watching a square peg being hammered in a round hole: I can see she simply do not belong there.  
A real person like her would be a nightmare to deal and put up with, too.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@Jarkes  
i know “shilling” is often synonymous with “i don’t like thing”, but i nevertheless feel that line kind of justifies a lot of the “the writers are shilling starlight” accusations to be honest.

@Anonycat  
to be fair though, a “real” person like her would have needed to have been put in an asylum and medicated, rather than let to run loose on the promise that they’ll try to do better.
gingerninja666

Kaze ni Nare
@DanielTepesKraus

to me that line and Mirror Magic are the only examples of her being “shilled” that’s rankled me. Every other example people tend to bring up I think either has a decent reason, is blown out of proportion, or works for the story being told.
Twi Clown
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
@EotD

I don’t care very much about Starlight, in the sense that I don’t even have an opinion anymore about her.

Probably because I didn’t liked her that much as a character in the cutie map, nowadays the whole flip flop of shilling/making her actually likeable put me in a situation where I don’t know anymore.
gingerninja666

Kaze ni Nare
@Anonycat

ON a strict day to day interaction basis, I really can’t see Starlight being a nightmare. At least not now. Post-“Will cast magic on you to hold a conversation.”

We see her more extreme moments because the show is all about showing us a character at those peaks, but she’s ordinarily just a casual, kinda snarky, sensitive girl who keeps to herself.
EotD
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

I beat LoZ:BotW!!!
@gingerninja666  
But you can’t really say that the writers weren’t putting her at the forefront of a lot of things though in comparison to a lot if the other characters.
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@EotD  
and that’s fair, too. i hate the ideology that it’s wrong to dislike things. really, that’s one of my issues with fame and misfortune: it seemed to be attacking the criticisms themselves (a lot of which were fair) rather than the way people were criticizing (which goes from good to holy fuck chill out dude).

@gingerninja666  
mirror magic was bad across the board though. slightly bitchier margaret thatcher was so lame she was like a parody of an equestria girls villain, and it just went downhill from there.  

i seriously think they spent more time designing starlight’s equestria girls design than they did collectively anything else in that episode.

@Dustcan  
@Mikey  
you guys don’t have to be here at all times. you can let us have our discussion and then come back when it shifts. that’s what i’d do.
gingerninja666

Kaze ni Nare
@EotD

To me being put at the forefront of things isn’t quite the same as the type of shilling that annoys me. Mirror Magic was dissapointing because there was literally no story reason why Starlight had to be the one to save the day.

I feel like in things like TWABA, School Daze, Rock Solid. there’s more reason for why she was in the roles that she was in.
Twi Clown
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
@EotD

I actually disliked her in the cutie map as a character. And then there’s the cutie remark which…………at this point rabid and angry fans already got me in this one there’s nothing new I can add here. And then there’s the season six, she barely appeared but when she did it feels like if there was some shilling beforehand (thought that was only half of the problem, the other half that actually caused riff was the Badass Decay starting to kick in within the Mane 6, which combined with the Starlight shilling, the results weren’t pretty). Season 7 did make me like a bit Starlight, althought just a bit, and season 8……I don’t know, she’s kinda main character/side character so she doesn’t stand up very often.

The problem is that when there’s something I don’t like, talking too much about it burns me out. Even today my opinion of Starlight is very weak and very in-the-middle.
Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
@DanielTepesKraus  
Not sure about them attacking the criticisms themselves at least as much as the rabid nature of media consumers. Only Twi, Rarity, & Fluttershy got taken to task while the Remane 3 has obnoxious fans. But what would’ve made it not attacking criticisms at all would be having pony folk give criticism in constructive ways.
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME

will return
@Jarkes  
i meant writing flaws, not in-universe flaws. admittedly though i mostly call her “suelight” because it’s funny, like when i call a certain episode “spike at your cervix” or juniper montage “slightly bitchier margaret thatcher”. i value passion and comedy in comments and posts.

@Vivace  
thing is we only see those criticisms presented in a negative light, and they weren’t shy at all about how the only two “good” fans in the episode loved the material 100% and felt it was life-changing.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
@Mikey  
The amount of hate you have for me and how you immediately drop by waving your Mod badge when I have an opinion you hate says “hi”. :)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide