can someone tell me where to improve in my sketch?

prince elusive
Artist -

the lost faith
Lately i have been doing sketches. I am unsure how i will progress. I know i get a lot of hate here but i need some pointers on improvement. Here is a sketch below.

full

Anything that i could to improve please let me know. i am willing to listen… honest. sighs
Soul Dew
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Hoof Boi
Really, my only recommendation is to just keep drawing. Try to do a sketch as often as possible. The more pictures you draw, the better you’ll get at it.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
Learning art is like learning everything else: you need some kind of guide from someone who already knows how to do it in order to practice, whether it’s having someone teach you, watch someone does it, or view books, tutorials, etc. Practicing without knowing what and how to practice is like trying to go to a place without a map or a guide of any kind; you may improve, but more likely not.

If you have some good, affordable art classes in your area, you can try that. If not, find some good book or online course. Book wise, many artists recommend “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain”. The science behind it is false, and the tools it asks for is not really necessary, but it apparently offers a good way to learn to draw (that’s what they say at least, I haven’t gone through that book yet).

For online course, there’s this one on reddit, drawabox. It’s free, has good lessons AND you get feedback from an actual artist, which is invaluable for learning. The lessons are not impossible, but does require a lot of time and patience (if you spend 1 hour on it a day, don’t expect it to take less than 2 months to complete). The result from the people learning from it is quite good though.

tl;dr:

practicing = time spent

practicing + good guidance = improvement
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
For drawing pones specifically, there’s some fantastic guides right here on the site under the Tutorial tag if you’re willing to take a peruse through that. Here’s a few good ones I know of:

Spoilered for a “naughty bits” section at the bottom  
||full ||

full

full

full
luna the great!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Alicorn enthusiast
Practice and use references, basically what’s been said. And try not to copy someone else’s art style, besides not being unique you’ll end up making the same mistakes they do!
Background Pony #A800
You shouldn’t get any hate at all here. No one is born a great artist it takes years if not decades to learn to draw and it’s really, really, hard!

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of ‘noob bashing’ that goes on here. Just like anywhere else on the internet I suppose. But people never seem to offer advice on pictures here, even when it’s in the site rules to offer constructive feedback, not just bash pictures which drive artists away. Which it does. It hardly gives you confidence to keep going when someone who hasn’t even bothered to upload anything they made themselves describe your art as an “abomination”.

If you find this site too hostile for noob artists like I did, I would suggest the MLP: ATG alumni on Deviantart. Everyone’s much more supportive and non-judgmental there.  
http://mlp-atg-alumni.deviantart.com/
Background Pony #7149
After you draw from reference, check what you’ve drawn against the reference by putting one on top of the other. That’s the only way to find your mistakes and learn from them.  
First time I ever tried drawing a pony, redlined  
I didn’t even realize the head was far too small before dropping it over the reference pic.
Vivacious Sun

This might be a bit verbose, but here goes.

As has been shared above, I’ll reiterate, because it really is important that it is underlined for ANY aspiring artist:

Talent is trumped by practice. You will discover where you are good at drawing after having spent a significant amount of time doing it, ergo talent is also emergent from practice.

#1) Realize that pro artists that get all the faves have spent years learning their craft, figuring out anatomy, and building a visual library of ‘How stuff is supposed to look’ by virtue of simply drawing. This equates hundreds upon hundreds of napkin sketches, targeted studies, drawing for leisure, and then the actual pieces that have been published somewhere.

#2) In order to improve in general, you’re going to have to find within yourself the drive to go the distance. This can come from a personal interest in art/creativity, a target up ahead you want to reach, or a dedicated desire to improve upon the skill.

#3) Art depicting a subject that already exists is in essence an attempt to replicate what have already been drawn, or that which can be found around you. Find the artists/objects that you feel personally inspired by and start to attempt free-hand replicating their work as a form of practice. You are eventually going to feel a need to branch out, but every time you draw you will gain something from the experience.. if only an increased mastery in various proportions.

#4) Acquire tools of the trade as fits your goals, budget, and interests.. and familiarize yourself with them via applied use. Buying the cheapest tablet and downloading GIMP or w/e is roughly equal to applying a pencil to a sheet of copy-paper, it can provide everything you will ever want/need or form the first stepping stone.

#5) You are not alone. As we speak there are artists everywhere striving to improve themselves, plying their craft with all manner of mastery. Every single one of the people who have reached the top still have something they can learn, and have once upon a time drawn stick figures too.

What does this equate?

Well, first and foremost in this internet era there is no longer any excuse to not know practically anything. With a quick flick of the google-fu you can have at your fingertips anything from a full youtube guide to this very forum thread.

Your aptitude is only limited by your conviction, and desire. Seek out your dream, and claim it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide