Question on crossovers

IrieMangaStudios
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I am trending on a tricky subject of crossovers. I know that some hear do not like them, others enjoy the match up. I fall onto the latter, mostly on the comparison aspect. While I do enjoy pairing up characters of MLP and One piece together, I was considering of expanding to Sonic turf, however, the stigma of uninspired artwork and shipping tend to leave a lot of people like myself in a hurl-like state.

While practicing/polishing fan-art I don’t really take fandom opinion of other shows or how bad a series or game turns out. I mostly do it for the design, appeal and the overall characters and give the best representation of those characters when mixed together as well as theme.

This brings me to this inquiry:

What would you like to see done in a crossover with Sonic and MLP?

Like with One Piece (I follow and enjoy both shows and I have hope that my work reflects a decent representation in the spirit of both shows); I have seen some potential with Sonic however, I do see a LOT of artists stuck on shipping every Sonic character with every MLP. And while I am not that strongly familiar with Sonic characters, I might think there are some worth while visuals that could be seen.

This thread is not all about Sonic or One Piece with MLP, but the topic of what make a good crossover to the viewer. Is it MLP dressed up characters of other shows? Interactions with other shows? Hell, even crack shipping with other shows (mordeTwi, SpiderTwi, DipperTwi, etc.)?
Sono
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Crossover fics, like crossover video games and comics, are all about being fun. Don’t worry about logic. Though, it should still be cohesive in the sense the characters are written in character and with chemistry with one another, that’s what makes crossovers fun, the character interactions and playing off of each others quirks. I will say though the two different franchises/worlds should have some common ground in theme with each other that would make the crossover work. This works perfectly with MLP and Sonic, neon colored critters, whacky powers, toon logic, and even comparable sizes(small humanoids with small horses).

If you’re interested in writing some Sonic/MLP fics, just go to the Sonic wikia and read up on the characters, PREFERABLY, the ones people actually like, or, characters people dislike in both franchises, as a means of parodying what people don’t like about them/seeing them kill eachother or something. I would avoid doing anything with Silver (I don’t dislike him, but he gets a bad knee jerk reaction from a lot of people) and edgy Shadow(use the Shadow that’s more of a mercenary, not the angst-y one).

Here’s an idea to roll with, Blaze the Cat and Princess Twilight, specifically, Twilight is able to do her Rapidash thing on command :P

Sonic and Rainbow Dash competing or screwing is done to death, but you can do a lot with those two :P

Oh and, avoid edgy/serious crossover fics. It’s just plain impossible to take seriously, even Fallout Equestria, which really only gets the praise it gets because of the quirky things encountered in the actual games, but with ponies.
trashboat

Professionally Depressed
Crossovers huh?

Well While We’re on the Topic, Let’s look at one of my Favorite Crossover related things Ever

The Super robot taisen/wars Games

It’s Fun, Everyone’s In character (And Some are actually made Better)

And It manages to Make sense out of everything being set in the Same universe, For Example, The One year war from Gundam is put to a Premature end when The Ship that would Become the Macross falls to earth
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide