Why do some artists not want there work reposted

Firenze

This thread is… why. Ok Im going to take you on my view (because I have been thinking about putting myself on the Do Not Post list for a while).

I am honestly trying to make a career from art, and take myself into concept art in games. I post my stuff on tumblr and occassionally on Deviantart (I usually forget to do it there) as I know where it is, I can see it and what attention it gets .etc. If people start posting it elsewhere, there goes any control I had previously. People can post without tags, without any sourcing at all. Hell some people can claim it as their own.

You see the problem? For instance I had no idea till about a couple of months ago that a bunch of my stuff was on here. Literally no clue. A bunch of it I wouldn’t even have wanted posting, because I dont actually LIKE that work I did and dont want to show it off.

Some people want to keep a little more control on the work they put hours of effort into.
Vox
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

It’s even worse when the people that’re freaking out used a CC-BY license (IE, legal to distribute with proper attribution) for the piece.. Can’t tell you how many people I’ve seen on dA complaining about “thieves” reposting their work legally, going on about how it’s copyrighted and they could sue them and stuff.

I suspect that it’s largely out of some latent feelings of powerlessness, though the fact that the larger art community seems to support such behaviour doesn’t help anything.
TheInstranomical

This thread is… why. Ok Im going to take you on my view (because I have been thinking about putting myself on the Do Not Post list for a while).
I am honestly trying to make a career from art, and take myself into concept art in games. I post my stuff on tumblr and occassionally on Deviantart (I usually forget to do it there) as I know where it is, I can see it and what attention it gets .etc. If people start posting it elsewhere, there goes any control I had previously. People can post without tags, without any sourcing at all. Hell some people can claim it as their own.
You see the problem? For instance I had no idea till about a couple of months ago that a bunch of my stuff was on here. Literally no clue. A bunch of it I wouldn’t even have wanted posting, because I dont actually LIKE that work I did and dont want to show it off.
Some people want to keep a little more control on the work they put hours of effort into.

Couldn’t you use a more restrictive license to prevent others from uploading your work without your permission? I’m not sure if tumblr has that feature, but IIRC, you can set your DA work to have a more restrictive license.
Firenze

@TheInstranomical
No, you still own the copyright to absolutely everything you post on dA. You only get options to give it a different, more open license.

Yup. Which is all the more annoying when people take the art from DA (which you set specifically to be non downloadable) and then they re-post it somewhere else with a rubbish quality screencap.
Vox
Artist -

@Firenze  
I get how that might apply to some sites where attribution isn’t likely, but I’m curious: What about the sites that’re likely to present full attribution, like Derpibooru? More to the point of what I’m asking, how could Derpibooru itself possibly impact your ability to pursue your career?

I realise someone’s probably going to say, “it’s copyrighted, end of story”… I know that. I’m just trying to understand the person’s mindset, copyrights aside.
Firenze

@Vox  
I think its more the fact that people like to at least have control over what is happening with the piece wherever it has been posted. For instance anything needing to be editted, or it has to be taken down for one reason or another .etc. With people reposting it it does make it a lot harder for the original artist to do that, even if they are creditted.

That being said, some people may only want art posted in certain places to help them garner attention for that specific thing (i.e. Webcomics .etc.)
-Fuchs-
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

well to give an artists opinion on that. i just want to have the control of what of my work is uploaded here. most of the time my gallery here is completely in sinc with the stuff i upload on my tumblr or on threads on 4chan. except for example stuff violating rules on derpibooru or simple sketches.or if i simply forget about it. and i had some issues with moronic “editors” or mspaint “colorists” or people who thought removing signatures and claiming stuff to be their own would be funny so i simply allow no uploads/edits of my stuff anymore.so its “artist upload only” simple as that. oh and beside that i really like to write descriptions on my own.

ps: to Grieffon and Kaz. people like you are the main reason for dnp-lists.
Vox
Artist -

@Fuchs  
Artist-upload-only makes perfect sense in that regard, but I’m left to wonder why most artists don’t bother with it; I could see some of them just not caring about it being on here, or not having time to do it themselves, but the straight-up DNP list just keeps growing and I can’t figure out what motivation these people would have for not wanting their work posted here at all, even if they were the ones to upload it. It renders all of the “lack of control” issues moot, while giving their art more visibility. Grieffon’s question still stands: if they didn’t want visibility for their art, why would they put it on a public dA/FA/Tumblr/Whatever?

(Also gotta thank you for keeping your stuff on here, else I’d have never seen your work.. Love your style! Very crisp.)
someguy111
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Some art can be DNP because it is controversial. I have art that is for me and only me and would make a lot of people upset I think if they were allowed access to it. Also there some things I feel are for only one person or a small group anyway even if it’s not controversial or otherwise goes against the headcanons of others, art that is not meant to be shared with others because it is supposed to be “pure” in a way, kind of like if your girlfriend sent you naked pictures, that’s meant for you only. I don’t think you or she would like it if some creep got a hold of them and posted them on the internet for all the others creeps out there.
Sono
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@someguy111  
Well that’s fine, but when an artist posts to a gallery website, they’re not keeping it to a small group of people, anyone can see it, If you want to keep the art private, don’t upload it in the first place <.> it’s that simple. It’s like the artists who degrade their own work with obnoxious and obtrusive watermarks, just don’t post it if you’re that scared people are going to steal it.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
Control over a gallery with your name on it is an important link to that gallery (or portfolio). Even if stuff pops up in random chan threads or forums or whatever, it’s still not linked directly to you and the rest of your works. So yeah, being able to have a “this is the stuff I’m proud of” set and being able to control that at all times can be important. We are, after all, a booru, and while for practically everything artists have the final say over what happens to their works, they still have to go through the mods.

Control over comments and tags is also a thing I see a lot in takedown reports. We get a lot of complaints over stuff like people interpreting harmless images as something creepy and getting a 30 comment thread about it, or the usual >rape type comments. People don’t want to see something they’ve made, scroll down and get a face full of creepy shit.

Which also leads on to edits. When somebody does something and sets it free unto the world, in most cases they’re proud of what they’ve done and it fits their vision. People editing things and putting a “fixed it” in the description is, regardless of how well intentioned it may have been, easily considered an insult. Most people are actually fine with these things as long as they get a heads up or even a chance to edit it themselves. And of course that’s not even mentioning all the edits that are very much not well intentioned and either deface the image to make a statement, to add a penis or something, to directly insult the artist or are just lazy memes.

And then there’s “the community”. Some people don’t want stuff here because they specifically don’t like this site or the users or the mods or “bronies”, for whatever reasons, and so don’t want anyone that frequents this place to enjoy anything they’ve done, at least not easily. The attitude some people have of “you uploaded it on the internet so it’s everyone’s now, deal with it” and, well, general sense of entitlement a lot of people give off (demanding changes to images, more art now, telling people what they should and shouldn’t be drawing, complaining that commission prices are too high, long etc.)* can be extremely off-putting.

There are a whole lot of reasons.

||*Words cannot describe how many times I’ve wanted to tear into people for being so damn petty or demanding or outright insulting, and god knows I fail a lot at holding back as is.||
someguy111

@The Smiling Pony  
And then there’s “the community”. Some people don’t want stuff here because they specifically don’t like this site or the users or the mods or “bronies”, for whatever reasons, and so don’t want anyone that frequents this place to enjoy anything they’ve done, at least not easily. The attitude some people have of “you uploaded it on the internet so it’s everyone’s now, deal with it” and, well, general sense of entitlement a lot of people give off (demanding changes to images, more art now, telling people what they should and shouldn’t be drawing, complaining that commission prices are too high, long etc.) can be extremely off-putting.*

This.

If I made a very fine wine, I would only want to share it with wine connoisseurs instead of a bunch of stupid college frat boys looking to get drunk, same with art that you are really proud of or art that is for certain people only being shared with 4chan.

As I said before

“art that is not meant to be shared with others because it is supposed to be “pure” in a way, kind of like if your girlfriend sent you naked pictures, that’s meant for you only. I don’t think you or she would like it if some creep got a hold of them and posted them on the internet for all the others creeps out there.”
Sono
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@someguy111  
But in this case we are uploading them to the internet(the art) so…? Kind of a double standard if you ask me. Back to the “fine wine” example, yes that makes sense, but if we’re comparing to posting on the internet, it’s more like going to a public square and saying “Only certain people are allowed to taste, everyone else fuck off” Why are we in a public square? You see the problem I’m trying to bring up here?

I really don’t care what people do with their stuff or where they do want it posted and do not want it posted, but when an artist expects the internet to be nice to them and cater to how exactly they want things to go, that’s very demanding and unrealistic, and will be sure to cause a lot of nasty fights.
someguy111

@Sono  
I don’t consider the internet a public square; there are sites dedicated to specific things such as this one. You wouldn’t post art of cats or pics of your car here right? When someone does not allow an upload of their work, they are doing to to make it unaccessible to a certain site or sites that they feel it does not belong on; they only want it to be accessible to a certain group that a specific site has.
Firenze

I post my stuff only to my Deviantart, Tumblr and CGA blog for university. Literally nothing by me on here was posted by me, not a single picture, and I knew nothing about it. While its kinda cool the fact someone liked my art and wanted to share it, the least people can do is ask, even if its sourced correctly.

@The Smiling Pony  
snip

I literally agree with pretty much everything you have said. As an example, my Deviantart is actually my portfolio (until I get myself a personal site sorted properly) and I want to at least try and control what happens to the stuff. In terms of edits, this actually has happened to me a couple of times. Both times I’ve had to report people for it… which I hate doing, especially when the image doesnt actually have a download, and was made purely for a print to be sold at BC. Its kinda insulting sometimes.

And Sono, wanting people on the internet to not post things elsewhere without permission isnt being demanding, its about respecting the artists work.
Phobia
Artist -

I’ve only had a couple things by me posted on here. It happens too rarely for me and I find it to be an honor.

Probably because I suck…
luna the great!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Alicorn enthusiast
I’ve had a few works posted by other people but it gets confusing because they sometimes get my name wrong and I have to fix it. But I also consider it an honour, I mean, I don’t know who wastes their time posting my stuff but it’s nice to know someone likes it. I usually only post my very best things but then someone uploads a sketch or something that I’m not really proud of, but I don’t want to be on the DNP list…

Maybe they just don’t care for Derpibooru.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide