9/11 jokes, when in good taste: Funny or not funny?

Maskarade

Since that picture got uploaded: >>363993 (deleted)  
A lot of opinions were thrown out. I’m not saying that picture has good taste, but can 9/11 jokes be funny? Do we worry about 9/11, more than other tragedies, just beacuse it was in America? What is fair and unfair? Use this forum to share your opinions.
Trickquestion
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Didn’t Dan Vs. actually do a 9/11 joke? I can’t quite remember if that’s what they were referencing, because of the obvious subtle delivery.
Background Pony #172D
I couldn’t care less about the joke. What I hate is that the majority of these offensive “jokes” aren’t made in the interest of humor but in the interest in causing arguments and spreading hate. The comment section in that image (before deletion) was volatile and many people were being absolutely hostile to anyone who didn’t find the post to be completely hilarious.

For example:  
BP1: “I’m not sure if I find this funny…”  
BP2: “Wow you fat American get over 9/11 already. This sort of shit happens in the world all the time. You’re just some person with false morals pretending to support something that happened a decade ago just so you can have some fleeting feeling of self-importance.”

Like I said, I don’t care about the content. But why is such hate necessary?
sentinel28a

I think Americans care more about 9/11 because, well, it killed nearly 3000 Americans. British folks might care more about the London tube bombings, and Spaniards the train bombings. We Americans live here; of course we care about it.

And uploading something like this on July 4? That’s trolling. That’s just some fool looking for lots of attention, because apparently he or she can’t get any in real life. So making fun of a senseless massacre is the best way they can think of, because they know it’ll piss people off. It’s actually kind of pathetic, that this is the only way they can get their rocks off.
sentinel28a

I think Americans care more about 9/11 because, well, it killed nearly 3000 Americans. British folks might care more about the London tube bombings, and Spaniards the train bombings. We Americans live here; of course we care about it.

And uploading something like this on July 4? That’s trolling. That’s just some fool looking for lots of attention, because apparently he or she can’t get any in real life. So making fun of a senseless massacre is the best way they can think of, because they know it’ll piss people off. It’s actually kind of pathetic, that this is the only way they can get their rocks off.
Kazapsky
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Five scoops of ice cream
@Background Pony

Maybe because BP2 in your example happens to be right? The rest of the world would like to do stuff on September 11th once in a while without the “MERICUH FUCK YEAH” crowd trying to tar and feather them for it, thank you very much.
gasmaskangel
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -
Since the Beginning  -

I’m of the opinion that 9/11 jokes are automatically in bad taste, but sometimes bad taste is funny as hell. I believe you can joke about anything and be funny, but when you joke about something in bad taste like mass murder or rape you have to be damn sure what you’re doing is actually funny.

Team America used 9/11 as a punchline to about half the jokes in the movie and they were hilarious. The post in question was basically about as funny as someone taking a shit on my couch and then going “you mad?” while poking me in the chest.

@Background Pony  
It was an animation of Derpy flying into one of the towers.

@Kazapsky  
Is Americans running through the streets on every September the eleventh forcing everyone to be sad really a problem in your country? Because it doesn’t really happen at all in America. Sounds to me more like you just want to be an asshole.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
Image deleted, and google didn’t cache the page in time, unfortunately.

Regardless, yes 9/11 jokes can be funny, even if none spring to mind right at this moment. Some people will be offended by them, sure, but for those of us unaffected (I was more affected by the Christchurch earthquake than 9/11, for example), we can still joke about it.

I actually find 9/11 itself hilariously tragic, mainly because I’m fully aware of the history surrounding american foreign relations to know how and why and what led up to it. Put simply, I find it funny because, like other negative outcomes (or what the CIA terms ‘blowback’), this is pretty much america’s doing. Yes, it’s sad that so many people died for little reason, and yes, they did not deserve to die for something that they probably didn’t play a direct part in…but you have to realise that something like this was coming, just like all the drone strikes that Obama is carrying out in Pakistan, Yemen, et cetera is going to have negative repercussions on america as a whole.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Ebalosus  
It was >>95603 with the added caption “Happy USA Day!”. The original is bad enough as it is, but did have some effort put into it; the simple added caption pushes it from “horrible and tactless” to “blatant trolling” and “cheap edit”, which is clearly against Rule #5.
Kazapsky

Five scoops of ice cream
@gasmaskangel

I have the good fortune not to have to deal with loudmouth “Mericans” face-to-face. The ‘net, on the other hand, gives those people global megaphones which they will gleefully use to harass anyone who suggests 9/11/01 was not the worst atrocity in the history of the world. Dig back a few pages in any given history book and you can find quite a few examples of 9/11 being outdone. Other than the Holocaust, nobody will bawl you out for making jokes about the numerous slaughters that pervade human history. 9/11 can’t hold a broken candle to the ‘Caust, end of discussion.

The fact that another, similarly loud-and-proud group, colloquially known as “Truthers”, also will not shut up about their own repeatedly-debunked version of events simply makes things worse.

I am sick to death of being reminded of one day twelve fucking years ago, and I’m not exactly alone. It’s one of the more blatant examples of the good ol’ USA thinking it’s the center of the universe, which is the root of most of your diplomatic problems BTW.
gasmaskangel
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -
Since the Beginning  -

@Kazapsky  
Several things. Yes there are a great many atrocities that far surpass 9/11 in terms of lives lost and human suffering, however 9/11 was one of the first of the internet age and the most televised and publicized one in the lifetime of the majority of people using the internet, largely because unlike the multiple acts of ethnic cleansing that brutalized the Balkan states, no one was trying to conceal it.

Secondly, yes, every thinking person agrees that the truthers are idiots and assholes.

Third, that’s right. Americans are the only people on Earth prone to arrogant nationalism, ill advised foreign adventurism and whatever else stereotypes you would care to throw out there. I notice you forgot to imply fat we’re all fat and lazy, and that totally removes the right for all 316,176,000 of us to be traumatized or affected by a widely publicized terrorist attack.

I wonder if you’d be telling Holocaust survivors to shut up if enough of them were still alive?
♥♥Princess♥♥Celestia♥♥
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Bestia
@gasmaskangel

Gotta wonder why it’s only americans that get told get over it.  
Oh hey! Here’s a novel idea! Look at the Japan, all those people who lost lives and family. Pffff wimps! It happened a year ago! Why don’t they just fucking get it over it, the little bitches!

And it seems like only a Americans get blamed. To me it seems the OTHER countries are being pretty damn arrogant too!!!! Maybe the shit (Not talking about 9/11, other problems) that happens is partially their fault too and they just cant FUCKING OWN UP TO IT!!!

Yes I am mad.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
People try too hard sometimes. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that people can be massive hypocrites about petty nationalism.
Background Pony #172D
To all of you complaining about the mourning/ nationalism of Americans on September 11: Get the fuck over it. We’re not even in your country. We may even be separated by a huge ocean. Why don’t you quit worrying about what we do with our time?

Only idiots let what people countries away do ruin their day. Grow up.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide