Automotive enthusiasts?

midob

E9th, C6
@kleptomage
For lulz more than anything, a middle finger to legislation; if a loophope exists it must be exploited. Way more interesting than just buying a Lamborghini or something.
An RV would also be nice.
RD4590
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Vortex Clipper
If I won the lottery/came into some serious money I’d build a custom human powered bus, same dimensions as a full sized diesel bus only every seat has pedals, all pedals are connected to a massive flywheel which then drives a conventional gearbox with clutch, chassis would be alloy with fiberglass bodywork. Legally you could add a motor up to 300w constantly adding inertia to the flywheel and it’d still be classed as a pedal assisted quadricycle.
After hiring a pedaling crew I’d drive it on the public highway, without registration or insurance and it’d be completely legal as it’s not a “motor vehicle”.
This is a fantasy I’ve had for some years now.
Hahahaaa this is hilarous.
Trouble is your legal top speed is 15mph. Good thing is nobody’s gonna scold you for being a cyclist. :P
Oh hey you know the pedal-powered Porsche 911?
Got my car back from the body shop. Now I just need a new windshield (my last windshield job was done by SafeLite, and is probably under warranty;) and a new emissions control information sticker.
Good to get out of that Ford Siesta and back into my xB!
Savvy. How long did it take?
midob

E9th, C6
Oh hey you know the pedal-powered Porsche 911?
Hah that’s awesome, must be really confusing for other motorists.
Trouble is your legal top speed is 15mph.
Yeah electronic assist has to cut off at 15mph+ but you’re allowed to pedal or freewheel beyond that.
midob

E9th, C6
5 speed manual.
A wise choice.
Who’s got some good beginner mods they can recommend?
I’m not familiar with that vehicle or engine, V8’s are very rare here.
A decent mechanical siren would be an interesting addition 😁
RD4590
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Vortex Clipper
I just realized Cadillac is a good option for me too.
Cadillac races in Daytona and Le Mans and their cars are direcly compared with BMW. Therefore it should drive like a proper sports car. And it’s big so my parents would like it, and it could rival/trump a Jaguar. And they’re very cheap in China. Win-win.
Now to find a V6 in a good nick.
@ACApenetrator50
direct injection maybe? XD
kleptomage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@RD4590
Cadillac is a frustrating brand to me. Cadillac has basically spent the last 20 years flailing around trying to figure out what they want to be. First they wanted to be the new BMW with sports sedans but they didn’t put in the effort to be taken seriously. Then when everyone wanted crossovers and SUVs, they became about rebadged Chevrolets. Now they want to be an electric brand with a $300k sedan.
Anyway, the CTS-V, the CT6 with the twin turbo, the V series and Blackwing models of the CT4 and CT5, and of course the Escalade are supposed to be excellent vehicles. In recent years they even got rid of that horrible glossy black panel in the center console so the interiors are finally better.
midob

E9th, C6
@ACApenetrator50
That’d be sweet, I’d recommend the legendary Cummins “12 valve” 5.9L, ultra bulletproof, ultra moddable and sounds awesome.
Or for ultimate impracticality, yet sheer awesomeness the IDI 7.3L; I’m not usually an advocate for indirect injection engines, but the 7.3L is such a lovely sounding engine I give it exemption, also they run alternative fuels very well.
kleptomage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@RD4590
The Escalade is like the modern version of the old Cadillac landyachts. It’s a status symbol. The point is to be huge and flashy.
I kind of like GM’s full size SUVs. They look good and are very capable. If not for the ridiculous prices, horrible fuel economy, and the problems with cylinder deactivation on the V8s*, I might have bought one.
*My neighbor’s Silverado needed the whole engine replaced at about 20,000 miles. That’s completely unacceptable.
midob

E9th, C6
@kleptomage
I’ve not had any experience with Cadilac’s. We don’t have them in Britain, bar the odd one that’s imported.
If they’re anything like other General Motors vehicles I’d steer well clear of them, every GM car I’ve worked on I’ve considerd utter shite; crap engines, poor handling, poor quality interiors, temperamental electrics.
midob

E9th, C6
A bit of a rant that’s been stuck in my head for a while:
Rudolf Diesel would be devastated to see what the diesel engine has become, an engine originally pioneered for it’s ability to run alternative fuels and operate entirely without electricity (A mechanical diesel engine is completely EMP proof).
Diesel engines have now become an overcomplicated mess, heavily reliant on electronics, sensors and are equipped with emission systems that ruin efficiency and reliability. EGR, SCR, DPF, I know these things are neccesery to meet modern emission standards, but they often contradict purposes.
Examples:
  • EGR reduces NOx, increases PM, CO, BSFC (alters A/F ratio) and causes the turbo to take longer to spool (less airflow).
  • DPF captures PM, increases BSFC (exhaust backpressure, regeneration), large soot particles are burned during regeration, turning them into smaller (more harmful) particles. Each regeration dilutes the engine oil with diesel on engines that use post injection for regen, NOx output is high during regen.
  • SCR, probably the most effective emission control technology yet, it’s tried and tested, has been in use on lorries in Europe for the past decade. However I doubt the manafacture, packaging and transport of urea soloution (AdBlue) offsets the NOx reduced in vehicles using SCR.
  • These emission systems usually require ULSD to avoid damage to components, which rules limits the use of alternative fuels.
Despite all this I don’t dislike the common rail diesel (without emission systems), it’s design resolved a lot of long standing issues with the diesel engine and is perhaps the one of the most underappreciated technological advancements in modern history; hard to believe it was originally developed by Fiat.
RD4590
Artist -

Vortex Clipper
A bit of a rant that’s been stuck in my head for a while:
Rudolf Diesel would be devastated to see what the diesel engine has become, an engine originally pioneered for it’s ability to run alternative fuels and operate entirely without electricity (A mechanical diesel engine is completely EMP proof).
Diesel engines have now become an overcomplicated mess, heavily reliant on electronics, sensors and are equipped with emission systems that ruin efficiency and reliability. EGR, SCR, DPF, I know these things are neccesery to meet modern emission standards, but they often contradict purposes.
They’re still quite simple and robust on military vehicles, because obviously they’re not designed to be sustainable.
I’m sure all the oppression against diesel cars has its strategic purpose. Cars may not run on diesel but industrial and military engines must. If there is a shortage, diesel and kerosene should be prioritized to them. But they could not publicly announce it, so they resorted to taxation.
RD4590
Artist -

Vortex Clipper
@kleptomage
The Lincoln Navigator, Escalade’s direct rival by Ford. Are almost non-existent on the road.
Where does Lincoln make most of their revenues from? Contract fleets?
Not sure about the rest of the world but they’ve been growing in China for 30 years.
@kleptomage
If they’re anything like other General Motors vehicles I’d steer well clear of them, every GM car I’ve worked on I’ve considerd utter shite; crap engines, poor handling, poor quality interiors, temperamental electrics.
I agree. But Vauxhalls are not that bad after the Vectra, are they?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide