Pony Venting Thread

Latecomer

@[Ω]  
But Tracey doesn’t clash with the show formula either - or course, he was a replacement rather than an addition, which has it;s own issues.

@[Ω]  
Twilight worked very hard to achieve her magic level
I have seen episodes about Twilight pulling out spells with relative ease in early seasons. Hech, her buttmark is a freaking symbol of magic. And a lot of appearances as a young filly despicts her as a prodigy. Didnt she learned to use Sombra’s spell after just watching Celestia using it one time for few seconds?

Iv’s true, but showing her always working hard at magic and studying mitigates the effect.

@Anonycat  
While we never got a full picture of Starlight’s background, to her detriment. But she’s certainly socially maladjusted.

@Jarkes  
More or less, yeah. Contrasting her return appearance.

@AC97  
Well, sauing she’s vhe onlu one even close could be indicating the incomprabilitu of regular unicorns. What Trixie matches Twilight in is flexibility - she can cast all kinds of magic, just not on ani great scale. (Contrast Shining Armour, who can cast a shield much stronger than Twilight’s but not much else, or Sunburst, whose power level is even lower than Trixie’s.)
northern haste
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Enter if you dare
People continue to complain about “meme faces” in season 8 and 9 is reminding me a bit up some points around season 6 someone kept saying that expressions in that season were going to scare the little girls
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
@Latecomer  
Thats what I said.  
“Poochies” are created depending in their debut.

I think “Scrappy” is the right word for this. For Starlight, its more about a “Base-Breaking” character.
Jarkes
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@northern haste

To be fair some of the expressions in seasons 6 & 7 were just a LITTLE bit much. (Like Pinkie’s bloodshot eyes in the episode “Secrets and Pies”) Ironically the last two seasons ended up scaling things back on that.
Jarkes
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@Dustcan

If I remember right Sibsy was the one responsible for a lot of the crazy faces for the first 6 seasons (since she left the show after season 6). I guess some of the folks who were still there for the rest of the show wanted to try and top hers?
Background Pony #8FE2
@Latecomer  
The student 6. Stsrlight was intoduced in S5 and made a main character in S6. We got 3 seasons to get to know her. The student 6 were introduced in the last 2 seasons of the show, not nearly enough time to get to know them and flesh them out as secondary main characters since, unlike with the original Main 7 characters, the two seasons the student six were introduced in didn’t revolve completely around them or their adventures.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Latecomer

I think I should note that the reason I brought up Shining was in the context of power; he’d managed to power up a villain to being able to outright one up Celestia in a fight, with his fed on love.

In any case, regarding Twilight, it’s actually noticeable that she seems to learn better from observation, practical knowledge, than she does by books, for all she insists on the value of the latter method of learning, because she only teleported in the series premiere after being subjected to it herself by Nightmare Moon, and she’s copied spells after seeing others do them once on numerous occasions.

I’m not sure that Starlight has demonstrated that exact thing before, has she?

…And as for weaknesses Starlight has, she’s not exactly always emotionally stable, she’s still a Squishy Wizard unicorn, and therefore not inherently that durable (Rainbow Dash, and to a lesser extent Applejack could likely blindside her with an attack that would at least break multiple bones, minimum), and her physical strength isn’t much to write home about, even if her agility in the sense of “dodging” appears to be decent, she can’t outperform say, Tempest in CQB; explicitly demonstrated by how hard Chrysalis threw her around effortlessly, in S6, when she wasn’t in a good situation to be able to fight back.
Latecomer

@Background Pony #8FE2  
But theu were still fitting and popular. I don’t think being characters peoples main regret is we didn’t get enough of them is a Poochie thing…

@AC97  
In any case, regarding Twilight, it’s actually noticeable that she seems to learn better from observation, practical knowledge, than she does by books, for all she insists on the value of the latter method of learning, because she only teleported in the series premiere after being subjected to it herself by Nightmare Moon, and she’s copied spells after seeing others do them once on numerous occasions.

i know, right? And I bet it would really burn her up to admit it…

And i personally consider Starlight’s talent to be “unwise use of magic” - she can do things nopony else thought possible, like messing with cutie marks and time, but when it blows up it blows up big. Dunno if the show reallu supports this, but it works as a concept IMO.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Well that blew up a little.

I think “Mary Sue” is also a bad term to use in general, because there’s a lot of confirmation bias involved. As a baseline, main characters are going to be some combination of interesting, unique, competent and important; that’s why you’re bothering to tell a story about them in the first place.

Guess what traits set off the Sue Alarm.

Really, “Mary Sue” is a slight-of-hand. It’s a made-up internet word that lets you skim over a bunch of variables and validate your own dislike of a character. If you want to label a main character as one, then you’re almost guaranteed to be able to, because of the traits inherent to main characters. If you don’t want to, then you’ll just convince yourself that the label doesn’t apply in that instance.

If you’re applying the label consistently, then Starlight should barely register when compared to Twilight.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@DerpyFast  
@northern haste  
Yeah, I kinda hate the term “Mary-Sue” too.

And I kinda agree, Twilight is probably more “Sue-like,” though I don’t consider her one. I remember back when she first controversialy became an alicorn that’s when many actually started calling her one, and using it as an excuse to hate her. Then Starlight came along, andsuddenly she’s the “Sue,” then people started saying that about Flurry Heart, then later the “Student Six.”

There’s always a scapegoat, or character/s that “ruined the show forever.” Heck, I remember in the Season 1 days, some claimed the CMC were ruining the show. So honestly, it’s nothing new, nor a cause for concern.

Honestly, I can’t think of a single MLP character I actually “dislike” that much that I’d stop watching.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@northern haste  
That’s why I don’t understand why some fans complain that the later seasons were more “Twilight-centric,” or “Twilight-Sue-ish.”

Honestly, she was more prevalent, and shoe-horned in Season 1 then any other season. That’s why “Lesson Zero” was made, so she wouldn’t have to be forced in all the time, or be the one writing the letter/learning the lesson.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide