Would you be okay with a canon autist/aspie?

deactivated571477
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

The autism spectrum is something almost every brony is associated with in some way or another, whether they’re on it, a friend who recommended it to them is on it, or a brony friend of their’s is on it. I have very mild aspergers and know some other aspie bronies, so there’s at least some merit to what I’m saying. Then again, autism isn’t an uncommon thing. The number of people born with it have grown exponentially over the years and more media attention has been brought to it.

I know the show would find this to be a hard subject to tackle, even if their target demographic of young children is filled with more autists/aspies by the year. In the rare, unpredictable circumstance that they do decide to portray autism on the show:  
A) In your opinion, who should be affected? A new character, a main character or a background character?  
B) What would the lesson be about? Trying to make friends despite being socially handicapped, learning how to make friends with somepony with autism, etc.  
C) Should they play up or downplay autistic stereotypes? This depends on the circumstances of the plot more than anything.  
D) Should it even be referred to by name? If so, should it be the focus, or just mentioned in passing?
Background Pony #5BDC
@EmployeeAMillion  
I thought at least one of Pinkie Pie’s sisters probably has autism, though I really wouldn’t notice the signs of autism myself. If they do have or introduce a new character with that trait, I think it would be okay if the main characters notice that they’re a bit different, but try to help them with a friendship problem, or help them make friends anyways.

I’m sure someone else would have good ideas and opinions, I’m not very knowledgeable about this subject.
Background Pony #3DD3
According to TVTropes, show already full of psychologically disabled ponies and creatures, so… Well, they think show makes positive lessons, so no need to worry.
Background Pony #2353
@RaineV1  
No, you are just not understanding autism.  
There are many different forms of it and most understand the world just fine and are also capable of interacting with others in some way.  
Maud’s exact behaviour can be a form of autism along with a lot of other behaviors ponies from the show have. Unfortunately people often think that autistic and stupid are one and the same thing even tho some autists are incredible geniuses.  
I think the show would probably screw up talking about such a topic as it is too complex for it.
CatsTuxedo
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

As long as Maud and Twilight are around for people to speculate on, it isn’t necessary. Besides, society should work towards treating and preventing mental disorders rather than indulging and normalizing them.
Ferrotter
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

The show’s had prominent autistic characters since Twilight’s first appearance in S01E01. I don’t think there’s any need to call it out.
Poison Trail
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Normalization, as in having a character shown to have the condition but without having it become the center of attention would be the best way to go about it, but sadly that happens all too rarely in the media. Most of the time you end up with “token” characters which embodies the characteristic to such an extreme they paint the condition negatively. That or the opposite of having it glorified to the point of grotesque like in “Flutter Brutter”…. ughh.

The way things are currently, with some characters arguably having aspects of the disorder is just fine.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide