Speech vs Dialogue

Brokedownandmadeone
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
This was discussed in the general tag thread, but I feel it’d be better suited to it’s own thread for finality.  
The way I see it, the two tags should stay separate, and follow these guidelines:  
Dialogue, as it already stands:
For images with speech bubbles, or other such writing indicating characters talking.
Images with generic non-speech or otherwise general text should be tagged with text instead.

And speech (alias:public speaking ) with this definition/guideline:
Public speaking (also called oratory or oration) is the process or act of performing a speech to a live audience.
Brokedownandmadeone
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
The above linked posts:  
@Background Pony #A8E1  
For images such as >>1560605 should they be tagged as “speech” or “dialogue”? I’m thinking of speech, but I’m not sure.
@Background Pony #A8E1
I didn’t even know we had a speech tag. I only ever use dialogue or (in addition) speech bubble if there are actual speech bubbles.
I’ve been tagging pictures where just 1 character talks as speech. Not sure if that’s fine, given that dialogue involves two or more people. Is there a better term? Does it count as monologue if they’re talking, but there’s no response?
@Background Pony #A8E1
The word “speech”, to me, only implies that someone is talking. I don’t see any issue with tagging “speech” on a picture with just person, as long as spoken speech is present.
@Background Pony #A8E1
I always tag dialogue. Didn’t even know we have a speech tag. Though, looking at the tag history, that mostly seems to get tagged by one user.
@Background Pony #A8E1
Keep in mind that “speech” has another definition (i.e. to give a speech), and that might be what it was originally meant for. It looks like it’s been rather aggressively retagged over the last few months… 35 pages worth of aggressive tagging, I might add, so I couldn’t say what it’s original use was at the moment.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
On my understanding, dialogue is not supposed to be tagged when it’s only one character talking.
Brokedownandmadeone
Non-Fungible Trixie -

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
Since there’s recent discussion on it again, I figure I can bring up an issue.  
There seems to be some confusion on how text tag is applied. A number of users (not sure how many) are adding that tag where only dialogue would apply.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide