Cartoon/Western Animation General

Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
Another thing I appreciate about Tangled the Series, which helps to differ it from other shows.

Rapunzel is powerful, and competant.

Now I like underdog heroes, I like the idea of the unlikely savior. But they’re seriously overexposed. Dipper’s terminal nerdiness and numerous character flaws, Twilight’s tendency to just fail horribly until the conclusion, Adora getting her ass kicked all the time and harboring enough self doubt to keep phycologists in work for decades, Aang and Korra rarely winning a fight without the Avatar state…

Rapunzel on the other hand rarely fails at anything. She’s multitalented, a physical beast, a good strategist, and highly charismatic. The show does a good job keeping it challenging for her with emotional stakes, competent villains and unfavorable odds, rather than by making her weirdly incompetent in order for the plot to work.

Sure, I don’t want EVERY hero to be some super prep, kinda privileged, overpowered pretty princess, but the opposite has become so established that it’s nice to have a hero who’s genuinely cool and dominant.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Sparx  
She’s kinda like Goku. She’s goofy and charming, but the audience is frequently reminded that she will wreck your shit if you mess with her. Sure you can decry the fact that she gets a new OP powerup every week, but you can’t deny that it’s very cool watching her kick ass.

Also, glowy yellow hair!  
full

…and broody, grumpy frenemies with deep insecurities!  
full
Background Pony #A060
qua Teen Hunger Force was the prototypical Adult Swim stoner comedy show.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@TheHappySpaceman  
While I can kinda understand that, at the same time, I feel a person’s voice is what should matter in voice acting, not what race they are.

It’s like saying only a Japanese person can voice the Shredder in TMNT, and usually he’s voiced by a black American man. (James Avery, and Kevin Michael Richardson.) Nobody complains about that.  
Or it’s like saying only a person with an authentic southern accent can voice Applejack, Goofy, or something.

I dunno I have mixed feelings on that. I understand some don’t like “whitewashing” voice characters, (and it could lead to stereotypical voices, but then again, some authentic voices do that anyway) and having more minority voice actors would be great, but at the same time I don’t mind if say a black person voices a white person. (Kevin Michael Richardson voiced the Joker before, and his “normal” look was shown to be white.)  
So I dunno, it’s a slippery subject, especially with how racial relations have been recently.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@TheHappySpaceman  
Quite. Although, this just feels like they’re trying to get an PR for the show, because she never had a problem voice the character for 3 seasons- or maybe trying to leave it for any reason.

Although; It’s also funny how they just want to typecast actors as the skin color they are.

full full full

Glad, these came out before all this. :v
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Vivace  
(Excerpt from news site.)  
Bell, who called playing Molly “act of complicity” that “shows a lack of awareness of my pervasive privilege,” will remain on the 20th Century Fox TV-produced show, playing a new character.

Oh God, not that “privilege” shaming stuff again… Though, if the character is biracial, then wouldn’t it be equally bad if they voice her with somebody of the opposite race, but not mixed like the character is?

It’s like the more P.C. we get, the more we focus too much on a person’s race… It’s a slippery subject. Though, as I said I think it’d be nice if more minorities did get the opportunity to be in the animation industry, but a person doesn’t have to be from New York to do a NY accent.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@Beau Skunky  
@Cyborg_pony  
I think the obvious solution for this is just to cancel Big Mouth.

@Dex Stewart  
I’m with @northern haste. While I like the idea, how exactly would a Magic School Bus film even work? The bus and field trips were basically just a framing device to talk about science. Unless they go the edgier, action-packed route with it like they did with Dora.

The grown-up kids from Ms. Frizzle’s class meet for their twenty-year reunion, all having PTSD from almost dying multiple times on the teacher’s infamous field trips. They realize that she is still on the loose and decide to team together to put a stop to her once and for all before she hurts any more children.

…On second thought, maybe that’s too similar to It Chapter Two. :P
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide