Star Wars General

Zerowinger
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@TheSupremePatriarch  
The prequels were…extremely frustrating to say the least. The clunky dialogue, the poor pacing, the absolute mess that was Attack of the Clones. Yet in spite of that 1.) Lucas was obviously trying to do something new and original, and not just rehash the OT, and 2.) it produced some really interesting secondary content: new worlds, new species and factions, excellent spinoff material in the forms of games, novels, comics, and of course both Clone Wars cartoons.

I don’t think you can say the same about the sequel trilogy or really any of the Disney era stuff, save for Rebels and some of the early novels (plus Thrawn).
TheSupremePatriarch
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@zerowinger66  
I think part of that is the entire setting has to go through some pretty big contrivances in order to create (or re-create) the very specific scenario in Awakens.

The Empire self-destructs in a very unbelievable manner and the New Republic goes full pacifist in order make them vulnerable to the First Order.
Zerowinger
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@TheSupremePatriarch  
“Hey, let’s not have the decisive battle of the Galactic Civil War occur over Coruscant and the Core Worlds - you know, the actual friggin’ political and economic center of the Galaxy - but over some backwater planet (that’s totes not Tatooine, you guys!) as part of some hare-brained scheme to annihilate both the Rebellion and the forces devoted to maintaining the political order developed by Palpatine even following his death…because damnit, JJ needs to have the next movie start on a desert planet covered in war debris! We’ve already started work on the sets!”

The thing is, even in the aftermath of this setup there was germ of an interesting idea. I had earlier compared the Imperial remnant/exiles/First Order founation described in the Aftermath books similar to the Axis Zeon from the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise - the remnants of a defeated old foe that fled to the depths of space, slowly rebuilt their strength, and then returned to renew the conflict on their terms while their opponents were embroiled in other internal matters. (I particularly like this comparison as it could lead to my man Thrawn and his forces being the equivalent to the Delaz Fleet, with an adaptation of the events of the Thrawn trilogy being the Star Wars equivalent to Operation Stardust, something that weakens the New Republic or throws them off of their balance in such a way that they become vulnerable to the First Order).

Another lost/wasted story opportunity - many of the new books had mention of a dark presence at the far edge of Galaxy, one that had been calling out to Palpatine himself, and the Thrawn novel specifically states that there some kind of dangerous power or force deep in the unknown regions that the Chiss consider to be an even greater threat than the Empire. There were enough hints to give the impression that this force was Snoke, and that thus he was significant to the overall story of the sequel trilogy if not the entire saga. But then Rian Johnson said “lol, nope!”
Darth Prime
You are being deceived - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

@zerowinger66  
The last Thrawn book made it sound like the Chiss on the verge of civil war while not really doing anything about threats but the ones shown weren’t Force-sensitive.  
Thrawn’s thing was trying to get the Empire’s aid for he’s side.
Zerowinger
Non-Fungible Trixie -

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@Darth Prime  
…Okay, I haven’t read the new Thrawn book, but that doesn’t sound like at all to square with what was revealed in the previous book. Unless I’m misremembering, Thrawn had basically told Nightswan that he had not, in fact, been exiled at all, but actually sent on a secret mission by the Chiss ascendancy to ascertain whether or not the civilizations in the core worlds were a threat to the Chiss and from there 1. seek allies to either directly or indirectly help them guard against whatever threat they were facing (hence why he recruited Eli Vanto and sent him there) 2. get the major powers officially allied with the Chiss or 3. barring that, infiltrate or influence the major power(s) to ensure that they not only did not threaten the Chiss ascendancy, but offered a more tempting target to whatever this force is so it would focus on the galactic core and not the Chiss ascendancy.
Darth Prime
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -

@zerowinger66  
The threat in that book is called the Grysks.  
The way they’re explained to operate is they infiltrate cultures they find what is important to that culture they take it and use it to leverage servitude from them in the case it was || children Force-sensitive children that are used as pilots/navigators. ||

|| “There were stirrings of political conflict when I left my people for the Empire those many years ago,” he said “I assumed the Aristocras would settle their differences, as they have so many times before. This time, perhaps they could not. Or perhaps the Grysks have made deeper inroads into our culture than I’d hoped.”
Vader gazed at the Chiss, feeling the dark irony deep within him. “So you who have never hidden your contempt for the Republic’s handling of the Clone Wars now stand on the edge of your own civil war?”
“Or have already taken our first steps into it,” Thrawn said. “If one side is already under the control of the Grysks…” He shook his head. “Your earlier thought was perhaps more closer to the mark than you knew. Perhaps the true purpose of closing the border is to prevent me from bringing the Empire against them.” ||
neutralgrey
Silver Bit -

@zerowinger66  
Here’s the thing though. There is potential! The only problem is the lack of creativity on the writer’s part, this is Star Wars we’re talking about! It should be a playground of potential ideas, heck I’m pretty sure most of us here can come up with new ideas that would be better than anything Rian would come up with.
Darth Prime
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -

@neutralgrey  
Short of it was there was set up for character arcs that were forgotten/dropped within a few episodes of said set up.  
It was also the first real depictions of a post war world with Decepticons working with Autobots until something stirs them up which leds at least one con questioning he’s loyalty which ends up going nowhere.  
Then there was the faction of Autobots that had differing opinions on how to handle the situation than Optimus Prime setting up good guy against good guy that least maybe two episodes if I’m being generous then it becomes “teamworks great!”

Also the dubbing was atrocious the VAs do what they can with the material they had to work with but even if you had a straight translation from the Japanese the story might make sense but it’s not great.

The point being it starts with neat ideas but then says “nah let’s not do that.”
TheSupremePatriarch

it can be done

It wasn’t though.

Abrams wanted his mysteries that go nowhere and nostalgia.

Rian went on an 18 hour binge of TV tropes, wrote a first draft, never revised that draft, and made TLJ from there.
neutralgrey
Silver Bit -

@Holofan4life  
It’s almost like there’s two versions of Vader

The family friendly version that usually shows up in ads and stuff, and the real Vader

The family friendly Vader is…family friendly.

The real Vader is an evil bastard who’s responsible for fucking everything up and the deaths of countless innocent people
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide